• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Todd McShay seems to really like Anthony Richardson

Dorian Gray

51 minutes ago, Shocker said:

AR is some weird Huddle Cam crush thing

Make a thread about any of the top QBs and you will see similar posts. The Huddle just wants a young talented QB. It’s mostly people not wanting him mentioning Cam. I think Stroud seems to be a Huddle favorite, AR might be the best available at 9.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Kentucky Panther said:

I have never seen a group of people drool over someone who barely completes half their passes. It’s literally all because we had Cam and they think AR can be the next Cam. In reality, he’s not even close to being as polished as Cam was coming out of school. 

People aren’t thinking Cam they are thinking Josh Allen who, like Richardson, had accuracy issues. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

58 minutes ago, Monty83 said:

…I would want the highly accurate QB who can step right in an excel in his 5-yr rookie window…

…the guy who is more prepared to step in immediately and produce.

I think everyone wants that but which qb in this draft is that? And if anyone truly fits that bill I predict they are long gone before the 9th pick.

2 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Based on whats succeeded in the NFL recently, him or Levis going one wouldn't shock me in the slightest. I'm pretty pumped for the QB portion of the combine next week.

On the topic of pro comparisons, I've kinda started to feel like this too...

It gets worse when it's clouded by lostalgia, i.e. people constantly looking for "the next Cam".

That's why I say stop looking for the next this guy, the next that guy or the next whoever and just evaluate the players for who they are.

It's about skills, traits and characteristics, not who they wistfully (or wishfully) remind you of.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

On the topic of pro comparisons, I've kinda started to feel like this too...

It gets worse when it's clouded by lostalgia, i.e. people constantly looking for "the next Cam".

That's why I say stop looking for the next this guy, the next that guy or the next whoever and just evaluate the players for who they are.

It's about skills, traits and characteristics, not who they wistfully (or wishfully) remind you of.

People always want to replicate what is successful in the NFL.  I've seen scouts compare his TRAITS to a Josh Allen, Cam Newton, Jalen Hurts to see how he can be used successfully in the NFL based on his strengths as a prospect.  Does that mean they think he will be the next whomever?  I don't think so.  It's more of how they can use that player what what system might work best for him.  For example a Mac Jones should be used more like Kirk Cousins and Fields more like Jalen Hurts.  Smart HCs can get a player and design a system to play to their strengths.  I don't think anyone is expecting AR to become the next Cam Newton, but are thinking he can be used in a similar manner.  Think RPOs, an extra runner in goal line or short yard package.  Drawing up deep routes to keep the defense honest with his arm strength etc...  I never read too much into the exact player comparisons.  

Just now, ForJimmy said:

People always want to replicate what is successful in the NFL.  I've seen scouts compare his TRAITS to a Josh Allen, Cam Newton, Jalen Hurts to see how he can be used successfully in the NFL based on his strengths as a prospect.  Does that mean they think he will be the next whomever?  I don't think so.  It's more of how they can use that player what what system might work best for him.  For example a Mac Jones should be used more like Kirk Cousins and Fields more like Jalen Hurts.  Smart HCs can get a player and design a system to play to their strengths.  I don't think anyone is expecting AR to become the next Cam Newton, but are thinking he can be used in a similar manner.  Think RPOs, an extra runner in goal line or short yard package.  Drawing up deep routes to keep the defense honest with his arm strength etc...  I never read too much into the exact player comparisons.  

When I say quit looking for "the next" I'm talking more about us than scouts because when it's done here it's more sentimental than analytical.

That said, I think Honest NFL is right. It's gotten kind of lazy.

21 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd love a Minshew type vet bridge and Richardson at #9 if he interviews well.

I've been super intrigued by Richardson for awhile now. Ever since I watched a few UF games and saw a much better QB than I expected and balls bouncing off receivers' hands. The stats lie if you watch the games.

Agree and he got better 

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah and its hard when there is such small subset of players you can compare Richardson to. Its basically all Unicorns and thats because he is a Unicorn himself, that doesnt mean he's remotely a sure thing but its easy to see where the Comp comes from. Honestly Bryce Young comps work the other way because his size is such an outlier people struggle finding comps that actually work well.

• Pie 1