• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How will this coaching team effect free-agency?

rayzor

3 hours ago, ncfan said:

I mean

if we take on Carr, that’s going to take a bulk of your $$$

Not necessarily, the way I understand it, is the Raiders had an out for this year, so by releasing him, the contract is voided. According to ESPN, he’s free to sign a new contract with any team. Certainly he wouldn’t expect 40 million a year, because that damn sure ain’t happening.

These are grown ass men trying to earn a living. They are chasing the big bucks and not their friends/coaches. It helps to have a coach you like but at the end of the day they are going where they get paid. Is Tyreek Hill made he got traded to the Dolphins and lost out on a superbowl this year? I don't think so, he's already got a ring and he is one of the highest paid receivers. 

35 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

Not necessarily, the way I understand it, is the Raiders had an out for this year, so by releasing him, the contract is voided. According to ESPN, he’s free to sign a new contract with any team. Certainly he wouldn’t expect 40 million a year, because that damn sure ain’t happening.

He’s not going to get 40

but he sure ain’t coming for 10-15

He still technically is a only 32 and a 4x probowler.  He’s going to want At Least 30 per.

And we’ve already done all the cap games and have found about the max number we can get to is 40 under after cuts and restructures.  You want to spend 90% of it on this guy?

Edited by ncfan
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Literally heard josh Jacobs say he’s only interested in playing for teams with no state income tax. Not that he’s a FA target of Carolina but I doubt he’s the only player thinking this way. Pretty sure this is why the dolphins got fangio over Carolina 

16 hours ago, RJK said:

I think any team that has state income tax is at a disadvantage to lure top free agents. Carolina will likely have to overpay for any splash signings regardless of coaching staff 

No state income tax is overrated.  You think these states just said "Hey guys, don't worry we don't like getting your money"?  No, they get their pound of flesh in other ways.  Take for instance where I live in Texas.  No state income tax, however I pay 600 dollars a month in property taxes on my roughly $400,000 dollar home.  It all evens out. 

• Beer 2

40 minutes ago, ncfan said:

He’s not going to get 40

He still technically is a only 32 and a 4x probowler.  He’s going to want At Least 30 per.

And we’ve already done all the cap games and have found about the max number we can get to is 40 under after cuts and restructures.  You want to spend 90% of it on this guy?

They could give him a really big signing bonus and voidable years to make it a cap friendly deal.  These guys are wizards with the cap these days.

17 hours ago, RJK said:

I think any team that has state income tax is at a disadvantage to lure top free agents. Carolina will likely have to overpay for any splash signings regardless of coaching staff 

That's a myth. Players setup "residences" in tax friendly states all the time. The season is four months long (five months with playoffs). As long as they file a request with the Panthers to tax them based on their state of residence instead of where they work, it's not an issue.

https://optimataxrelief.com/live-work-pay-taxes/#:~:text=You must file a request,two state income tax returns.

43 minutes ago, ncfan said:

He’s not going to get 40

I never said I wanted him, just pointing out that his old contract is off the books. 

There’s currently 14 QB’s (including Wilson, Ryan, Wentz and Tannyhill) making 30 million plus, then that number decreases by half afterwards. So, 20 million a year isn’t out of the question.

22 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

I never said I wanted him, just pointing out that his old contract is off the books. 

There’s currently 14 QB’s (including Wilson, Ryan, Wentz and Tannyhill) making 30 million plus, then that number decreases by half afterwards. So, 20 million a year isn’t out of the question.

1 hour ago, RJK said:

Literally heard josh Jacobs say he’s only interested in playing for teams with no state income tax. Not that he’s a FA target of Carolina but I doubt he’s the only player thinking this way. Pretty sure this is why the dolphins got fangio over Carolina 

You are assuming this matters to the bulk of people. If that were the case, the population of each state would be dramatically different.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

You are assuming this matters to the bulk of people. If that were the case, the population of each state would be dramatically different.

If I could move I would move to a state that doesn't have income taxes. Yes, they make it up in other ways, but depending on your income level it does matter.  For poor folks like me it's debatable whether it will make a difference but its worth looking into if you are considering retirement, like me.