• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

Panthers coaching search tracker: Eagles’ Steichen interviews, Patriots’ assistant passes

BY MIKE KAYE

[email protected]

2 hours ago

The Carolina Panthers’ coaching search will pick up speed next week.

Candidates currently employed by NFL teams are not allowed to have in-person interviews until Tuesday. So, once that deadline passes, the Panthers will be able interview a handful of candidates that they’ve asked permission to speak with about the head coach position.

Here is the latest on the search, as of Saturday:

Jerod Mayo, New England Patriots linebackers coach: The Panthers requested to speak with Mayo earlier this week. However, according to a league source, Mayo passed on the interview opportunity this weekend. The Patriots announced earlier in the week that the franchise was negotiating a contract extension with Mayo. Phil Perry of NBC Sports Boston was the first report Mayo’s pass on an interview.

▪ Shane Steichen, Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator: The Panthers interviewed Steichen virtually on Saturday, a league source confirmed. The Eagles have a first-round bye in the playoffs, so Steichen was eligible for a virtual interview this weekend. He will not be able to interview in person with any team until the Eagles are eliminated from the playoffs or get a bye week before the Super Bowl.

▪ DeMeco Ryans, San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator: The Panthers requested permission to interview Ryans earlier in the week. However, like with Mayo, that interview won’t take place. A league source said logistical reasons were a factor. The source also said there is a chance that both parties circle back for an interview later in the process.

With the Ryans and Mayo interviews falling through, it’s important to note that the Panthers need to interview two external minority candidates in person before making an official offer as part of the league’s Rooney Rule.

▪ Frank Reich, former Indianapolis Colts head coach: Reich interviewed with the Panthers in person on Wednesday, a league source confirmed. Reich was eligible for an in-person interview because he was fired by the Colts during the season.

Steve Wilks, interim head coach:Wilks interviewed with Panthers executives on Tuesday. Wilks went 6-6 during his 12-game stint as interim head coach after replacing Matt Rhule (11-27).

▪ Jim Caldwell, former Detroit Lions head coach: Caldwell interviewed with the Panthers on Monday. Caldwell has not coached in the NFL since 2019 and turns 68 next week. Caldwell’s interview meets the criteria for one of the two external minority candidate considerations in the Rooney Rule.

▪ Ben Johnson, Detroit Lions offensive coordinator: The Panthers will interview the North Carolina and Reynolds High School (Asheville) graduate on Wednesday, according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero. Johnson completed a virtual interview with the Colts on Friday.

▪ Ken Dorsey, Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator: The Panthers requested to interview Dorsey earlier in the week. Dorsey wasn’t eligible to interview virtually this week because his team had a wild-card round game.

▪ Kellen Moore, Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator: The Panthers requested to interview Moore earlier in the week. Moore wasn’t eligible to interview virtually this week because his team had a wild-card round game.

Mike Kafka, New York Giants offensive coordinator: The Panthers requested to interview Kafka earlier in the week. Kafka wasn’t eligible to interview virtually this week because his team had a wild-card round game.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

45 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

It would stink to have to cut Wilks loose. I am very torn. I could be convinced to keep Wilks and pair him with stud coordinators. However, the thought of a fresh offensively-minded HC is exciting. 

I’m really hoping Wilks gets it. In my eyes he did a great job and deserves a  shot. 

• Pie 1

I don’t have anything against ben Johnson and he might be a good head coach but I feel like Tepper is being extremely short sighted again and going all out for the hot name. That’s what got us in the Rhule mess. I know there are obvious differences in coaching background, experience, etc but to me these young OC’s either hit or they crash and burn. And they only hit when they get paired with a star QB, which is the obvious formula for winning in the NFL. Wilks did more with less. He earned a shot but he probably won’t get it. Let’s just hope mr. brass balls isn’t doing this whole thing again 3 years from now. Color me pessimistic.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

I don’t have anything against ben Johnson and he might be a good head coach but I feel like Tepper is being extremely short sighted again and going all out for the hot name. That’s what got us in the Rhule mess. I know there are obvious differences in coaching background, experience, etc but to me these young OC’s either hit or they crash and burn. And they only hit when they get paired with a star QB, which is the obvious formula for winning in the NFL. Wilks did more with less. He earned a shot but he probably won’t get it. Let’s just hope mr. brass balls isn’t doing this whole thing again 3 years from now. Color me pessimistic.

How is he going all out for one name? We are interviewing over NINE people ….wouldn’t just hiring wilks outright being going all out for one name?

• Pie 6
  • The D 1

2 hours ago, Growl said:

lol the fact that he puts it in parenthesis counters his own point

It was unimportant. They couldn’t win any grudge match or meaningful game they played. They lost every time. They padded with their record against patsies and never came through when it counted.

Exactly.  Every above average team they lost and every game that actually mattered they lost.  He went .500 against a bunch of below 500 teams.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

How is he going all out for one name? We are interviewing over NINE people ….wouldn’t just hiring wilks outright being going all out for one name?

Remember this? And now we already have a second interview with no reports that any of our other candidates have received that. Read between the lines. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Seattle didn’t count ?
Detroit didn’t count ?

Tampa didn’t count ?

I get you don’t like Wilks and that’s ok but give him his due. The previous coach had a $64 million contract and left a trail of poo miles long 

TB had a losing record and Seattle and detroit finished 9-8, and we split with TB and our coaching staff was totally exposed the second time we played them.  Those teams werent exactly regular season juggernauts.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

TB had a losing record and Seattle and detroit finished 9-8, and we split with TB and our coaching staff was totally exposed the second time we played them.  Those teams werent exactly regular season juggernauts.

Exactly. The panthers missed the playoffs in the worst division in football so yes, all those wins are meaningless.

• Pie 5
  • The D 1

6 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

Remember this? And now we already have a second interview with no reports that any of our other candidates have received that. Read between the lines. 

Dude we haven’t had our interview with Ben Johnson yet. Our first meeting with him next week. You are making up the second interview piece. You are doin way more than reading between the lines… you are making theories up in your head and believing they are true.

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You are aware there are playoffs going on right now right?

No need to be a smart ass. Our owner has a very simple brain, especially for being a billionaire. I have no idea how he made so much money to be as dumb as he is. Our next coach will be Ben Johnson unless we get outbid, which is not likely.

5 hours ago, PantherMan89 said:

Well now sounds like Mayo interview won’t happen. 

Tin-Foil Hat time :

It sounds like they don't want to be the "required minority interview"(Rooney Rule)

Tepper needs one more Rooney Rule interview to satisfy the rule so he can go ahead and pick his Head Coach but considering there have been 2 now who turned the interview down, it almost seems like it's a deliberate attempt (however unlikely) to prevent him from proceeding further.