• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MNF: Bills vs. Bengals *game suspended* - prayers for Damar Hamlin

LinvilleGorge

33 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I might be misremembering but wasn't it some War Vet who gave him the
"kneeling during the anthem"  Idea?  

It was. He specifically sought a way to be respectful.

He was demonized largely by complete idiots who absolutely understood nothing about what he was doing.

The NFL got scared that it would alienate the fanbases, which in hindsight was absolutely not the case at all. People who stopped watching or claimed to, largely were never dedicated fans or in a lot of cases literally did not watch NFL in the first place.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I don’t know about y’all but it’s disgusting the NFL is slowly quietly trying to float the idea that maybe the tackle didn’t cause this. I’m sure their legal team is playing it hard for when the lawsuits start flowing. 

There is no way the NFL is going to be sued, are you serious?  

This was a completely random incident.  You know how low the odds of this happening are?  There's been billions of tackles in NFL history and this is the first time (to my knowledge) this has happened.  It was a freak accident.  It requires getting hit at the absolutely perfect moment and it isn't like the contact between Higgins and Hamlin was beyond the norm.  Nobody is getting sued and I'm sure the NFL and/or Bills will take care of Hamlin for however long he needs it.

And I know everyone wants to treat the NFL as this evil business but it was the medical staff on the field that kept him alive.  Why would the Hamlin family sue them?  They would almost certainly lose.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Lungs healing is an interesting statement. Maybe we aren't correct in our assumptions or maybe that's CPR damage?

I’m guessing his lungs suffered extensive damage too. Even with getting his heart beating again and hopefully blood going to his brain that doesn’t mean his lungs were getting the electrical signals or oxygen in they needed to function. I don’t want to assume.

But he could have had one or both collapse from the stress/oxygen deprivation/CPR. With all that gear strapped on tight. There’s only so much room in the chest cavity for the lungs to fill and if the gear impacted it that could have been an issue too. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I’m guessing his lungs suffered extensive damage too. Even with getting his heart beating again and hopefully blood going to his brain that doesn’t mean his lungs were getting the electrical signals or oxygen in they needed to function. I don’t want to assume.

But he could have had one or both collapse from the stress/oxygen deprivation/CPR. With all that gear strapped on tight. There’s only so much room in the chest cavity for the lungs to fill and if the gear impacted it that could have been an issue too. 

Not a medical doctor but I do think cpr for that long a time can itself cause some damage, plus all of the other complications you mentioned...

Aka I don't think we should assume we were wrong about what happened yet.

Been a long time since I took a CPR class though.  One of the doctors on the forum will know more, I'm sure.

• Beer 1

31 minutes ago, countryboi said:

the more I read about what happened to Hamlin the more I realize this was not just a football injury. This could happen to any one of us with the right chest trauma. Some how that makes it scarier because most of us dont have a ambulance on standby. 

From what i have heard a doctor explain of the incident and the specific condition its called the impact to the chest had to be at an exact point in the heart beat cycle in order to induce a heart attach. Its almost impossible to do without it being a random freak accident.  The odds are astronomical of it happening again. 

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

From what i have heard a doctor explain of the incident and the specific condition its called the impact to the chest had to be at an exact point in the heart beat cycle in order to induce a heart attach. Its almost impossible to do without it being a random freak accident.  The odds are astronomical of it happening again. 

I think the quoted stats are less than 50 cases of this a year on average of that commotio cortis happening. 

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

I don’t know about y’all but it’s disgusting the NFL is slowly quietly trying to float the idea that maybe the tackle didn’t cause this. I’m sure their legal team is playing it hard for when the lawsuits start flowing. 

I'm not surprised. The cloud of CTE still hangs over the NFL. They don't need a new version of that. If they can potentially deflect away from this being an artifact of the game they play I fully expect them to do that.