• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I have a feeling...

Proudiddy

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I think we only trade up pre draft if we are getting the #1 pick.

If we get to the draft without trading to #1, then expect a trade to happen for either picks 3 or 5.

If we end up signing Carr, scenario 1 doesn't happen. Scenario 2 might happen, and the 3rd scenario is we stay put at 9. 

This is what I'm getting from these interviews.  

8 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'm starting to think that they might both be possibilities just based on how serious this team is about fixing the offense, especially QB. 

They have overloaded on staff, i think, and they might take the same mindset with QB.

I would say at this point and from what we've seen, be ready for some extreme work be done to get QB right not just for the immediate but the long haul.

One thing that also sticks in my mind is something that Fitt said about being a top 10 pick...i think they are acting like they won't be in this position again, so they want to get everything they can out of it. the era of losing is over. If they can get the short term and long term answers to QB addressed in one offseason, i expect they will.

i feel like they are going to attack this long term problem from a couple different angles with the hope of doing what they've done with staff building, bring in a wealth of experience and knowledge to team up with someone who is young, but has a bright future ahead of them.

This, and just the general excitement I'm feeling with this revamped staff and FO, is exactly what this thread was borne from.  In particular, what led me to make it was that exact statement you're referring to that Fitt made about if we trade up, we'll do so knowing that we won't be picking that high again.  That was probably the biggest takeaway statement I heard all day yesterday...  and iirc, he kind of tailed off after that and said something like, "it would be like pick 22," or something like that.  

Another big takeaway I got from yesterday's media appearances was Fitt again describing what Sulaiman does.  And I can't remember if that was yesterday, but he or Reich also recently made allusions to Sulaiman being able to "make it happen."  That reminded me of how all those years during the Payton/Brees era in NO how the entire board would counter every big move they made with, "well, they can't so it forever.  They're just kicking the can down the road and eventually it's gonna bite them in the ass."  Problem is, during their tenure, that time never came.  The chickens never came home to roost, and they were always able to pull of moves and signings that we just didn't think was possible.  I think Sulaiman is in that same mold as Loomis with his cap expertise.  We are now that team that can kick the can and never have it catch up or hinder us from the big moves.  

I think those two things stood out to me most from yesterday, and it really leads me to believe Carr and one of the top rookie QBs together on this roster is a very real possibility.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I think we only trade up pre draft if we are getting the #1 pick.

If we get to the draft without trading to #1, then expect a trade to happen for either picks 3 or 5.

If we end up signing Carr, scenario 1 doesn't happen. Scenario 2 might happen, and the 3rd scenario is we stay put at 9. 

i think this is a fair assessment. 

scenario 1) trade up for the #1

scenario 2) pick up Carr and trade up to 3 or 5 for QB

scenario 3) pick up Carr stay at 9 and either draft the best QB available at 9 or BPA (if one of Young/Stroud/AR/Levis isn't available) and then QB (Hooker or Duggan) in later round.

16 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Most since 1950!

image.thumb.png.ca50ebcf3b2cebadfb5744ae67f22109.png

To some on here, wins/losses are entirely on the QB. It’s always their fault if the team loses. It’s always their doing if the team wins.

…except for Sam going 4-2 in his starts last season…that doesn’t count. 

15 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

This, and just the general excitement I'm feeling with this revamped staff and FO, is exactly what this thread was borne from.  In particular, what led me to make it was that exact statement you're referring to that Fitt made about if we trade up, we'll do so knowing that we won't be picking that high again.  That was probably the biggest takeaway statement I heard all day yesterday...  and iirc, he kind of tailed off after that and said something like, "it would be like pick 22," or something like that.  

Another big takeaway I got from yesterday's media appearances was Fitt again describing what Sulaiman does.  And I can't remember if that was yesterday, but he or Reich also recently made allusions to Sulaiman being able to "make it happen."  That reminded me of how all those years during the Payton/Brees era in NO how the entire board would counter every big move they made with, "well, they can't so it forever.  They're just kicking the can down the road and eventually it's gonna bite them in the ass."  Problem is, during their tenure, that time never came.  The chickens never came home to roost, and they were always able to pull of moves and signings that we just didn't think was possible.  I think Sulaiman is in that same mold as Loomis with his cap expertise.  We are now that team that can kick the can and never have it catch up or hinder us from the big moves.  

I think those two things stood out to me most from yesterday, and it really leads me to believe Carr and one of the top rookie QBs together on this roster is a very real possibility.

What cap expertise? Being over the cap with a team that has won 17 games in 3 years. And 32M dead cap already for this year. The Saints chickens are bbq-ing right now. And will continue to for many years. All for not even a SB appearance. Now they can’t even get rid of players they want to. And can’t keep the ones they want to. It doesn’t take “expertise” to just leverage every dollar available with no thought of future implications. At least the Saints did it with winning teams and a HOF QB during a SB window. The Panthers do it to win a 6th game if things go well. 

• Beer 1

If the plan is Carr and rookie QB we are in trouble.

Carr needs weapons!

This man had the best WR and a top 5 TE in Las Vegas and they still wasn't that great on offense. Could you imagine Carr with DJ as his only weapon?

I will say it again if we sign Carr use those first 2 picks in the draft on a WR and TE.

19 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

To some on here, wins/losses are entirely on the QB. It’s always their fault if the team loses. It’s always their doing if the team wins.

…except for Sam going 4-2 in his starts last season…that doesn’t count. 

one thing that always gets me is looking at games as a face off between two QBs. it's never that. it's QB vs. a defense. that's it. 

QBs can't win games if their defense can't stop the other team from scoring. you've got to make sure you have 2 things... 1) a QB that can generate a lot of scores and 2) a defense that can keep the other QB from scoring more than what your QB can generate. 

the more your QB is capable of scoring, the better off you are. the more your defense is able to shut down the other QB, the better off you are. if you have both of these, you're going to win a championship.

• Beer 2

33 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Well, I will first say that while I’d rather us find the right rookie. That said, if we sign Carr then I’d rather not spend a 1st or 2nd on a QB. If we sign Carr, we made a multi-year commitment so try and make the team around him as good as possible not the QB bench.

He had a great running game and Adams. I wonder if Renfroe and Waller being hurt for most of the season. They went from 1700-1800 combined yards in 2019-2021 to 700 combined yards. Outside of check downs to Jacobs, forcing the ball to Adams was he main option and probably led to the drop in completion % and rise in interception %. That doesn’t bode that well with our lack of weapons outside DJ, hence the call for a TE and WR early.

I dont like these rookies but it is sensible to do one way or the other but not both scenarios at same time. I think the issues with Carr were with his Coach and chemistry. That could be my bias though because I do not like McDaniels at all.

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

If the plan is Carr and rookie QB we are in trouble.

Carr needs weapons!

This man had the best WR and a top 5 TE in Las Vegas and they still wasn't that great on offense. Could you imagine Carr with DJ as his only weapon?

I will say it again if we sign Carr use those first 2 picks in the draft on a WR and TE.

Or O-line,LB,WR, and then TE...this draft is deep at TE through the 4th rd .Less so at WR. 

WE could also pick up a qb in later rds...A continuation combo of Tank Dell and Clayton Tune 

sounds interesting to me. Get Skoronski at 9 and LB in 2nd.FA would change this but if we get carr how much could we spend on fa after that?

20 minutes ago, frankw said:

There it is!

Didn't we do this "blame everyone else" spiel with Darnold and Mayfield too?

GIF by Groundhog Day

The Raiders defense being historically the worst ever, isn’t an endorsement of Carr.

It means the Raiders suck and should be laughed at.