• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bears have been approached by multiple teams for #1 Pick and are leaning towards trading the pick away per Adam Schefter

Varking

Just now, mav1234 said:

Which of the top QBs reminds you of Leaf and why?

If we had ended up with a top 3 pick and moving to #1 wasnt going to  cost us significantly I wouldnt have made the comment.

But if we have to give up 3 1s to get that first choice then they all do.  They are all just as capable of turning into a Leaf, Marinovich, or Russel. 

Im a long way from the smartest football guy around here but the idea of trading years worth of firsts seems wrong-headed when it doesnt come with a guarantee.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 3

52 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Been saying it forever.

If we want our QB we have to trade picks. Sitting on picks just because doesn't improve this team. You go nowhere without a QB. 

Our qb isnt in the top 4 of this draft. You go nowhere with a bad/mediocre qb also and you lose picks to get that bad qb.The math says no.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

If we had ended up with a top 3 pick and moving to #1 wasnt going to  cost us significantly I wouldnt have made the comment.

But if we have to give up 3 1s to get that first choice then they all do.  They are all just as capable of turning into a Leaf, Marinovich, or Russel. 

Im a long way from the smartest football guy around here but the idea of trading years worth of firsts seems wrong-headed when it doesnt come with a guarantee.

You are light years ahead of most on this board regarding this subject.

• Pie 2

41 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

If we don’t get a QB then this rockstar coaching staff is not being utilized to its full potential. We have the guys in place to develop a franchise QB right now. If we wanted to lower the cost of drafting our QB, the time to do it was during last season. Trading Burns could have given us extra ammo. Going 5-3 to end the season did us no favors.

• Pie 3

30 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

Certainly it's a big risk to move to #1.  We can state risk without making such a specific player comparison.  Leaf had character flaws, and didn't go #1.  So he's an odd comparison to make. 

I don't think there are many sure fire guys.... So I'm less concerned about that. I don't love the idea of giving up so many picks for any player, but I also think that without a great QB we are limited. So, my opinion is that if we're completely sold on a prospect, they're worth a couple extra firsts.  We brought this staff in to develop a QB. Time to do it.

4 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Certainly it's a big risk to move to #1.  We can state risk without making such a specific player comparison.  Leaf had character flaws, and didn't go #1.  So he's an odd comparison to make. 

I don't think there are many sure fire guys.... So I'm less concerned about that. I don't love the idea of giving up so many picks for any player, but I also think that without a great QB we are limited. So, my opinion is that if we're completely sold on a prospect, they're worth a couple extra firsts.  We brought this staff in to develop a QB. Time to do it.

Everybody has flaws. It's just can you work around the flaws or get rid of them with development. Some things like character issues i.e. Leaf and Manzel, you can't work around. Other issues like Allen and Mahomes, you can with the right coaching. I hope this coaching staff can look at these QBs and make those determinations. If they see a Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, LJ in this draft, then by all means, go get him. I trust that with this much experience in our FO and coaching staff, we can recognize them and determine if we can work around them. With Rhule I think it was all about getting "X" QB to become OOU and hype them up and that might have worked until gameday when poo hit the fan and the real QB emerged. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I don't care about future picks

Or salary cap room...or contract guarantees...or injury concerns...or the ability to build around them...or any other practical concern that the people who do this in the real world actually do have to care about.

yoda-fail.gif

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 3

55 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I don't care about future picks!

A franchise QB will last you 10+ years. Im tired of not having a QB while the other teams all have great young QB's with bright futures.

Time to kick the bridge vet QB way and go get our QB. 

Who is "our" QB ?