• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers receive permission to interview Sean Payton

TheSpecialJuan

4 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I don’t know if it was said in here, but to get an interview we had to agree to terms of a trade if hired. So I wonder what the damage is? 

You brought up a very valid point! I swear pick 9 would need to be off limits. I'd assume it would be a package of 2nds or future stuff. Regardless.... Im leary to hear the details of it. 

Edited by Lurk21
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

You brought up a very valid point! I swear pick 9 would need to be off limits. I'd assume it would be a package of 2nds or future stuff. Regardless.... Im leary to hear the details of it. 

Yes pick 9 should not be touched. If they can swing no first rounders, that’d be wild. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

Yes pick 9 should not be touched. If they can swing no first rounders, that’d be wild. 

Word is they are looking for Gruden type comp…which is steep

The deal was done by 3 a.m. on Feb. 18, 2002. The trade was for four draft picks -- first- and second-round picks in 2002, a first-rounder in 2003 and a second-rounder in 2004 -- and $8 million. Gruden would make almost $4 million per season for five years, more than tripling his salary.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

The deal was done by 3 a.m. on Feb. 18, 2002. The trade was for four draft picks -- first- and second-round picks in 2002, a first-rounder in 2003 and a second-rounder in 2004 -- and $8 million. Gruden would make almost $4 million per season for five years, more than tripling his salary.

My answer would be heck no then!

30 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Done! 

1 hour ago, Mage said:

I mean to be fair how many Super Bowl HCs end up leaving the team they won with and head coaching somewhere else?

Andy Reid made it to a Super Bowl with Philly and won with KC.  Would it have made a difference for KC's chances if he won in Philly?

Not arguing for Sean Payton, but I feel like the list of guys who "didn't" do it is awfully short.

If he takes a new job, Payton will be joining Doug Pederson and Mike McCarthy as current coaches with prior rings from elsewhere.

In my time, I've seen Jimmy Johnson, Jon Gruden, Bill Parcells (multiple times), Mike Holmgren, Papa Shanahan, Mike Ditka and of course our own George Seifert win in one place but fail to repeat in their new jobs. Most never even made it back.

As far as guys who lost or didn't get there in their first go round but made it with a new team, besides Reid there's Dick Vermeil, Tom Coughlin, Bruce Arians, Gary Kubiak, Pete Carroll, Tony Dungy, Tom Flores, Gruden again and of course Belichick.

I always feel like Marv Levy deserves a mention here too because while he didn't technically win a Super Bowl with the Bills, he did at least get to four of them in a row. Hard to imagine anybody's ever going to be able to match that accomplishment.

Bottom Line: History strongly favors the guys who don't have a ring already.

Obviously, it's not impossible to guide two teams to a championship, but it's incredibly hard and not a single coach (including some all-time greats) has been able to do it.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

If Payton is offered the job, I will never watch another game, pay for anything Panthers logo'd, or even post here as long as Tepper is still owner. Everything Panthers related I own will be burned. The Green Bay Packers will become my team of record, but i don't know how closely I would follow them.

I will NEVER support a Sean Payton coached team, and any owner who hires him has permanently killed any desire to support their team. Even considering Payton would demonstrate a severe and unacceptable lack of moral judgement or outright indifference.

Anyone who stands for anything meaningful has their uncrossable line.

This is mine.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

If Payton is offered the job, I will never watch another game, pay for anything Panthers logo'd, or even post here as long as Tepper is still owner. Everything Panthers related I own will be burned. The Green Bay Packers will become my team of record, but i don't know how closely I would follow them.

I will NEVER support a Sean Payton coached team, and any owner who hires him has permanently killed any desire to support their team. Even considering Payton would demonstrate a severe and unacceptable lack of moral judgement or outright indifference.

Anyone who stands for anything meaningful has their uncrossable line.

This is mine.

That's dramatic!

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1