• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Payton and Wilson

Mr. Scot

From the article...

For most people, there’s a sharp difference between things they’ll say publicly, and the things they’ll say privately.

Terry Bradshaw is not most people.

During Fox’s pre-Super Bowl media availability, Vic Lombardi of Altitude Sports Radio in Denver asked Bradshaw a series of questions about his soon-to-be-former Fox colleague, who is now the head coach of the Broncos.

“We hung with him,” Bradshaw said, establishing a clear foundation for his basis of knowledge about Payton’s preferences. “We would talk, and he would talk and talk and talk.”

And then it slowly started to get more and more interesting.

“I’d say, ‘You can’t go to Charlotte,'” Bradshaw said. “That’s the NFC South.'”

OK, fine. Makes sense. No controversy there.

“You can’t go to Houston,” Bradshaw said. “They don’t have a quarterback down there. And you don’t want to be in Houston.”

But then it got good. Bradshaw was asked about Payton coaching the Cardinals and quarterback Kyler Murray.

“He didn’t want to work with that quarterback,” Bradshaw said.

And then Lombardi swooped in for the hammer: “He’d rather work with Russ?”

“I don’t think so,” Bradshaw said, bursting out a big ol’ Louisiana laugh. “But that’s all he’s got. He’s got no choice. But I’ll tell you one thing. He’ll get the most out of him.”

Payton truly has a no-lose situation. If Wilson works out, Payton is a hero for turning him around. If Wilson doesn’t work out, it’s not Payton’s fault. And then Payton gets a fresh start with a new quarterback.

Other than Kyler Murray, of course.

There’s a chance Payton is dismayed by Terry’s loose lips. There’s also a chance Payton is pleased that his message was communicated to the work in a way that seemed spontaneous and unintentional.

Edited by Mr. Scot

15 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

This the same terry bradshaw who said Sam Darnold was the best qb the panthers ever had.

I meant strictly from something he's been told.  His opinions are completely different, and often bullshit.  I guess what in saying is, he isn't the brightest bulb in the box.

Just now, Proudiddy said:

I meant strictly from something he's been told.  His opinions are completely different, and often bullshit.  I guess what in saying is, he isn't the brightest bulb in the box.

Never had been.

That said,you don't have to be a genius to repeat what someone said (especially when you probably shouldn't)

4 hours ago, rayzor said:

Wilson won't like not being coddled.

Whining will happen.

Roman Harper said on his podcast with Kyle Bailey that Payton will fug with him a lot to in practice and stuff try and get under his skin and essentially toughen him up

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Shocker said:

Russell Wilson was so overrated and Denver is going to pay for making that move. Payton won’t change that.  I can see some serious infighting happening even as soon as next season

Yes. The chemistry on that team seems very volatile.so add payton to that volatility. 

8 hours ago, MtnJax said:

Roman Harper said on his podcast with Kyle Bailey that Payton will fug with him a lot to in practice and stuff try and get under his skin and essentially toughen him up

i don't see that happening. i mean i see payton pushing him. i just don't see wilson toughening up. he'll go home every day crying. he might not even wait until he gets home.  

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That’s not what I mean. The article implied Payton didn’t want Wilson. I’m saying if he didn’t want Wilson (fixing <> replacing him), he would have gone elsewhere because he’s stuck with 3 years of Wilson.

Where is he going to go? It's either Wilson or Murray.  So his ego thought that Wilson would be his best shot to win.   Payton is not what he thinks he is.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Bradshaw doesn’t seem like a guy who would make something up, so I'm pretty sure if he is sharing it, Payton said it. Also, if yall caught Payton's response to being questioned  about whether he'll allow Russ' personal QB coach in the facility, it's pretty clear Terry is telling the truth.  I think Payton's gonna look to get his own guy in there rather quickly.

Thing is they can't cut Russ til 2025 and even then it would still be an $18M dead cap each year for 25 and 26 lol. 2027 it'll be down to $8M dead cap

29 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Thing is they can't cut Russ til 2025 and even then it would still be an $18M dead cap each year for 25 and 26 lol. 2027 it'll be down to $8M dead cap

Yeah, but I could see Payton bringing in a guy like Taysom Hill or drafting a rookie and just sitting Russ just to prove a point.  

I think he'll try to see what he can do with Russ, but I don't think he's all in with him and his leash will be rather short.

• Beer 1