• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I don't think there is a great coach that is available right now.  I would say Payton but the Saints want too much and Tepper is only looking for yesmen.  

The better question I would go with would be who I can I deal with? If I have to chose between Reich and Wilks I'd probably go Wilks.  It's not that I think he would take us to greater heights then Reich but because he earned the opportunity.

Smaller learning curve for the players with Wilks, conversely Wilks also has more familiarity with our players. The players love him. Also we got a chance to see improvement with Wilks at the helm.  Reich, we know nothing.

I would reluctantly take Reich if Wilks didn't find a new DC and OC.

I just feel like we all know what's going to happen if we hire Reich.  We are going to end up with Carr.

We need a coach who can deliver a big time game plan in big games and I just don't think it's out there right now.

I know I probably would have explored Harbaugh a bit more.

True about Carr. I like Reich over Wilks because I have more confidence in him to build a better staff. I just don't think Wilks is going to be able to assemble a better staff than Reich and the tree he'd pull from would be Rivera, which we are all tired of and don't want to see repeated. At least Reich can pull Pederson and Sirriani trees and the hope is that we can also pair him with Vic Fangio...at least that's my hope. 

Edited by therealmjl
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Yes I would still fly in the hottest coaching candidate down for a second interview to give them the benefit of the doubt, thats if the story is true, which I guess we will see.

We tried that but he back to the Lions. 

Steichen isnt the hottest coaching candidate. Id argue that Ryans is hotter than he is when it comes to performance on the field

• Beer 1

Just now, Cdparr7 said:

This is one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen. 

Pete Carroll was fired before winning a SB with another team.

Jon Gruden was traded before winning a SB with another team.

Bill Belichick was fired before winning multiple SBs with another team.

Andy Reid was fired before winning a SB with another team.

Mike Shanahan was fired as HC of the Rams before winning two SBs with the Broncos. 

That's a bad take. 99 percent of coaches have been fired and don't do squat.  At least give me a guy who has had won some playoff games.

Gruden and Bellicheck were both traded for btw. Andy Reid had sustained playoff success in Philly. He went to 4 straight NFC championship games and a SB. Shanahan had John Elway, the best RB, an elite Online, and two HOF receivers.  

4 minutes ago, joemac said:

What were they even trying to accomplish here?  Why flex the o-linemen out wide?  Nobody thinks they're going to catch a pass.  Has anybody actually said what this play was supposed to accomplish, had it been successful?

Olsen: “This looks like my flag football team"

Has anyone ever seen a play like this before? 
“Never,” texted one former head coach and offensive coordinator when I sent him that question with the video clip. https://theathletic.com/4118977/2023/01/23/dallas-cowboys-season-playoffs/

Super Bowl champ Jimmy Johnson has one-word tweet to describe Cowboys' final play:

Tweet
 Jimmy Johnson
@JimmyJohnson

Dumb…..

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Panthering said:

4 remaining teams in playoffs are Bengals, Chiefs, Eagles, 49ers and they are the clear cut best 4 teams in this year I'd say. All Offensive Head Coaches, 4 of the last 5 SB winners are all offensive head coaches with the lone exception being Belicheck. 

Andy Reid is the best coach of them all, he's been here a minute. And I would argue the other 3 teams all have significant experience and time in the NFL too. You can't just go cherry pick the OCs from those teams and expect results. It takes an entire staff, give me the guy that knows his limits, and fills all the holes with proven men who've coached men. Taking a dart throw on a hot name worked out well with us with the last guy huh?

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Steichen isnt the hottest coaching candidate. Id argue that Ryans is hotter than he is when it comes to performance on the field

According to the media...

And that's our problem as fans. All we know comes from NFL and team media reports. Those same reports last year had Nathaniel Hackett as the second coming of Bill Walsh (spoken as someone who bought in).

There's no way for us to see what's really going on behind closed doors.

• Pie 3

43 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

excuse me for calling bullshit on someone who says Shane s didnt interview well on zoom.  What the fug does that even mean?  If we cross him off the list because of a damn zoom call and not bring him down then tepper and fitt are even more moronic then I currently think.

Nobody even knows what they discuss in these interviews.  Especially on one done via Zoom while the coach is preparing for a huge playoff game.  Maybe Shane said "fug you, I hate Bojangles and Charlotte sucks.  I would never coach there".  Who knows what happened?

5 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

True about Carr. I like Reich over Wilks because I have more confidence in him to build a better staff. I just don't think Wilks is going to be able to assemble a better staff than Reich and the tree he'd pull from would be Rivera, which we are all tired of and don't want to see repeated. At least Reich can pull Pederson and Sirriani trees and the hope is that we can also pair him with Vic Fangio...at least that's my hope. 

I get the staffing argument.  I will say though that Wilks did a good job with another man's staff (no pun intended). 

I think we saw great improvement with Wilks with a staff in flux, injuries at QB, and the CMC trade. 

It's an easier mental gymnastic to be able to prorate that success if Wilks gets a full season with his own staff and training camp.

With Reich everything is new again and I wouldnt know our trajectory.  

• Pie 1

Reich got fuged by Luck retiring. 

Was the revolving door at QB after Luck (and not drafting and developing a young QB) Reich’s fault or the GM’s? Anyone know?

Because his record with Brissett, two corpse QB’s, and Wentz is pretty good. 

Makes you wonder what he could do with some consistently at the position. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, DJ feed me moore said:

im 100% sure wilks isnt that guy so at least there would be some form of hopium I could get behind.

Yeah, Wilks just seems to be doing the same thing we have done basically forever. Not that it is the worst thing ever but it hasn't led to back to back winning seasons and has only led to 7 winning seasons in 28 years. But....I guess we did get Superb Owl appearances with the last two versions of Steve Wilks.