• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers met with Hooker per report

raleigh-panther

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

and higher than Josh Allen's were in college?  So what exactly does that mean??  Is he a stronger Josh Allen because of your random metric you are using?  Seems pretty flawed....

You are the one that quoted a random metric to start this debate off.  You decided to only use a small portion of Bridgewater's college statistics to make him seem slow, unathletic, and unable to scramble.  His yards came after major knee reconstruction too.

When the reality is Hooker and Bridgewater both have mild scrambling ability, are known for accuracy, and are both injury prone.  Hooker should be happy if he winds up with the same career as Teddy toilet water.

Edited by TheMaulClaw

6 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

You are the one that quoted a random metric to start this debate off.  You decided to only use a small portion of Bridgewater's college statistics to make him seem slow, unathletic, and unable to scramble.  His yards came after major knee reconstruction too.

When the reality is Hooker and Bridgewater both have mild scrambling ability, are known for accuracy, and are both injury prone.  Hooker should be happy if he winds up with the same career as Teddy toilet water.

A QB with over 2000 rushing yards and 25 rushing TDs in college isn't what I would consider "mild scrambling."  Teddy had like 1/10th of that against lesser defenses and you want to sit here and act like they are similar in that sense?  Sometimes its ok to just say "yeah it was a bad comparison." I like in Knoxville and watched most UT games.  They drew up QB runs, mixed in some RPOs, and if Hooker had space he was going to take it.  Again I'm not that high on him as a NFL prospect, but he definitely in a different level athletically than Teddy was in college.

• Beer 1

People, the "plan" is not to do one thing--it is to examine your options.  If you are closing your mind to a possibility while criticizing others for not sharing you're elite football acumen, then you are kinda coming off like a spoiled child.  Just say you don't know and your skeptical--that is fine--but to act like people who think Hooker is a sure-fire bust and anyone who thinks differently is an idiot--I am not sure the effect you were hoping for is working to your advantage.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

A QB with over 2000 rushing yards and 25 rushing TDs in college isn't what I would consider "mild scrambling."  Teddy had like 1/10th of that against lesser defenses and you want to sit here and act like they are similar in that sense?  Sometimes its ok to just say "yeah it was a bad comparison." I like in Knoxville and watched most UT games.  They drew up QB runs, mixed in some RPOs, and if Hooker had space he was going to take it.  Again I'm not that high on him as a NFL prospect, but he definitely in a different level athletically than Teddy was in college.

It's debatable.  Hooker is an okay scrambler.  But the comparison remains valid.  Hooker isn't significantly more athletic then Bridgewater.  I'm not sure he bounces back completely after that ACL tear either.

Both of them are similar in the pocket. I'd rather have Hookers backup at UT honestly.

Bridgewater didn't scramble at all in the two years following his knee rebuild.  The years after that when he was the starter both here and Miami his ypc were on par with Hookers and that's in the NFL. That's all I'm saying. It's a legit comparison. Hooker is a backup at best.

1 hour ago, TheMaulClaw said:

It's debatable.  Hooker is an okay scrambler.  But the comparison remains valid.  Hooker isn't significantly more athletic then Bridgewater.  I'm not sure he bounces back completely after that ACL tear either.

Both of them are similar in the pocket. I'd rather have Hookers backup at UT honestly.

Bridgewater didn't scramble at all in the two years following his knee rebuild.  The years after that when he was the starter both here and Miami his ypc were on par with Hookers and that's in the NFL. That's all I'm saying. It's a legit comparison. Hooker is a backup at best.

Hooker’s backup? Joe Milton? He has a cannon and is huge, but damn he overthrew a lot of passes in his limited playing time. If he can work on his accuracy he might be NFL material.

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Hooker’s backup? Joe Milton? He has a cannon and is huge, but damn he overthrew a lot of passes in his limited playing time. If he can work on his accuracy he might be NFL material.

Yeah that's why I said it.  He's a prospect that intrigues way more then Hooker.

I'm a Gamecocks fan dude, I keep up with every team in the SEC.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 1

On 2/21/2023 at 2:08 PM, TheCasillas said:

They were in night and day different systems with completely opposite side of the spectrum talent. Levis was dealt a short hand last year and played through 3 different injuries simutlaneously. 

The stats dont tell the story. Can't get wrapped up in that without understanding the systems and situations.

Doesn't matter... Levis is the suck

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Yeah that's why I said it.  He's a prospect that intrigues way more then Hooker.

I'm a Gamecocks fan dude, I keep up with every team in the SEC.

My dad was a gamecocks fan. He was from Camden, SC. I always find myself low key pulling for them except when they play Auburn.

Edited by ForJimmy
  • Pie 1

He has the most interesting pre-draft to me.

The reason I say predraft is because let's say the Saints miss out on Carr, miss out on Rodgers, Miss out on Lamar. Then I can see where people start slotting him at 29 sooner rather than later. Or say the Giants only tag DJ, no long term deal, you can see that being 25. You could then make a case for 23 to Minn, or 19 to TB, 16 to Washington. You can see where I'm going with this.

This is all hypothetical, but I can see him having a Ponder-esqe rise if he kills it pre-draft. Dude's tape shows the ability to make any throw and he has the ability to thrive in chaos. Age doesn't matter if dude can ball at the most important position. Don't get me wrong, he infuraties me how often he'll break a pocket because he doesn't trust a window schemed open is right, but honest I think he's more polished as a passer than Fields coming out, and I think he's miles better as a passer than Richardson or McKee. 

He's what people thought Corral was last year pre-draft, imo. Age is the only thing holding him back and I really don't think that'll matter with the hyperfocus on rookie contracts, he'll be 29 when it's time to consider his 5th year option. 

E: I also want to add, I'd hate the pick at 9, but this draft is weird and I've seen weirder poo. I'd think even if best case pre-draft happens for Hooker, we could trade just out of the top 10 and get some value before reaching. But I do see a way where he doesn't make it out the first, I really don't know if there's 25-30 players better than Hooker this draft.

Edited by Rags
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1