• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harbaugh to Carolina Makes Too Much Sense...

chknwing

34 minutes ago, t96 said:

Some of the best coaches in the entire league have been full control guys -- Belichick, Reid, Carroll...

The issue wasn't giving a coach full control, it was who we gave it to. Harbaugh already has a proven track record of significant NFL success, I would have zero hesitations giving him whatever he wanted and letting him run things.

Reid is not a full control coach. He defers on personnel stuff to Brett Veach.

I'm not opposed to him coming in, and think that he has the best chance for long term (5 years) success of all the coaches out there.

That said, don't want him to have full control, probably not in the cards.  What we really need is a Head of Football Operations, but Tepper isn't going to do that, so this likely has the best chance of working out.

I think his problems in SF were with Baalke, IIRC?

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Okay, I wasn't aware he had that. Especially with a guy like Schneider being there.

Which, in reality, even complete control is still a collaborative effort. Being a full time HC and full time GM is too big of a job for anyone, really.

Fitterer already signed up with that as his deal so I doubt there would be much of an adjustment there.

Yeah agreed and that would be the case with Harbaugh too, it would just be him having final roster say, which I have no issues with. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The vast majority of GM/HC relationships are collaborative by nature regardless of the org chart.

Agreed but that aspect of "final say" is pretty important. 

And some of those relationships aren't as collaborative. We have definitely heard plenty of those stories, even in our own organization.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, YourLastThought said:

If he wants full control as I have seen mentioned here I would at least feel better about it with Harbaugh than with Rhule. Something tells me Harbaugh is not an absolute walking buffoon as Rhule was in the NFL. 

Tepper has stated he won't give a head coach full control again.