• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interview Thread IV: A New Hope

Ricky Spanish

8 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

General Excitement.

Rivera was a great candidate with a track record of success at multiple stops leading Defenses to top 5 finishes multiple times. 

I think he was in the top 2 in terms of who the fanbase wanted between him and Harbaugh, and even many Harbaugh stans were fine with the hire as a consolation prize. 

We could have gotten Harbaugh? Man Harbaugh with rookie Cam make me salivate. 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i think any of the people we've got lined up for 2nd interviews are an upgrade over the past couple HCs. get wilks teamed up with a good OC and he's definitely better than rivera. 

i see wilks as the floor for this group of prospects 

……snip….

17 minutes ago, rayzor said:

wilks has the players. reich would win them over easily. 

i just kind of like the idea of having a guy that doesn't need a learning curve as a HC and if that guy is an offensive guy with a good bit of success, especially in less than ideal situations, then bring him in. 

I think Steve Wilks has through the roof potential as boss of a football team. IMO his leadership is the best ever in Panthers history (such as it is). He was just outstanding. 

I am okay with Reich, was always open to him. He is one of the few they could get with bona fides in training quarterbacks, he has been a head coach. Checks the boxes. 

But keeping Wilks as DC is something that would be fraught with potential division, that could undermine a HC. I think both guys are mature enough and smart enough to not let that be a thing between them, but it is a hot potato waiting to happen.

Besides, I really think Wilks is a better HC than a DC, just eyeball and memory.  

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

For people who were here during the Rivera hiring. 
What was everyone’s opinion before Rivera got hired? 
I know Richardson wanted an offensive coordinator HC but he was letting Hurney lead the hiring and went along with the Rivera hiring. 
Was it excitement or disappointment?

If I recall I was indifferent to it much like I am with this one and others in the past. It is what it is.

13 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

For people who were here during the Rivera hiring. 
What was everyone’s opinion before Rivera got hired? 
I know Richardson wanted an offensive coordinator HC but he was letting Hurney lead the hiring and went along with the Rivera hiring. 
Was it excitement or disappointment?

He was seen almost universally as a great hire.  The only skepticism was because he had interviewed for YEARS and never got the job.  But at the time I don't recall any Panthers fans being disappointed.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, stratocatter said:

……snip….

I think Steve Wilks has through the roof potential as boss of a football team. IMO his leadership is the best ever in Panthers history (such as it is). He was just outstanding. 

I am okay with Reich, was always open to him. He is one of the few they could get with bona fides in training quarterbacks, he has been a head coach. Checks the boxes. 

But keeping Wilks as DC is something that would be fraught with potential division, that could undermine a HC. I think both guys are mature enough and smart enough to not let that be a thing between them, but it is a hot potato waiting to happen.

Besides, I really think Wilks is a better HC than a DC, just eyeball and memory.  

being a leader doesnt make you a great football coach

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

We could have gotten Harbaugh? Man Harbaugh with rookie Cam make me salivate. 

I don't think we talked to Harbaugh.  The only Harbaugh/Panthers affiliation that I can recall is people wanting to pair Harbaugh and Luck together.  That had a real possibility... if Luck had came out of school.

8 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Reich HC/Wilks DC - would we still receive two third round compensation picks if Wilks chooses to go elsewhere as DC (i.e., Falcons)? I'm unsure if the interim label changes that.

Gonna need to change the defensive entirely to make Wilks scheme work. He relies on blitzing and his DBs picking up the slack. 
We saw in 2017 the best and worst of the scheme. 
When it worked it really worked. When it didn’t you got the first Saints game, well pretty much every Saints game in 2017. 
Our passing defense was really bad. But we had a ton of sacks. Six of one, half dozen of the other I guess. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1