• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

29 minutes ago, RJK said:

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but it’s already a losing combo. Time to play a different tune. 

Actually you dont have proof yet.  Wilks was 6-6. That’s .500 and not losing. 

Edited by ickmule
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I take it you don't have old family members who get turned down in the workforce because of their age.

They do this all the time in warehouse jobs like Walmart/Amazon/etc...

They choose the younger worker over the older worker every time. They look for longevity in those companies. I know this because my aunt is a supervisor at a WalMart warehouse. They most definitely look at age in warehouse jobs.

I know a amazon manager and he told me the 60 year olds work much harder than the current 20 year olds. Said he looking for more and already got 3...

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Close.

The defense got worse when he took over

This is sort of misleading. Our offense was so bad under Rhule that the opposing teams didn’t need to score more points. Wilks at least had this team scoring more points. Wilks and Snow were both horrible in situational football. Times when the defense could get off the field, we failed miserably with both Snow and Rhule. A good defensive coordinator should get the right personnel and call in for down and distance. You know whether to blitz on passing downs and whether to run blitz on short distances. Wilks should send more corner blitzes if he coaches defense again in the future. We could not get pressure up the middle and our corners could not stick long enough, if your zone fails to get pressure then the zone fails.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, OldNorthPowell said:

Wilks will play a boring, pound the football style offense that doesn't work in today's game. He will have a solid defense and a terrible offense. Go 10-24 in his first 2 years and get canned. Save this. Bookmark it. Ya heard it here first. 

To Wilks defense there though.  What else was he supposed to do.

He had what was reguarded as the worst QB room in the NFL 

probably the worst TE room 

and a Below avg WR room.

With a OC off the streets that was about the only one willing to work for Rhule.

Did you actually think he was going to sling it around 50 times a game with that?

That May be what he wants.  But we never know.  What we do know, he adjusted to his strengths/weaknesses and got it done.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I take it you don't have old family members who get turned down in the workforce because of their age.

They choose the younger worker over the older worker every time. They look for longevity in those companies. I know this because my aunt is a supervisor at a WalMart warehouse. They most definitely look at age in warehouse jobs.

lol no one is turning anyone away from a Walmart/Amazon warehouse job. Those companies hire anyone that apply. You only have to have a pulse and no drugs in your piss.

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

these are coaches not players.... I just dont understand this whole arguement about coaches being too old... its not like they are out there playing....

Well, it's not like it's unheard of to retire in your 60s. Though maybe it's personal bias, coming from my own personal experiences with family slowing down or passing around Reich's age.

Edited by Krovvy

1 minute ago, frankw said:

The Jaguars hiring Doug P seems to have worked out alright. If a retread is all we have to look forward to just hire Reich I guess.

Nearly every single coach at some point has been fired, this talk has got to stop.....im losing my last two cells...

If anyone can name three head coaches that have never been fired at any point in their career, please DO!! Here I will even help tons- Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh are the only two I can think of and I do not care to look up their history, cause I know 99,999765434567% have been fired.....

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I would keep that to myself if I were her. But that doesn't surprise me from a company like Walmart. 

obviously no employer with half a brain cell is going to straight up tell a candidate they were passed over because of their age. that is the express train to lawsuitsville. they can make the exact same decision and cloak it in language to cover their asses. and that often happens.

I don't really think this applies in this situation though. hiring head coaches in their 30s is overwhelmingly a recent phenomenon. 61 years old is not too old to be a successful coach in the NFL in and of itself. I think that's pretty well documented, no?

but mostly I want to speak to this idea that you want to hire a coach for a ten-year period. that just so rarely happens, to the point that I don't think it's a realistic thing to expect. John Fox, if I recall, just barely by the seat of his pants made it to ten years. Rivera made it what, 7-8? and both these coaches won coach of the year awards, and took their teams to super bowls. you just don't judge a hire based on that criteria, full stop.

if you get 5 solid years and the coach leaves the organization in a better place than they found it? you've got a good hire, in the grand scope of things. in that sense, there's really no compelling reason to prioritize a coach who will be 45 in ten years vs 70 in ten years.

of course everyone wants to find the Mike Tomlin who will grow with the team and coach for a generation. but those candidates don't come around every year, frankly. and you've got to have the organizational buy-in to not only stick with the coach for that amount of time, but mold the operations and vision so that you get the most out of what they have to offer.

the Panthers just aren't in that spot right now, according to the coach search group. they feel they're a bit farther down the line. I know there are many users on this forum that vehemently disagree with that. but they feel they're ready for a coach to take them to "the next level." I think that's pretty clear. and you don't rip it down to the studs and reset the clock towards playoff aspirations if you feel you just got finished doing that.

• Pie 1

I’m ok with either Reich or Wilks as long as the OC and DC are young and or innovative. Keeping Campen and Tabor are borderline musts also. Wildcard that would make me elated is adding Luke to the staff and stealing Brian Griese from the 9ers.