• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much is too much to trade?

ncfan

There is no price too high in terms of first round picks. You can trade three, and I’d do that in a heartbeat. The only way draft picks could start getting too expensive is if it were something crazy like three firsts, three seconds, three thirds.  Three firsts and a second and maybe a third is what I’m comfortable with spending to go get Stroud. 

You start adding proven players that’s another story, you can absolutely gut your team if you’re stupid about it. But I don’t see that happening. Maybe a scenario where it’s a 1st, a 2nd and Burns, which I’d be ok with. 

• Poo 1

3 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

The scrutiny is puzzling to me.

Point 1- Around "average when put on a radar gun" See below:

Point 2: Seems like a dick: The first thing he does is compliment the players that came out for the workout, thanks them and talks about how he hopes good things for them. Then he talks about how great Sam Burrow is and what he wants to work on to improve.

https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyFootball/videos/will-levis-nfl-combine-workout-interview/926408235016210/

Meanwhile, AR (Who I really like) comes out and says he has a better arm than when Cam Newton came out.....

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

I should have been clear--they showed 2 other QBs (3 total) getting gunned at the combine--one was 61, another 60, and Levis was at 59. 

Secondly, please don't try to apply your standards for evaluating character and acceptable behavior to others.  It is an arrogant and self-centered habit.  I would not expect someone who can't reflect on his own behavior as one who is qualified to objectively assess others.  I simply shared the vibe I got---and it was stated accordingly--Of course he was playing for the cameras--I go by the way others near him react to him--that is a tell--sometimes what is not said is more important that what is said.  It is called, "reading the room," and sometimes you are right, and others you are wrong.  If you got a different vibe, good for you.

Edited by MHS831
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

There is no price too high in terms of first round picks. You can trade three, and I’d do that in a heartbeat. The only way draft picks could start getting too expensive is if it were something crazy like three firsts, three seconds, three thirds.  Three firsts and a second and maybe a third is what I’m comfortable with spending to go get Stroud. 

You start adding proven players that’s another story, you can absolutely gut your team if you’re stupid about it. But I don’t see that happening. Maybe a scenario where it’s a 1st, a 2nd and Burns, which I’d be ok with. 

Why do you think Stroud is a generational QB?

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I go by the way others near him react to him--that is a tell--sometimes what is not said is more important that what is said.  It is called, "reading the room," and sometimes you are right, and others you are wrong.  If you got a different vibe, good for you.

what was his tell that would characterize him as a "dick" from your perspective? Maybe this is a healthier approach to understanding your statemetns rather than providing instances of which he is not.

Edited by TheCasillas

3 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

That doesn't take into account the possibility of a bidding war for the #3 spot. 

The points are a useful tool. Having said that if you see something you want bad enough you find a way to get it. Kinda like that 1967 Chevelle Super Sport 396 I want. 

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

what was his tell that would characterize him as a "dick" from your perspective? Maybe this is a healthier approach to understanding your statemetns rather than providing instances of which he is not.

I told you it was a vibe--I also said I could be wrong--he seemed disingenuous to me.  Do not need your confirmation.  Move on.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I told you it was a vibe--I also said I could be wrong--he seemed disingenuous to me.  Do not need your confirmation.  Move on.

The confirmation wasnt for you, it was for me - You stated he was a dick from your observations and I was looking for examples. Since it was a vibe, then there is nothing we can take away from this. Indeed, let's move on. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

The confirmation wasnt for you, it was for me - You stated he was a dick from your observations and I was looking for examples. Since it was a vibe, then there is nothing we can take away from this. Indeed, let's move on. 

No worries. 

Anything is too much to trade for these QBs. Using a 1st round pick on them is too much.

No clear cut QB that will make a difference in the NFL playoffs. AR-15 makes poor decisions in game situations. Levis fails to move the ball or make good throws without a vertical field with his lack of vision - hail marry run and gun QB. Stroud is really good as a game manager (NFL Level), but he is not clutch and will lead a lot of FG drives in the NFL; offensive weakness is redzone under pressure. Young is a good distributor of the ball and is among the smartest and quickest of the bunch, but he breaks down under pressure and throws the ball up away from defenders while missing defenders in position for a TO who are hidden due to his height.

Stroud and Young are the better of the two. Young will not consistently win against NFL defenses and will be a high turnover weakness for a team when the game is on the line and he needs to make a play with his arm. Stroud will be good for FG drives, but will struggle to succeed in the redzone at the NFL level.

This is the 1999 QB draft all over again without a Donovan McNabb.

You have an extremely athletic QB with poor decision making skills in game with Richardson (Smith replaced by Jon Kitna), a smaller point guard type QB with quick releases and wild plays with desperation heaves when it breaks down in Bryce Young (McNown replace by Jim Miller), an excellent college game manager who struggles in clutch situations near the redzone in CJ Stroud (Couch replaced by Jeff Garcia), and a big armed QB with a lack of field visions and a knack for turnovers while holding the ball too long in Will Levis (Culpepper replaced by Brad Johnson).

These 1st rounders replaced by a 6th round QB, and 3 QBs who were not taken in the first 7 rounds of the draft. UDFAs turned out to be more accomplished than these 1st round QBs. Expecting disappointing QB performances from Stroud, Young, Levis, and Richardson. 1st round QBs replaced with UDFAs being more effective NFL QBs all over again.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Anything is too much to trade for these QBs. Using a 1st round pick on them is too much.

No clear cut QB that will make a difference in the NFL playoffs. AR-15 makes poor decisions in game situations. Levis fails to move the ball or make good throws without a vertical field with his lack of vision - hail marry run and gun QB. Stroud is really good as a game manager (NFL Level), but he is not clutch and will lead a lot of FG drives in the NFL; offensive weakness is redzone under pressure. Young is a good distributor of the ball and is among the smartest and quickest of the bunch, but he breaks down under pressure and throws the ball up away from defenders while missing defenders in position for a TO who are hidden due to his height.

Stroud and Young are the better of the two. Young will not consistently win against NFL defenses and will be a high turnover weakness for a team when the game is on the line and he needs to make a play with his arm. Stroud will be good for FG drives, but will struggle to succeed in the redzone at the NFL level.

This is the 1999 QB draft all over again without a Donovan McNabb.

You have an extremely athletic QB with poor decision making skills in game with Richardson (Smith replaced by Jon Kitna), a smaller point guard type QB with quick releases and wild plays with desperation heaves when it breaks down in Bryce Young (McNown replace by Jim Miller), an excellent college game manager who struggles in clutch situations near the redzone in CJ Stroud (Couch replaced by Jeff Garcia), and a big armed QB with a lack of field visions and a knack for turnovers while holding the ball too long in Will Levis (Culpepper replaced by Brad Johnson).

These 1st rounders replaced by a 6th round QB, and 3 QBs who were not taken in the first 7 rounds of the draft. UDFAs turned out to be more accomplished than these 1st round QBs. Expecting disappointing QB performances from Stroud, Young, Levis, and Richardson. 1st round QBs replaced with UDFAs being more effective NFL QBs all over again.

I agree there is no aqueel glass in this draft

• Beer 1
  • Flames 3

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Why do you think Stroud is a generational QB?

Because as I’ve said since before the end of the college season, he is the most accurate, smooth, natural passer I’ve just about ever seen in college. The talent he shows on the field is independent of the team around him.  I can’t remember anyone in college throwing with better placement and touch and anticipation than him in a long time and I’ve been watching football since before the Panthers existed.  His biggest shortcoming is that he’s not a scrambler….ok don’t care. He can maneuver the pocket plenty well and throw better than anyone in the draft. He is legit. The only thing that could hold him back, in my opinion, is injury or bad attitude. We can’t predict either of those things, so from what I can see he’s the most sure thing possible. 

• Pie 1