• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we won't get the #1 pick

DaveThePanther2008

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I agree.  It will be interesting to see some of the other QBs perform at the combine.  There might be a prospect that we could get in round two. 

A bad qb draft makes that a better value.I'd just load up bpa and draft a clayton tune in 4th or 5th rd as a bridge to next draft.Wont hurt when we cut him and would be a win if he can play in the league.No desperation needed.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

56 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

A bad qb draft makes that a better value.I'd just load up bpa and draft a clayton tune in 4th or 5th rd as a bridge to next draft.Wont hurt when we cut him and would be a win if he can play in the league.No desperation needed.

No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

Too much logic in that post for the huddle to even comprehend. 

I see all this praise for the Offense QB genius we have hired and how he can take a number one pick and coach/develop him into a star. Sounds great. If you have a can’t miss number one, and  you can get him. 

What I have not seen is people saying what he could do for a current player that hasn’t quite caught on the the speed of the NFL game or just hasn’t put it together. Like what the Panthers have been trying to do the last two years post Bridgewater. 

We have any guitar players here? There is an analogy waiting to be made that applies. Or could. Formulated from the fact that a great player can take an average instrument or even a bad one and make it sound great. I used the word ‘fact’ because that absolutely is a fact. Anyone who has handed their instrument to a great player, and isn’t one themselves, knows this well. 

Fans may be overlooking the possibility that our best shot in the current scenario could be taken with a proverbial used Mexican Strat…  in the hands of a great player. 

I am as sick of the reclamation bargain bin as anyone else, but the last three times we did not have a guy that could do much with them. Now we do and that is what makes it different this time around. 

One more time with the right people involved probably gets us somewhere, and still sitting with a 1st round pick to use on offensive weapons, defensive beef, etc. 

I just don’t think any of these college QBs are worth not having a first round pick for the next two or three years. A bad draft day decision there at this point would mean years of setback. Years. Who sees a can’t miss that we would have a shot at?  Not me. I don’t believe there is one. 

So I won’t flip out all over the top Huddle style if that is the way they go.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

We are all hoping but I really believe the highest we can probably trade up is 5.  One of the top 3 are maybe there but that is seriously debatable.  I think surprisingly Young might be the guy dropping because of size but who knows.  The reality is we aren’t in a good position to get a QB in his draft unless you like AR15 and the Raiders might take him.

Ending up with CJ Stroud feels like an impossible scenario.

Young is really confusing to me. I think he'll be the first QB taken because the Bama QB's are starting to trend in the right direction and guys like Kyler have shown that shorter guys can make it work. Bryce is a good kid, very accurate. I wish him the best but yeah that size worries me long term.

I am almost ready to guarantee that the Panthers trade up to the top 5. We have the ammo to do it an our Owner is sick and tired of waiting. He knows what BOA needs, a rookie. He's gonna be standing over Fitt just like when they traded up for MC last year and telling him to pull the trigger. 

I'll be a happy fan if we walk away with Stroud or Levis. I don't care what it costs, quit playin around.

• Pie 1

Truth is that there's no such thing as a good QB draft until years after it's happened. People always put the next draft as the good one rather than the current one. Besides, relying on a "good" QB draft seems like code for, "which one gives me the best chance to have an all-pro talent fall to me at pick 12 once I've gone 7-10 for the 8th straight year?" If you're sitting at #1 or #2, a "good" or "bad" QB draft doesn't exist because you don't care about who falls where.

• Pie 4

40 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Truth is that there's no such thing as a good QB draft until years after it's happened. People always put the next draft as the good one rather than the current one. Besides, relying on a "good" QB draft seems like code for, "which one gives me the best chance to have an all-pro talent fall to me at pick 12 once I've gone 7-10 for the 8th straight year?" If you're sitting at #1 or #2, a "good" or "bad" QB draft doesn't exist because you don't care about who falls where.

Has zero to do with any other draft in the past. It has to do with who is in this draft and who is in the next. There are at least 2 cant miss prospects in the next draft, which along your line of thinking can only prove not to be until yrs in the future.Drafting one of these current qbs are 3 yrs down the rd from desired success, while a one yr wait  for a qb wouldn't prolong that timeline.A bad qb draft does exist and we are staring it in the face and it doesnt matter who is #1 or #2.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

The mock draft I watched that inspired my post had Richardson going to us at #9.  If things were to fall this way than IMO it is the most ideal way the draft could unfold.  We would get a talented QB that needs grooming and a QB whisperer head coach.  And we would not have to give up any picks to get him. 

Yeah none of these QBs feel like a sure thing so I’d rather try out Richardson. 

16 hours ago, ncfan said:

This

And just look at the overall roster.  People bitch and moan about our defense.  But the fact is, we have a whole lot more to work with on that side, and it’s not Close.

We have a better OL in place (if Bozeman is resigned)

We have a Number 1 WR locked in.  We’re just in a better position now to drop in a QB.

Agree on defense but according to PFF, the falcons had the 5th best OL this year after being ranked 29th last year. Think Panthers were ranked 10th-11th this yr up from 24th the year before.

Drake London is also easily going to be a #1 WR. 333 yards in last 4 games after Falcons benched Mariota.

• Poo 1

12 hours ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Andrew Luck was the can’t miss prospect of the Cam Newton class until he decided to go back to school. Spencer Rattler had future first rounder written all over him until he didn’t. Jevan Snead went from first overall projections to undrafted in one season. Maye or Caleb could stay in school. They could get hurt. They could play worse. 

The last kid from Carolina was a sure fire first rounder and then he wasn’t. Until they are declaring they are not a can’t miss prospect of the class. 

• Flames 1