• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is starting to get nasty with coach wilks.

ncguy2184

7 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Trying to use their 2022 records or the fact that Reich was fired this year (by the Colts) is as ignorant and shallow an argument as there could be. Even if you are too lazy to actually pay attention to the games Wilks coached this year, ignoring the epic failure in the game that mattered most, all you have to do is look at their history and it’s obvious Reich is far more qualified and accomplished. And that’s still not even taking into consideration the offensive vs defensive guy thing. Or the fact that despite being a defensive guy, Wilks is bad at running a defense. There is absolutely no informed argument for Wilks over Reich. 

Reich has paid his dues just as long or longer to come back "home" too.

How many black assistant coaches and coordinators are fired each year? And why aren't those coaches getting a Skip Ball-less and Shannon Mushmouth Not-So-Sharpe running to their defense when they get fired?

Nobody said a fugging word when Wilks got canned after his 3-13 head coaching performance with the Cardinals. Nobody said a fugging word when he was named interim upon Rhule's firing. But, now that he doesn't get hired, everyone now wants to come to his rescue?

Wait.. so there's 31 teams out there with quite a few of them needing a new coach this year, and we're the only ones who actually gave him an interview, yet Tepper is a racist for not hiring him?

What the actual fug?

Edited by Raskle
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

8-4 would have been "credible". 10-2 would have been "incredible".

If we're really being honest 6-6 was OK. 7-5 would have been "good".

Not to mention that the New Orleans win at the end of the season wasn't something you'd be happy with.  It basically came down to who could lose the game the most and not win it. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The biggest problem with the Skip rant was that he said the leaders on the team should basically boycott playing over it.

The guy couldn't even be bothered to find out that the team leaders already came together and made a statement of support for the hire, that they loved Wilks, but understood the football reasons of the hire of Reich.

That's it, it's over, there should be zero media or fan backlash anywhere once that was put out there.  The whole (and really only) argument people were able to make for Wilks was that the team wanted him the most.  So if the leaders are then coming out with a "we get why we went with an offensive coach instead" statement so quickly, it never should have been a story.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

The problem is that it looks bad when you hire a white coach who got fired in 2022 with a 3-5 :record and he is hired over a black coach who took a dysfunctional team and produced a 6-6 record which is much better and came within a broken wrist away from taking us to the playoffs. You can hide behind the notion that Tepper wanted an offensive guy  but the expectation that Wilkes has to go to the playoffs versus Reich got fired and immediately gets hired again on the surface surely fuels the discussion there were 2 different standards. Especially given a report from one of our writers that Wilkes had a good plan on offense.

Be careful, there is something weird happening on this board.  If your honest about this, there are an army of people trying to poo the post.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with your post. 

I don't have a problem with Reich.  He's a good man and a good coach.  This conversation isn't about him.  This is about the efficacy of the Panthers process or lack thereof.

Reich's daughter being hired weeks ago is an absolute red flag.  In no world is it more likely a coincidence then not.  I happen to think that Reich was decided on while the season was still going on.  There is no way they didn't reach out to Reich after he was let go in Indy.  I don't think there is anything wrong about that either.  What is the issue is the lack of transparency, and lying to Wilks about a possible opportunity he had. 

I don't think it's racially motivated.  I think it is rooted in that the Panthers wanted to go offensive, but they definitely mismanaged the situation, and it's led to an optics and PR nightmare that will result in a nice settlement check owed to Steve Wilks.  As soon as they made the decision to go with an offensive mind they should have disclosed that to Steve as opposed to stringing him along making him believe he had an actual shot at the gig.

Not a smart play with a guy who has active case against the NFL.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

How many black assistant coaches and coordinators are fired each year? And why aren't those coaches getting a Skip Ball-less and Shannon Mushmouth Not-So-Sharpe running to their defense when they get fired?

Nobody said a fugging word when Wilks got canned after his 3-13 head coaching performance with the Cardinals. Nobody said a fugging word when he was named interim upon Rhule's firing. But, now that he doesn't get hired, everyone now wants to come to his rescue?

Jim Harbaugh wanted this job. The candidates were more experienced than Wilksy and Reich is a former NFL QB/QB coach/OC/HC. That's a full resume not many men can match.

Nothing racist about it. If it was Wilks vs Deon Sanders for a HC position right now, who would get it. Tossup in my opinion, some may decide neither but the point about "tiers" is self evident. Now say Mike Tomlin. That's another tier. 

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So what should they have done then

They should have just been honest with Wilks about their direction as opposed to creating a fake interview process and keeping him in the dark.  It probably cost him opportunity.  I'm sure he would have been hard at work trying to land at another spot much earlier if he had been adequately warned.  No way around it, the Panthers absolutely screwed Steve Wilks.  Not saying it's due to race, but he was screwed over and I am mad for him.  Wilks has been nothing but classy.  He did not deserve this, and we don't deserve him honestly.

Edited by TheMaulClaw

Just now, rippadonn said:

Jim Harbaugh wanted this job. The candidates were more experienced than Wilksy and Reich is a former NFL QB/QB coach/OC/HC. That's a full resume not many men can match.

Nothing racist about it. If it was Wilks vs Deon Sanders for a HC position right now, who would get it. Tossup in my opinion, some may decide neither but the point about "tiers" is self evident. Now say Mike Tomlin. That's another tier. 

It's not about race, it's about creating a fake interview process.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Be careful, there is something weird happening on this board.  If your honest about this, their are an army of people trying to poo the post.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with your post. 

I don't have a problem with Reich.  He's a good man and a good coach.  This conversation isn't about him.  This is about the efficacy of the Panthers process or lack thereof.

Reich's daughter being hired weeks ago is an absolute red flag.  In no world is it more likely a coincidence then not.  I happen to think that Reich was decided on while the season was still going on.  There is no way they didn't reach out to Reich after he was let go in Indy.  I don't think there is anything wrong about that either.  What is the issue is the lack of transparency, and lying to Wilks about a possible opportunity he had. 

I don't think it's racially motivated.  I think it is rooted in that the Panthers wanted to go offensive, but they definitely mismanaged the situation, and it's led to an optics and PR nightmare that will result in a nice settlement check owed to Steve Wilks.  As soon as they made the decision to go with an offensive mind they should have disclosed that to Steve as opposed to stringing him along making him believe he had an actual shot at the gig.

Not a smart play with a guy who has active case against the NFL.

It gets pooed on because its supporting an argument for those that arent looking at the whole history of each coach or have been watching our games.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheMaulClaw said:

They should have just been honest with Wilks about their direction as opposed to creating a fake interview process and keeping him in the dark.  It probably cost him opportunity.  I'm sure he wouldn't have been hard at work trying to land at another spot much earlier if he had been adequately warned.  No way around it, the Panthers absolutely screwed Steve Wilks.  Not saying it's due to race, but he was screwed over and I am mad for him.  Wilks has been nothing but classy.  He did not deserve this, and we don't deserve him honestly.

He was in no way screwed over. We interviewed many and Wilks had the free will to interview with whatever team he wanted. Being interviewed doesnt mean he will be hired, he couldve just gotten his name out there. There are still teams needing a head coach, has he been interviewed yet?