• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about Matt Corral

jfra78

3 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

We and the Panthers organization and NOT you believe Matt Corral will translate to the NFL as well as most scouts and mock drafts and everybody inbetween who projected Matt Corral as a late first rounder for football reasons. It was for his first real injury in years and bad mouthing from the Gretzkystans that blessed him with the fortuitous drop into the hands of the team that truly loved him, and Ickey.

You're reasons aren't football reasons either.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/fca5f8343d5e151eec9f086213a99e9631041342c38fd104d3f1df356d4f8a92/1280/https://media0.giphy.com/media/QAn86MFEGmUeoGaOsH/200.gif

I’m sorry but are you really calling someone delusional??? I mean… surely you can see the irony right??

1 hour ago, Smithers said:

QBs take time to develop.  I like Matt and hope he’s the real deal.  My dad is an Eagles fan and hates Jalen Hurts until this season.  Give the kid time with competent coaching 

Good point.

Trevor Lawrence looked great at the end of 2022. The year before he had 3 games in which he threw 3 INTS.  He even had 4 INTS in the first half of this years playoff game against the Chargers. He had 12 TDs and 17 INTS in 2021. This year those stats were 25 TDs and 8 INTS!

Matthew Stafford threw 20 INTs in his rookie season

Peyton Manning holds the rookie record with a whopping 28 INTs

Those guys have one thing in common, they were all taken with the first pick of the draft. They're given more opportunities to mature/improve because 1) the investment the team has made in them and 2)they all went to terrible teams that needed rebuilding.

Guys taken after the 1st round are usually looked down upon because of their draft position. Anyone picked after round one is automatically labeled a "non-franchise QB". In the right environment these guys could turn out to be just just as good or better than they guys picked ahead of them. Unfortunately, most of them want get the chance because teams will likely panic if they don't excel immediately and decide to go all in for a guy in the top 10.

We haven't seen Corral take a live snap in a regular season game under the guidance of a competent NFL coaching staff and large number of the fans on this board have already written him off. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

What can I say, people should have questions about Corral.  We know nothing about him as an NFL QB.

But, but, but, look at these clips from last preseason.  Uh, yeah, last preseason when a QB who was drafted with the idea he needed some development was given minutes of reps and no coaching whatsoever.  Under that plan, Joe Montana would have washed out.  Romo……gone.  Aaron Rodgers.....who knows?  We knew he would need some development, which implies coaching.  We gave him none.

The “classic” plan would have been for him to start as #3 on the depth chart and be developed into #2 during the regular season, if he can do it.  But our buffoon of a coach didn’t believe in such things.  Corral’s problems include 1) being a redshirt freshman in the Process’ eyes, 2) Mayfield being acquired, which meant there were four QBs vying for two or three spots, and 3) his primary competition for the #3 slot suddenly becoming a guy who was OOU.

The competition for the last QB slot on the roster should have been Darnold vs. Walker.  Mayfield was the de facto #1 when they acquired him (whether we like it or not), and Corral should have been inked in as #3.  The “competition” would have been for the #2 slot.

But again, we had a buffoon running the show and judging the “competitions (not just at QB).”  

Thus, we have a young QB on the roster we know nothing about.  I think Corral has an uphill battle, but I also think he is essentially in exactly the same position he was last year when we drafted him (assuming he recovers from the injury), without the buffoon in the picture

• Pie 3

This is like watching people convince themselves that the Jets were the root of Darnold's problems and we'd fix him. 

Corral is on a cheap rookie contract so he'll be given every chance to compete but don't be shocked when we sign a stop gap vet and draft a rookie high and he's looking at trying to justify a roster spot as a 3rd QB.

16 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You will have to forgive LG and the rest of the Howell fans. They are still sore the Panthers took Corral over Howell and will never give Corral a chance.  

Which QB would you rather have now?

I never trashed Corral for not being Howell. I said he was my #2 QB in the draft. I would've taken Howell but I wasn't mad about taking Corral. But damn... the gap was wider than I thought it was.

ripp did this same shtick with Kyle Trask a few years ago. This is just what he does. He's never been wrong about anything, just ask him.