• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers hire Josh McCown as QB coach

TheSpecialJuan

On 2/11/2023 at 7:59 AM, frankw said:

Surely he can't wait to coach Sam Darnold amirite

Even in jest, your "joke" may come to life :

On 2/11/2023 at 11:16 AM, Mr. Scot said:

Synchronized hair fixing?    I don't have a problem with that with my bald head. 

On 2/11/2023 at 12:30 PM, frankw said:

Just show him the "highlights" from the last game of the season.

stanley kubrick so youre keen on musicccc GIF by Maudit

Unfortunately, they're also going to show him highlights from the other games, too. 

We'll see what happens.

If it was any other person at QB Coach, I would say "No chance Sam is back" but McCown here really muddies the waters a bit on what will happen. 

Edited by glenwo2

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

Even in jest, your "joke" may come to life :

Synchronized hair fixing?    I don't have a problem with that with my bald head. 

Unfortunately, they're also going to show him highlights from the other games, too. 

We'll see what happens.

If it was any other person at QB Coach, I would say "No chance Sam is back" but McCown here really muddies the waters a bit on what will happen. 

McCown is hoping for a head coaching gig. Developing a rookie QB like some other succeasful teams have done seems far more likely than trying to salvage a sixth year bust.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

McCown is hoping for a head coaching gig. Developing a rookie QB like some other succeasful teams have done seems far more likely than trying to salvage a sixth year bust.

From your lips to Jake's ears, man.

All we can do is wait and see.

15 hours ago, frankw said:

See this is why we can't have convos about the guy here. Kurt Warner? You are talking about the same QB who just concluded the season by putting up the worst single game passer rating in Panthers history. Worse than even Jimmy Clausen. Respect to you for standing firm on your position I guess but for me we can do better than Darnold in FA. Just my opinion.

You think we cannot have conversations around here because you  Distort the original post to fit into something "black and white" so you can argue.  It is not "black and white"

You are arguing against my statements that many QBs who were labeled as busts in 2021 turned it around in 2022 with new coaches and systems.  That is a fact.  You are arguing against the concept that this could happen to Darnold with a new coach and system, but you apply your opinions and assume everyone must agree or they are wrong. 

And when I provide examples, you ignore them or mock me for providing an outlier--and in the same post, you do the same thing on the other end of the spectrum.

Coaches are teachers--they do not get under the center with the QB--that is correct.  You got it.  However, please list the physical skills Darnold lacks to be a good NFL QB:

(I'll wait here while you get the list together)

Hint: There are none.

Darnold's issues are cerebral.  The light needs to come on, and when it does, he will be very good.  It may not, and I said that.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

You think we cannot have conversations around here because you  Distort the original post to fit into something "black and white" so you can argue.  It is not "black and white"

You are arguing against my statements that many QBs who were labeled as busts in 2021 turned it around in 2022 with new coaches and systems.  That is a fact.  You are arguing against the concept that this could happen to Darnold with a new coach and system, but you apply your opinions and assume everyone must agree or they are wrong. 

And when I provide examples, you ignore them or mock me for providing an outlier--and in the same post, you do the same thing on the other end of the spectrum.

Coaches are teachers--they do not get under the center with the QB--that is correct.  You got it.  However, please list the physical skills Darnold lacks to be a good NFL QB:

Darnold's issues are cerebral.  The light needs to come on, and when it does, he will be very good.  It may not, and I said that.

I’ve got no fight in this as we all know Sam isn’t the long term or mid term answer 

however, speaking specifically to Tampa, I dont know how many times it was said by the announcers 

a.  No one is open

b. There was no outlet 

c. he has no where to go with the ball

I believe  Mcadoo’s offense could neuter the chiefs 

it is time we get real about the lack of playmakers on the Panthers offense too…no WR that stretches the field, no pass catching TEs.  I like DJ but on the Chiefs and Eagles, he would be the number 2 WR. 

look at the 49ers, McCaffrey is just a piece of the pie, not the whole pie  here, he was everything 

homers don’t like to hear this but past DJ, there is nobody   Championship teams have multiple weapons supporting the QB and OC system in the modern NFL. 

• Pie 3

21 hours ago, MHS831 said:

No I get it.  I even said that his bad rep is earned--

PJ does not have that first round pedigree, but yes, they could benefit him.  Darnold has the God-given tools to be a great QB---his trouble is processing.  Can that be taught?  Yep.   Has he learned it yet? Nope.

Darnold’s problem is he’s also not a very accurate QB. Now, most QB’s, especially on here, when they are deemed to not be accurate, they aren’t given room for any chance to toss that label. 

Darnold has been in the league 5 years, and his accuracy hasn’t really improved. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

It is time we get real about the lack of playmakers on the Panthers offense too…no WR that stretches the field, no pass catching TEs.  I like DJ but on the Chiefs and Eagles, he would be the number 2 WR. 

look at the 49ers, McCaffrey is just a piece of the pie, not the whole pie  here, he was everything 

homers don’t like to hear this but past DJ, there is nobody   Championship teams have multiple weapons supporting the QB and OC system in the modern NFL. 

This part of your post is exactly my concern, and I would prefer not to have Darnold back.  When you look at went on yesterday for 60 minutes, we do not have the horses on offense run with that.  Now granted, there were some defensive lapses by both the Chiefs and Eagles that allowed some of that, but even with those lapses, I am not convinced we have the horses to take advantage.  Those lapses are often set up by having the horses do what horses do.

Maybe the new staff can elevate what we have.  But until I see it, I am not willing to fly with the assumption they are there.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

This part of your post is exactly my concern, and I would prefer not to have Darnold back.  When you look at went on yesterday for 60 minutes, we do not have the horses on offense run with that.  Now granted, there were some defensive lapses by both the Chiefs and Eagles that allowed some of that, but even with those lapses, I am not convinced we have the horses to take advantage.  Those lapses are often set up by having the horses do what horses do.

Maybe the new staff can elevate what we have.  But until I see it, I am not willing to fly with the assumption they are there.

There are some solid WR options available in FA this offseason that we might not have to break the bank to get. Some good speed guys available to stretch the field as well as solid possession guys:

• DJ Chark
  • Nelson Agholor
  • Jakobi Meyers
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • Zach Pascal
  • Mecole Hardman
  • Parris Campbell
  • Jalen Guyton
  • Darius Slayton

Some solid FA TEs available as well that would instantly upgrade our pass catchers:

• Mike Gesicki
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Evan Engram
  • Austin Hooper
  • Robert Tonyan
  • Hayden Hurst

And then there's the FA RB class which is just absolutely absurd:

• Saquon Barkley
  • Kareem Hunt
  • Rashaad Penny
  • Jamaal Williams
  • Josh Jacobs
  • D'Onta Foreman
  • Boston Scott
  • Miles Sanders
  • D'Ernest Johnson
  • David Montogomery
  • Devin Singletary
  • Damien Harris
  • Alexander Mattison
  • Tony Pollard
  • James Robinson

I think if we can prioritize the FA TEs available, then pick up a WR and RB, we're in good shape next year.

• Pie 5

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There are some solid WR options available in FA this offseason that we might not have to break the bank to get. Some good speed guys available to stretch the field as well as solid possession guys:

• DJ Chark
  • Nelson Agholor
  • Jakobi Meyers
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • Zach Pascal
  • Mecole Hardman
  • Parris Campbell
  • Jalen Guyton
  • Darius Slayton

Some solid FA TEs available as well that would instantly upgrade our pass catchers:

• Mike Gesicki
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Evan Engram
  • Austin Hooper
  • Robert Tonyan
  • Hayden Hurst

And then there's the FA RB class which is just absolutely absurd:

• Saquon Barkley
  • Kareem Hunt
  • Rashaad Penny
  • Jamaal Williams
  • Josh Jacobs
  • D'Onta Foreman
  • Boston Scott
  • Miles Sanders
  • D'Ernest Johnson
  • David Montogomery
  • Devin Singletary
  • Damien Harris
  • Alexander Mattison
  • Tony Pollard
  • James Robinson

I think if we can prioritize the FA TEs available, then pick up a WR and RB, we're in good shape next year.

Good post.....and list.

I think my rehab is making process.  My first thought when I went through the list was NOT "which of these guys are from Temple or Baylor."

The other thing yesterday proved was the value of TEs in this league.  Kelce and Goedert were both huge (combined 12 catches for 141 yards).  You can bet the defenses were paying attention to them on every play.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

he isn’t going to be very good, blimey lol

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

He's a sixth year starter. If it hasn't happened yet it isn't likely too. He has a 58% career completion percentage. He isn't even accurate for all the physical tools you keep mentioning. There have been a number of other QB's who have had the same tools as Darnold who have not continually received the benefit of the doubt like he for some reason continues to get here. Hey at the end of the day one can choose to be a believer or a skeptic. The numbers and the eye test say he's who he is and who he's going to continue to be as a quarterback from my point of view. Again you have the right to believe what you want. Bur you were also a Kyle Allen believer at one point too so I'll leave it at that.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1