• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

IMO, If we hire Wilks with Reich as OC, we win the NFCS one or both of the next two years. I think the players believe in their improvement under him, and they would rally behind him to play ~10 win football with a FA QB like Carr or even Darnold <gasp>.

Problem is that would be the extent of it. We would be back above average with that combo, but never a true contender. The benefits of galvanizing the locker room with a Wilks hire would have diminishing returns after that and we'd be back to mediocre. I just see a low ceiling with the ball control style of play I'd expect from Wilks.

Edited by ECHornet
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Looks like the Broncos wanted to cover their asses in case Tepper doesn’t let Payton leave today

At first it was reported Payton was scheduled for a 2nd interview Wednesday and now they’re back tracking that statement 

Not exactly...

Honestly sounds like Payton is taking the initiative, but I'm not sure he'd do so without some positive indication from the Broncos.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

16 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I have a feeling ol Payton is just getting a free steak dinner and the nicest bottle of wine on the east coast and then dipping. I respect it. 

If that was the case and he just wanted to push his price up, he coulda done a zoom call with the Panthers like he did the Texans. (Who are out of the running according to Bronco insiders) 

It's down to the Panthers and Broncos for Payton. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Who are the other three coaches besides Reid that are still in the Super Bowl race?

For that matter, who were last year's Super Bowl coaches?

An incredible amount of recency bias being used here. 

let’s not forget that Zach Taylor was all but fired before Burrow saved his ass last year. The Siriani hire was destroyed by nearly everyone when it was made.  His success is more indicative of the job that Howie Roseman has done than anything he’s had his hands on. 

For every Sean McVay, there’s an Adam Gase or a Mike McCoy lurking. For every Kyle Shannahan, there’s a Cam Cameron or a Rob Chudzinski or a Nathaniel Hackett near by. 

I’d even argue that McVay and Shannahan are exceptions to this rule due to the tree they come off of. 

1 minute ago, ECHornet said:

Unpopular opinion:

If we hire Wilks with Reich as OC, we win the NFCS one or both of the next two years. I think the players believe in their improvement under him this year, and they would rally behind him to play ~10 win football with a FA QB like Carr or even Darnold <gasp>.

Problem is that would be the extent of it. We would be back above average with that combo, but never a true contender. The benefits of galvanizing the locker room with a Wilks hire would have diminishing returns after that and we'd be back to mediocre. I just see a low ceiling with the ball control style of play I'd expect from Wilks.

That's why we should just go get shane steichen  as our head coach he coached 2 top qbs he is a qb Whisper

4 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Unpopular opinion:

If we hire Wilks with Reich as OC, we win the NFCS one or both of the next two years. I think the players believe in their improvement under him this year, and they would rally behind him to play ~10 win football with a FA QB like Carr or even Darnold <gasp>.

The goal is to win a Super Bowl not the lousy NFC South is it not?

• Pie 1

I would honestly take either of Caldwell or Reich over Wilks. I think Caldwell gets a bad rap. Yes, he had Manning when he was HC of the Colts, but if you take out the Manning neck injury year where the owner mandated the tank for Luck (they started a washed up Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter the entire year), he's got a 60-36 record (.625 win %). He went 36-28 with the Detroit Lions - the Lions have had 10 HCs over the past 20 years and he's the only one with a career win % over .500.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

The goal is to win a Super Bowl not the lousy NFC South is it not?

I agree. 

Some here do not. They mentioned they would rather have respectable seasons over a number of years than one Super Bowl and then below average.

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

An incredible amount of recency bias being used here. 

let’s not forget that Zach Taylor was all but fired before Burrow saved his ass last year. The Siriani hire was destroyed by nearly everyone when it was made.  His success is more indicative of the job that Howie Roseman has done than anything he’s had his hands on. 

For every Sean McVay, there’s an Adam Gase or a Mike McCoy lurking. For every Kyle Shannahan, there’s a Cam Cameron or a Rob Chudzinski or a Nathaniel Hackett near by. 

I’d even argue that McVay and Shannahan are exceptions to this rule due to the tree they come off of. 

You mentioned coaches having been successful this year. I'd call that 'recent".

I would add since you're arguing for retreads, the historically successful retreads you were talking about were overwhelmingly guys who did not win a Super Bowl on their previous job.

As has been mentioned here before, no Super Bowl winning coach has ever replicated that success with a second team.

Edited by Mr. Scot