• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

HC Candidate List

Bear Hands

5 minutes ago, Basbear said:

You have a nightmare with reich as OC?? 

I think hes one of best options for OC, in the current market......if not for the jets being the old jets and axing lafleur, id say hes the best. 

Moreso a Wilks/Caldwell combo. Reich is better but not by a wide margin. He may have gotten a raw deal in Indy but he was a part of that mess on offense we can’t totally dismiss it. I'm just of the opinion we don't tie ourselves to aging coaches that are being left behind by the changing NFL.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

I don’t see any of these guys being our savior without a QB to pair them with.

I have tried looking at the most successful coaches in history and even currently. I’d say the most common denominator for coaches to succeed really lies in having a great QB.

I wish there was an easy correlation or trait to look for that determines a HC success level other than their roster, especially their QB but I can’t seem to find anything else.

Wilks did horrible in AZ but showed he was light years better than Rhule, given the same roster and even did it while losing CMC.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out but I’m even more invested in seeing if we can find a legit QB again. 

5 hours ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Problem is that OC is probably gone in a year or two - that's why guys like Johnson, Kafka, Steichen, Dorsey are getting looks this go around even though they only have 1-2 years OC experience.

Could see Lafleur being an OC on DeMeco Ryans staff, btw.

Thats why you pair a qb coach that you believe can take over oc duties in 2 years. 

6 hours ago, frankw said:

Moreso a Wilks/Caldwell combo. Reich is better but not by a wide margin. He may have gotten a raw deal in Indy but he was a part of that mess on offense we can’t totally dismiss it. I'm just of the opinion we don't tie ourselves to aging coaches that are being left behind by the changing NFL.

How many head coaches faced what Reich did in Indy?

After year one they were optimistic because they had Andrew Luck and had made the play offs. What does Luck do? Retire in preseason. Not the off-season when it gives the team a chance to draft, trade for, or sign a replacement quarterback - but retire in the preseason. So in year two he gets stuck with Hoyer and Brissett, good luck winning big with one of those guys as your quarterback.

Year three? They sign Rivers and return to the play offs. Once again Reich is kick down low because his quarterback retires. At least Rivers did it in January. So three years into the job he’s had two quarterbacks retire on him. What does his GM decide to do? Trade for a reclamation project in Carson Wentz… when that failed what did their GM decide to do? Trade for another short term fix in Matt Ryan. 

It honestly bewilders me how their GM has kept his job and Reich has been fired. I don’t recall any other coaches having to deal with five different starting quarterbacks in consecutive seasons. If anyone failed Indy it is their GM by not fixing the QB position, and that’s before his hit and miss drafting and free agency signings are considered. 

All of that aside, I do agree that we need to stay with the times and not get stuck in the old ways, but at the same time we can’t rule out experience like Reich. He’s a good coach and has done a good job as an OC in the past. I think he’d be a good appointment as OC under Wilks.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, RJK said:

If they hire wilks the panthers ceiling is the titans under vrabel. I'd like to aspire to more at the risk of being less than hovering around .500 but losing every meaningful game. 

Is the Titans ceiling tied to their head coach or their quarterback?

Ryan Tannehill is a middle of the pack quarterback. There’s only so much you can do with that caliber of quarterback. It’s up to their GM to upgrade their QB position and he decided to draft Malik Willis who, well, looked terrible and got outplayed by Dobbs.

Vrabel is a good head coach. He’s not Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan. So he’s not a sexy offensive guru, but he’s a solid head coach like the Ravens coach Harbaugh. We could do worse than hire someone that gives us the same stability and competitiveness.

What the GM needs to do is ensure the team has its answer at quarterback. At that point, you can compete for a championship. 

20 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Official (Interviewed or Requested):

Frank Reich

/cdn-cgi/mirage/8fde5dca59f25768fa42caeef5a6e6e8800846482a7b4eaab6ee7942318b673f/1280/https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/01/06/PIND/fb3edf5a-e90b-4017-922b-b2dbb3f9dc69-ColtsTexans_mk_37.jpg

Also referenced in the classic, best diss track ever  "Hit Em' Up", by 2Pac circa 1996

Lol what? 

might wanna play that track back bro.  Frank WHITE not Frank Reich.  

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, Mike2.0 said:

How many head coaches faced what Reich did in Indy?

After year one they were optimistic because they had Andrew Luck and had made the play offs. What does Luck do? Retire in preseason. Not the off-season when it gives the team a chance to draft, trade for, or sign a replacement quarterback - but retire in the preseason. So in year two he gets stuck with Hoyer and Brissett, good luck winning big with one of those guys as your quarterback.

Year three? They sign Rivers and return to the play offs. Once again Reich is kick down low because his quarterback retires. At least Rivers did it in January. So three years into the job he’s had two quarterbacks retire on him. What does his GM decide to do? Trade for a reclamation project in Carson Wentz… when that failed what did their GM decide to do? Trade for another short term fix in Matt Ryan. 

It honestly bewilders me how their GM has kept his job and Reich has been fired. I don’t recall any other coaches having to deal with five different starting quarterbacks in consecutive seasons. If anyone failed Indy it is their GM by not fixing the QB position, and that’s before his hit and miss drafting and free agency signings are considered. 

All of that aside, I do agree that we need to stay with the times and not get stuck in the old ways, but at the same time we can’t rule out experience like Reich. He’s a good coach and has done a good job as an OC in the past. I think he’d be a good appointment as OC under Wilks.

Like I said he definitely got a raw deal. No argument about Wentz they have some very poor management in the front office. Jim Irsay say no more. But he's 61 so the most you're going to get is a couple seasons. My biggest thing is seeing some real innovation. We have basically a void at TE the position is a complete afterthought most games. Wilks is a really big gamble no different than any of the coordinator to head coach first timers would be. And the thing with Wilks is he's making some of the same gaffes Rivera did early on punting instead of going for it kicking field goals when the game is slipping away. We just don't need a rerun of this and if it happens and one of these other coaches go on to have success this place is going to be very unbearable. I just hope we get this right.

Edited by frankw