• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera fires an old friend

Mr. Scot

36 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Yea..somebody had to go.  As tight as Rivera is with the Turners it has to be a job saving (or delaying) move for Rivera.  Scott was given nothing to work with at QB.  Still can't believe that Rivera thought WenTz could be the guys after Reich could not salvage him.  He must have had Hurney whispering in his ear.

Probably did him a favor.

Marty knows a thing or two about saving his ass.

(it's what he does best)

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, countryboi said:

This feels like BS, they were 5th in offense with Taylor heinicke, Wentz and a questionable running game. If anything this is on Ron for pulling the trigger on Wentz. 

I believe he feels they are/can do better. They do have some low-key weapons in 3 WRs, 2 RBs, and a sleeper TE.....but that OL is ooooof. 

Looks like the players, or some of them were not confident in their OC but it also looks like there were mixed messages from the top.

Washington’s struggles were connected to myriad factors, including inconsistency at quarterback. But the offense and the play-calling became a source of frustration in the locker room as nearly a dozen players shared their gripes about its predictability, its lack of production and certain calls that seemed to detract from the strengths of the team’s personnel.

In short, the players believed that, given the talent on the roster, they should be producing and winning more.

“We did a nice job getting into the red zone. We just got to convert with touchdowns,” tight end Logan Thomas said. “I think that was a little bit of our struggles. In the red zone, you got to be able to run the football for touchdowns. We got to be able to make plays. It stinks that we didn’t get the job done ... because we have the talent.”

“I thought we [found our identity in Week 10] when we won in Philadelphia,” left tackle Charles Leno Jr. said. “I felt like that was our identity. We started to get on a win streak after that, and at times we got away from that for whatever reason. I don’t know what the reason may be, but that’s not my job. I just got to go out and do mine.”

We were 2-to-1 pass-run, which is not our formula. As you saw, this last game, we were 2-to-1 run-pass. ... That’s how we want to play.”

Mayhew and Rivera said their emphasis on the running game is a philosophical belief rooted in their experience

The problem with that: Washington’s offense seemingly was constructed with a focus on the passing game. Not only did the Commanders trade for Wentz, they drafted a wide receiver, Jahan Dotson, in the first round.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/10/scott-turner-fired-commanders/

• Pie 1