• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DARNOLD

CPcavedweller

On 3/3/2023 at 1:02 PM, glenwo2 said:

Here's my thought process on this whole situation (and that's IF Newton's usual speculation comes to fruition) :

If Sam Darnold is signed, that tells me they are looking to trade up for Bryce or CJ, have Sam show them the ropes for 5-6 games and put them in

If they Sign Derek Carr, AR-15 will be drafted and sit for 2 years because Carr won't be wanting to back up anyone.

The situations you described make very good logic and common sense.

• Beer 1

23 hours ago, Montsta said:

Well I certainly hope Frank Reich stays here a LOOOOOONNG time now, because we all know what happened after the Weimar Republic…

It can't be any worse here, right?!?!?

I envision that we actually got the 3rd Reich before the 2nd. Rhule obviously being the 3rd and Rivera being the 1st, with possibly the royalty period prior to the upheaval of pretty much all of Europe in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Rivera was a dude who meant well but just couldn't execute. Rhule acted as if he was god's gift to football (He who must not be named) and I'd like to thing of Reich as a stronger version of the leaders of the Weimar Republic; though their ultimate downfall was financial in nature. People will do ridiculous poo when they are scared and out of money. 

23 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

The situations you described make very good logic and common sense.

Except that Carr is signing with the Saints and Stroud will probably be number 1, or should be. It shouldn't even be close really. I really think Levis is going to end up being a Jake Locker type.

What really worries me is that this draft ends up being similar to 2011 where there was Cam Newton and a cliff. I think you take Darnold for cheap and draft Richardson. Darnold showed that he is a good teammate and can be a leader last season. If he wants to start again after 2023, you can let him go. If he's willing to accept a back-up spot, you bring him back.

Most quality teams have long-term back-up QB's who help the starter. Their purview is completely different. 

• Pie 3

they asked him to manage games last year, not win them. he rode the running game to those wins and wasn't asked to make a single difficult throw. what was his stat line in the last game? like 13 yards passing until the final drive? all they were trying to get out of Darnold was teaching him how to not lose games, not how to win them. he will not start again for us unless there are injuries. he'll probably have a long career as a backup because he's affable and gets along well with others in the QB room and outside it, but if you have to put him in games that mean anything you're going to have trouble. 

On 3/1/2023 at 10:21 AM, Wundrbread33 said:

Guess I was watching the games @Ricky Spanish was watching. 

Sam improved more in the realm of eliminating mistakes and knowing when the play was over and ending it on his terms. Much more throw aways, and using his legs to buy time while keeping his eyes downfield. 

His stats weren’t great, but he made me less nervous because the game seemed to have slowed down for him a bit. 

Also playing behind a better line helped. 

I think it’s pretty easy to poo on Sam, and you won’t get internet points for saying good things about him, but he did indeed improve, and I’m fine saying it. 

That isn’t the same as saying I want him as the opening day starter, and I think a lot of people make that kind of leap in discussions like this. 

There was a definite improvement in Sam’s performance. The New Orleans game was ugly, but we still won. He seemed to know when to throw the ball away instead of forcing the ball and getting a turnover. I would rather have him as a place holder for a young quarterback that anyone like Brissette. 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Stuart Smith said:

There was a definite improvement in Sam’s performance. The New Orleans game was ugly, but we still won. He seemed to know when to throw the ball away instead of forcing the ball and getting a turnover. I would rather have him as a place holder for a young quarterback that anyone like Brissette. 

I’m inclined to agree. He sucked against NO. I’m not sure if that is a morale problem or some kind of mental consistency. But overall he improved last year.

He was wheeling and dealing against the Bucs. He absolutely played well enough to win and his one pick was an underthrow that was technically the right read. He was one play away from having the best game a Panthers QB has had in a while. And I have historically hated Sam for a long time. But he does have the tools and foundations to be whatever he wants in the NFL. I don’t mind having him back so long as we have other options.

Edited by OneBadCat
  • Pie 3

I'd be good with anything that allows us to have 1st round picks in the future too. You have to still build the team, you need the picks.

So dead set against selling out for a kid that is not recognized as the second coming at QB. Which is apparently the goal of half the fans. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

But he does have the tools and foundations to be whatever he wants in the NFL.

So does Jameis. Doesn't mean we need to sign either. And Darnold has already told you guys the deal you don't listen. QB is just a job to him. He is not concerned about going to the hall of fame or being a Super Bowl winning quarterback. You can hype his physical tools all you want. Doesn't mean anything if he doesn’t want to be great.

3 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

I missed this. You have a source?

He openly admitted he did not bother to change anything about how he prepared when he was competing with Baker Mayfield in camp last year. After the team that drafted him moved on and he had a very putrid season in 2021. Does that sound like a QB who is destined for and wants greatness? He's a nice guy and a good teammate. Based on that I'd say it's a safe bet he's mostly content with just playing QB as long as the ride lasts and taking what he can get. You guys that want to stick up for him are cute but I just give you sideye because he's literally a lesser Jameis Winston.

I don’t see anybody claiming Darnold is “bound for greatness”. 

I am going to suggest that you are interpreting his comments beyond their context and using that in your sales pitch for your opinions.

So okay, fine. I see it that way. May not be correct, but the fact that Darnold or any athlete may have stuck to his same routine isn’t necessarily an accurate barometer of his competitiveness inside the lines. 

And again, so we do not leave this buried, I have not seen anyone suggest he is bound for greatness. Laughing as I consider that you are claiming that. It is a humorous thought. Show me who said that and I will mock them lol. 

Edited by stratocatter