• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Graziano: Fangio leading DC Candidate in Carolina for Young HC

UNCrules2187

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

If you want Sean Payton you just hire him and let him build out his team/staff.  Simple as that.  

Which is why I believe we might have been instructed to interview him, since Tepper and new management are unfamiliar with Fangio.

Edited by philit99

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:
  • 14th in rush yards allowed per run
  • 22nd in pass yards per game allowed
  • 22nd in total yards per game allowed
  • 25th in sacks
  • 23rd in 3rd down percentage
  • 19th in points allowed

I wouldn't call the defense awful -- let's put it in context, no one after Brian Burans (12.5 sacks) that can rush the passer, no one after Jaycee Horn, and in some of your cases begrudgingly so after Donte' Jackson. A list of JAGs on the IDL, and Off-ball LB'er, Shaq is good but over-paid, Luvu had a career year but has limitations, Wilson fell out the rotation, and Littleton was a decent contributor. With the emergence of Derrick Brown, and IO the IDL depth was weak.

Even with those things, finishing 19th in PPG allowed is relatively impressive, for an offense as limited as ours was it was clear in several games the team just got tired on defense. Being top 15 in the league versus rushing yards per play is impressive as well. 

Some Playoff teams worse than 19th in PPG allowed:

• 18th - GB (included as they were one rank above us, but have a HOF QB)
  • 21st - LAC
  • 24th MIA 
  • 25th - SEA
  • 29th - MIN
  • 30th - DET (included since they were a fringe playoff team if they could beat us)

The one thing all those teams have in common...they all had legit offenses with either a combination of competent coaching, quarterback play, or both. 

No one here is gonna say Darnold is competent, at best you could maybe say streaky...he's inconsistent. 

The saying is, and always will fall back to, ''the best defense is a good offense'' and we haven't had a ''good offense'' since 2018 before Cam got injured. 

The defense was much better before Wilks and holcomb took over with the same roster.  Also, all of those rankings are in the bottom third of the nfl.  That's below average at the very best  

30 minutes ago, philit99 said:

Which is why I believe we might have been instructed to interview him, since Tepper and new management are unfamiliar with Fangio.

I mean, but that's still not the norm.  They weren't interviewing Joe Brady publicly because Matt Rhule wanted to bring him in. 

I do find it odd that we have seen 2 young coordinators pass on a NFL HC opportunity here.  Think that says a lot. 

I mean, I just can't blindly act like our front office suddenly is now smart.  I think they are just doing more dumb stuff.  Just different dumb stuff. 

• Flames 1

37 minutes ago, CRA said:

If you want Sean Payton you just hire him and let him build out his team/staff.  Simple as that.   You don’t need a bad front office dictating coordinators to a HC hire. 

Now have 2 young coordinators saying no thanks to a NFL HC opportunity here. What’s that say.  

If you want to give Payton an add incentive to coach your team wouldn't hiring his preferred DC before anyone else could be a good one?

16 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

If you want to give Payton an add incentive to coach your team wouldn't hiring his preferred DC before anyone else could be a good one?

I would think Sean Payton largely already has who he wants ready to go wherever he goes.   I don't think the Panthers have the ability to take his preferred option off the market.   His guy is just going to wait on him to go wherever and then Payton hires him. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I would think Sean Payton largely already has who he wants ready to go wherever he goes.   I don't think the Panthers have the ability to take his preferred option off the market.   His guy isn't just going to wait on him to go wherever and then Payton hires him. 

What would stop them from hiring a future coaching candidates chosen coordinators? If you want that coordinator you hire them. Especially if you have a candidate or candidates that dropped that coordinator as their DC if hired. If you know this ahead of time why let the competition sign those coordinators? It's a chess game and you have to be thinking several moves ahead. 

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

What would stop them from hiring a future coaching candidates chosen coordinators? If you want that coordinator you hire them. Especially if you have a candidate or candidates that dropped that coordinator as their DC if hired. If you know this ahead of time why let the competition sign those coordinators? It's a chess game and you have to be thinking several moves ahead. 

But again, that’s a front office picking a HCs staff for him.  And if Payton doesn’t then come?   

that’s not the normal NFL model.  HCs want to bring their own staff with them.   Not have their coordinators chosen for them.  Sounds dysfunctional.  Sounds Panthery. 

and let’s just pretend for a minute Payton isn’t the guy we hire.   I don’t buy this just being a Payton move.  I think it is Tepper trying something different and going too far to correct a prior mistake.  He feels duped by Rhule.  Now overcorrecting.  And young coordinators don’t want the gig.  Which you almost never see.   And we have multiple now staying away.  Because what new HC wants Tepper/Fitt telling them who their coordinators are going to be. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

But again, that’s a front office picking a HCs staff for him.  And if Payton doesn’t then come?   

that’s not the normal NFL model.  HCs want to bring their own staff with them.   Not have their coordinators chosen for them.  Sounds dysfunctional.  Sounds Panthery. 

and let’s just pretend for a minute Payton isn’t the guy we hire.   I don’t buy this just being a Payton move.  I think it is Tepper trying something different and going too far to correct a prior mistake.  He feels duped by Rhule.  Now overcorrecting.  And young coordinators don’t want the gig.  Which you almost never see.   And we have multiple now  staying away 

All of that may be true and probably is. I just think that if this DC was mentioned during the interviews by several candidates that you "knew" you were going to hire between,  I think it would behoove you to at least interview that coordinator before someone else beats you to it. The coach would already have his DC on staff and ready to go. But that's just my thinking.  Hell, they could just be throwing $hit at the wall for all we know. 

How about we wait before we complain about "what-ifs"?  

We have no inside knowledge about the situation and as of now we have not hired any coordinator.  So lets wait and see what happens when we get a HC before automatically assuming Tepper is trying to force staff on a HC.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1

I would agree if these young coordinators were specifically pulling out of the Panthers search but staying in contention for other open jobs, but that's not the case.

Ben Johnson - also interviewed with Colts and Texans; decided to stay put

Mike Kafka - didn't pull out, just delaying HC interviews until Giants are out of playoffs

Shane Steichen - interviewed last Saturday; still a candidate and can't be interviewed again until Jan 30th if Eagles advance

Ken Dorsey - interviewing this Saturday

Kellen Moore - interview requested, haven't seen any mention of him pulling out of the search

DeMeco Ryans sounds like this was a logistics issue, but maybe he did decide to pull out; in any case, I think if the Panthers go with a defensive hire, it's going to be Wilks anyway.

9 minutes ago, trueblade said:

To be fair, Johnson didn't just pass on us, he passed on the other teams he had already interviewed with as well. 

True.  But my stance is the young OCs are passing on us because of our front office. 

And he also passed on the Texans and Colts.  2 other giant red flag front offices.