• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2023 Draft general

Verge

On 3/6/2023 at 7:02 PM, Martin said:

I agree. As a contrast, in the video of Levis, it looked like he was trying his best to not trash him. But him and Norris couldn’t hold back a couple of times.

Good lord. Im leaning more towards not wanting anything to do with Levis.

• Flames 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:13 AM, ncfan said:

The Eagles won a Super Bowl a few years after trading for Wentz

The Rams made it as far as we did with Cam in 2015 after trading for Goff.  Then eventually used the guy they traded those picks for.  Used him in a package to get Stafford and Won a superbowl

and your needs already listing “a replacement for Moton down the road”. Is beyond laughable.  Considering we don’t even have a franchise QB.  This proves we have fans comfortable of staying in the hampster wheel of “mid”

we’ve spent 4 years building the roster.  And locking down core pieces like Moton.

Next year it’ll be.  We don’t need a QB, need to start thinking about a replacement for DJ

then Brown in 25

Burns in 26

Ickem in 27

just running in place in that wheel.

yes we need a TE.  Yes we need a LB

good thing you can get those in mid rounds.  You aren’t getting a franchise top 8 QB in todays NFL in the mid rounds.

Thinking about a replacement for Moton is far from laughable. He is only one of 5 players in the last 4 years in the NFL who has played every down. Sooner or later he will probably end that streak. The OP is correct in assessing where we Need to build. Investing in the quarterback whoever it might be would be foolish without having offensive line depth to protect the quarterback. 

1 hour ago, Stuart Smith said:

Thinking about a replacement for Moton is far from laughable. He is only one of 5 players in the last 4 years in the NFL who has played every down. Sooner or later he will probably end that streak. The OP is correct in assessing where we Need to build. Investing in the quarterback whoever it might be would be foolish without having offensive line depth to protect the quarterback. 

And “Depth” isn’t something you spend high valued picks on.

Only teams who do that are the one who have their franchise QB, in addition to a plethora of other picks with hardly any other glaring holes.

@Vergehow do you see the Bears playing this out? If I were the Bears GM, I would try to trade down first with Houston, then with Indy, collecting as many picks along the way as I could.

And, what do you see the Panthers having to give up to get to #3? Has Arizona indicated they are willing to trade back to 9?

4 hours ago, ncfan said:

And “Depth” isn’t something you spend high valued picks on.

Only teams who do that are the one who have their franchise QB, in addition to a plethora of other picks with hardly any other glaring holes.

I dunno…

If for whatever reason we can’t land a QB I’d at least talk about the Johnson/Skoronski route 

Offensive tackles under rookie contracts are the next most valuable thing. The Giants were set up nicely with Thomas and Neal until they decided to take that money and use it on Jones lol

Moton’s cap hit shoots up to 24 for the next 3 seasons 

Christensen and Corbett both suffered injuries and Corbett most likely won’t be ready to start the season. Cade Mays should be able to fill in at RG but Christensen is far from great. I’m not advocating we do this, I want to sell the farm for the 1st overall pick but if we can’t get QB it’s at the very least worth discussing

Again, to be clear, I want a f’n QB and would do anything to get one (and sounds like Scott is willing to do so too) but if we can’t then yeah…

I’m sure as sh!t not spending another top 10 pick on a cornerback at 9 so rule all those out for me

23 minutes ago, ncfan said:

@Verge

what are your thought on Will Kunkle stating his sources have Young and Levi’s QB1 and QB2 then a large gap to Stroud at QB3 and they don’t really like ARich.

If you are referring to the Panthers on Tap podcast he is speculating about AR because he isnt ready to play yet and he clearly says "in my opinion, Young and Levis fit Reichs offense the best".  If there is an article  where he states his sources and the rankings then I would love to read it.  

29 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If you are referring to the Panthers on Tap podcast he is speculating about AR because he isnt ready to play yet and he clearly says "in my opinion, Young and Levis fit Reichs offense the best".  If there is an article  where he states his sources and the rankings then I would love to read it.  

That’s what I was referring to.  And was left scratching my head with the fit part

Because Young and Levis are no where near alike.  And really Stroud plays closer to Young (who is their #1 guy) yet Stroud doesn’t fit nearly as much as Levis.

One of these things is not like the other as far as playing style and fit.  And it not Stroud or Young

Stroud and Young are like Burrow and Brees.  More PGs who like to spread the ball around.  While Levis is a gun slinger who willingly takes off and use his body in the run game (hence why they compare him to Josh Allen)

So how he’s the fit, we he isn’t similar at all to the other 2.  Makes you question this.

Edited by ncfan

9 minutes ago, ncfan said:

That’s what I was referring to.  And was left scratching my head with the fit part

Because Young and Levis are no where near alike.  And really Stroud plays closer to Young (who is their #1 guy) yet Stroud doesn’t fit nearly as much as Levis.

One of these things is not like the other as far as playing style and fit.  And it not Stroud or Young

That's just his opinion I believe 

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

That's just his opinion I believe 

True it was just a weird analogy and explanation 

its like

“I believe they get the Corvette or the Jacked up Jeep with mud tires because it fits their life style and what they like to do.  Then a gap then they like the mustang as the 3rd choice”

2 hours ago, ncfan said:

@Verge

what are your thought on Will Kunkle stating his sources have Young and Levi’s QB1 and QB2 then a large gap to Stroud at QB3 and they don’t really like ARich.

I don't believe that is true from my understanding. I think they are big on Young and Stroud. I am not entirely sure of their opinion on Richardson yet but I am going to do some digging. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

@Vergehow do you see the Bears playing this out? If I were the Bears GM, I would try to trade down first with Houston, then with Indy, collecting as many picks along the way as I could.

And, what do you see the Panthers having to give up to get to #3? Has Arizona indicated they are willing to trade back to 9?

I see the Bears fleecing someone before FA. Pay the premium to make it happen before then. My sense is that Indi obviously has the best shot of moving up and our ideal spot is Arizona. If we land on being okay with the top three guys it makes sense for us to move to three and let one of them land on us. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Verge said:

I see the Bears fleecing someone before FA. Pay the premium to make it happen before then. My sense is that Indi obviously has the best shot of moving up and our ideal spot is Arizona. If we land on being okay with the top three guys it makes sense for us to move to three and let one of them land on us. 

So basically we need to be sold on Levis or AR and we trade with the Cards if we can?