• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I might be reading too much into this but...

methodtoll

To me a 'point guard' QB is effective in seeing the entire field and anticipating passing lanes while delivering crisp/precise passes.  No different that a real point guard, just the playing scale is much more reduced in basketball. 

What I get out of that is Richardson is NOT that guy, neither is Levis for that matter.  Keeping with the basketball theme, a Richardson-type PG may cross people up and wow with ball handling skills, while being able to drain the periodic deep 3-pointer.  His assists, however,  are very subpar compared to his cohorts.

Just now, rayzor said:

Point guard is the guy who runs the show and makes poo happen. He'll manage it create opportunities for others, carry our the game plan, or improvise and take matters into his own hands and make something happen. 

I think that's Young, Stroud, and AR. 

Gotcha, but why would it not be Levis? 🤔

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gotcha, but why would it not be Levis? 🤔

I guess it could be, but I think things are more likely to go wrong when he takes matters into his hands. I see him kind of like Darnold. You'll see glimpses and he's capable, but he'll always be limited in what he's actually be able to do.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I guess it could be, but I think things are more likely to go wrong when he takes matters into his hands. I see him kind of like Darnold. You'll see glimpses and he's capable, but he'll always be limited in what he's actually be able to do.

I'm paying more attention to Levis because of Thomas Brown and his connection to Liam Coen.

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Point guard is the guy who runs the show and makes poo happen. He'll manage it create opportunities for others, carry our the game plan, or improvise and take matters into his own hands and make something happen. 

I think that's Young, Stroud, and AR. 

Young and Stroud, agreed, but not on AR.  Dude passed for more than 250 yards exactly 3 times in his career and a 54% career completion rate.  He has two marquee games to his resume.   AR has exactly ONE game with greater than 61% completion rate when attempting more than 10 passes.  Yes, he has several games where 10 or less passes were attempted which actually artificially inflates his already questionable 54% rate.

Example: 1 of 1 for 100%

Edited by 45catfan

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It basically just means we'd prefer a QB who isn't just a facilitator but a guy who can make things happen on his own if necessary. We had a guy like that once. It feels like such a long, long time ago now.

I’d be thrilled if there was a college QB in this draft that is the equivalent of John Stockton, the ‘Silent Assassin.’  Bryce Young may be it.

Edited by bythenbrs

I don’t think much can be made from these pressers regarding personnel. It’s all vague. 

Everyone wants a QB who facilitates to the playmakers but can make the play himself when he needs to. A QB who can stand strong in the pocket but can make plays with his feet. A strong arm with accuracy who can rifle it but knows when to throw with touch. 

Every QB is a “point guard”. But some QB’s are more Chris Paul and some are more Ja Morant. 

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

We need Fran Tarkenton. Someone go back to 1973 and grab the guy.

So, you want a mobile QB who came out of Georgie, played for the SEC, won a national championship in college, was drafted by an NFC team, was given up on by the team that drafted him due to injury problems in his late 20s, frustrates his offensive coaches with his risk taking/decision making, is unorthodox in his play style/throwing style, has been good enough to be considered for MVP, went on to play for another NFL team that also gave up on him, has been a Pro Bowl QB, and was offensive RoY. You want this QB to come back to his first NFL team in his early 30s to play another 6 to 7 years while leading the Panthers to 4 SBs in his mid to late 30s?

I believe there is an available QB that fits the Fran Tarkenton model. I just think there are more fans that want to draft one of the top two first round QBs like Jerry Tagge and John Reaves instead of bringing back a QB in their 30s with experience who had injury problems.

Edited by CPantherKing
  • Beer 2