• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade 9 for Fields - straight up?

musicman

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think we should make a move for Stroud.  Sign Jacoby Brissett.   Roll with Stroud, Brissett, and Corral. 

and see where you can get Stroud.  If you can get him close just go ahead and start the growing process.  If he isn't ready, you open the year w/ Brissett.   Brissett makes the most sense to be the vet leader in what I assume will be Frank's O more so than whatever OC we bring in. 

This isn't directed at you CRA personally, but when fans say move up to get Stroud..  no one knows what you ( THE PANTHERS )  would have to give up to do this.

A first and 2 seconds. ?  2 first and 2 seconds ?  a  1st and 2 seconds and  3rd  ???  

So how can anyone say  " move up to get Stroud "  ??

I think he's got a good chance of making it to be a franchise QB..  but he's not  a Cam, Andrew Luck, Payton Manning, etc ..   So giving up draft picks for a maybe ..  I'm not for it.   Not when a Richardson, Hooker, or Levis  might be just as good with a chance to learn  for a year or more .

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

My thoughts as well.  I really like AR's potential, so I'm leaning towards sitting st 9 and keeping our picks and supplementing the rest of the roster with them, but in Reich I trust.

Yeah the good new is we have a staff that might actually be capable of developing a project QB like AR.  AR getting drafted by our previous coach would be a disaster, but we our new crew it has some potential...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Stroud is the safest pick that could be anywhere from a Goff to a Burrow IMO.  If you are gambling on just potential like a Josh Allen pick you take AR.  I think Stroud should be priority one and if we can't trade up to acquire him without giving up too much AR at 9 should be the backup plan.  Getting a big TE in the 2nd and/or FA to help either of them develop should be a high priority as well.

I don't think most here have the stomach for what it will cost to get Stroud.  The chart hasn't been very accurate of late and most people that suggest what they are comfortable with giving up......aren't even hitting the numbers on the chart.  And the league has been above that of late. 

But I don't care.  Worst case scenario if we swing and miss.....we will be about what we have been of late regardless.  You can swing big and miss and still be what the Panthers have been the last half decade. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, OceanPanther said:

This isn't directed at you CRA personally, but when fans say move up to get Stroud..  no one knows what you ( THE PANTHERS )  would have to give up to do this.

A first and 2 seconds. ?  2 first and 2 seconds ?  a  1st and 2 seconds and  3rd  ???  

So how can anyone say  " move up to get Stroud "  ??

I think he's got a good chance of making it to be a franchise QB..  but he's not  a Cam, Andrew Luck, Payton Manning, etc ..   So giving up draft picks for a maybe ..  I'm not for it.   Not when a Richardson, Hooker, or Levis  might be just as good with a chance to learn  for a year or more .

as I said in my most recent post.  I am fully aware the majority of the board probably doesn't have the stomach for what it will cost to get Stroud.  

and based on recent trades at the top of the draft?  The cost likely is more than the numbers you are suggesting.  But fug it.  That's where I am at.  Worst case scenario we are no worse than we have been in terms of fielding a competitive team.  

Manning, Luck and Trevor.  That's it.  Those IMO are the only 3 QBs I can name in the last couple decades that you could sleep well at night making a BIG move for.  Just thought their floors were so high you couldn't fug up that badly.  Everyone else I would have felt uneasy about.   

• Pie 1

Just now, CPcavedweller said:

No. What are you going to have to pay him in a year? Maybe trade down, get more picks, then give them your traded down pick. But for 9, the value isn't there for a 3rd year QB.

But the value is there to draft a QB in that spot who has never looked consistently good in college instead. That makes Huddle sense. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don't think most here have the stomach for what it will cost to get Stroud.  The chart hasn't been very accurate of late and most people that suggest what they are comfortable with giving up......aren't even hitting the numbers on the chart.  And the league has been above that of late. 

But I don't care.  Worst case scenario if we swing and miss.....we will be about what we have been of late regardless.  You can swing big and miss and still be what the Panthers have been the last half decade. 

I think the safest approach is to wait and see.  If it's Levis and Young going 1 and 2 then we can look at trading up to 3 with AZ which should be less of a haul and so on depending if Stroud drops.  For example say we won't give up more than next year's first plus our 9 and maybe some mids to move up for him.  

• Beer 1

I think the chance are greater that the Bears trade the #1 with somebody that wants to draft a QB than the Bears trade Fields and draft Young or Stroud.

The Bears' offensive cupboard is bare.  Fields is not the problem.  Trading him and drafting somebody new to reset the clock does nothing to address the root of the problem.  Their next pick is not until #56.

But, we are talking about the Bears here, and they have not exactly been a farm for QBs or brilliant team building.

• Pie 1

I also have said before, I am curious to see how the NFL machine chews up these guys in the draft process.   This time in the Fields draft he was still the 1b with Trevor.  Then you saw Lance and Wilson climb up and Field fall off a cliff.  

I suspect there will be changes in how Stroud or Young are perceived from now until draft time.   And whatever they say about Stroud, I think he is the best QB in the draft. 

I definitely wouldn't trade for the spot today. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think the safest approach is to wait and see.  If it's Levis and Young going 1 and 2 then we can look at trading up to 3 with AZ which should be less of a haul and so on depending if Stroud drops.  For example say we won't give up more than next year's first plus our 9 and maybe some mids to move up for him.  

To move up you first have to have a trade partner.  What do you do if you cannot get someone to trade with you? You cannot go into the draft counting on trading up. I certainly hope they have a better plan than "we are trading up". There better be a plan B and C in place before the drfat starts. I'm telling you this trade up idea is a pipedream. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

To move up you first have to have a trade partner.  What do you do if you cannot get someone to trade with you? You cannot go into the draft counting on trading up. I certainly hope they have a better plan than "we are trading up". There better be a plan B and C in place before the drfat starts. I'm telling you this trade up idea is a pipedream. 

I mean, Bears have indicated their pick is for sale.  So there is a pick that can be had at the very top.  Would Carolina pay the price?  I doubt it. 

There also are about 5 teams ahead of us that need a future QB as well.  Bears would probably prefer to deal whoever is further down though.  Because the haul will be more insane.  And those teams ahead of us could drive up the price to make the Lance trade seem modest lol. 

Best case scenario, is Stroud and Young get hammered by the NFL machine like most Ohio State and Bama QBs have been. 

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Any time I hear the words "trade up', I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and a fear that the Panthers will give up  more than they receive, costing them in the long run.

• Pie 1