• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Via Panthers Wire via The Athletic , Person says we like AR, but not enough. Buzz about the 3rd

top dawg

Well, you can chock it up to Person speculating, but it makes sense to me considering Anthony Richardson's 2022 season. He had a nice Combine, but are all these football minds going to give the Underwear Olympics so much importance that they'd draft AR based on that and media-driven hype? I wouldn't think so.

"My sense is the Panthers — like a lot of other teams — like Richardson’s raw talent, but not enough to draft him high. But if Richardson’s record-setting performance Saturday changed the way other teams view the 6-4, 244-pound athlete, it could bump one of the other guys down a spot."

I wonder what the "buzz" about our interest in trading to three actually was and from where did it originate? 

"Still, as Fitterer said, if you’re sold on one of the quarterbacks, you have to go up and get him, which means trading away a couple of future first-round picks. There was buzz in Indy the Panthers are interested in swapping spots with Arizona at 3, which would guarantee they’d get one of the top three QBs."

Trading to three doesn't make sense to me unless we're happy with three of the top draft prospects at quaterback. Could be, but I doubt it. Maybe we know something as to what Houston is going to do, or perhaps it's just the lying season. Who knows? 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/06/panthers-not-high-anthony-richardson-combine-draft-cardinals/

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

Trading to 3 makes sense to me for the right price - by Draft Value we could get to #3 only giving up our 2nd RD pick this year and next (#39 pick only).  We would still have the late 2nd this year and keep all our 1st in the future.  If that lands us Stroud, Young, or Levis I think it is worth it.

Plus if we did feel the need to jump to #1 it should really only take an additional 1st rounder next year to do it, which overall means we gave up one 1RD and two 2RD's to get to the first spot....that isn't horrible.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

The more I think about it the more I think we have to get to 1. Sounds like we are locked in on Stroud. You can’t risk Houston grabbing him at 2 if that’s your guy. 

Come on down, CJ 

If we move to one CJ has to be the guy IMO.  Lowest floor with a high ceiling too.  

• Pie 3

Just now, Kentucky Panther said:

The more I think about it the more I think we have to get to 1. Sounds like we are locked in on Stroud. You can’t risk Houston grabbing him at 2 if that’s your guy. 

Come on down, CJ 

My money is on it being Levis right now. It think they try to trade with the Cardinals if possible and let someone else get Young and Stroud.  Just a feeling I have based on nothing but my itching left testicle. 

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

I’m not going to fret about it but it’s such a big freaking risk. They better nail it or we’re poo for another 3-4 years, looking for another coach again. 

I’d rather be conservative but that doesn’t guarantee success either. At least pre-season and this season will be so much more hopeful. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

Come on down, CJ 

You have to go 1, because if you go 3, another QB needy team will just cave to Chicagos demands and get 1; effectively taking both Young and Stroud off the board. Houston is going to take Young or Stroud. 

Gotta get the 1st pick

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Stingray3030 said:

Trading to 3 makes sense to me for the right price - by Draft Value we could get to #3 only giving up our 2nd RD pick this year and next (#39 pick only).  We would still have the late 2nd this year and keep all our 1st in the future.  If that lands us Stroud, Young, or Levis I think it is worth it.

Plus if we did feel the need to jump to #1 it should really only take an additional 1st rounder next year to do it, which overall means we gave up one 1RD and two 2RD's to get to the first spot....that isn't horrible.

I feel like a trade up to 3 is going to, at minimum, cost us a 2 this year, a 1 next year, and another pick or two thrown in. Arizona is going to get a premium for 3. 

Just accept any trade up is going to require a future 1st, if not multiple 1’s

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I think most people think Stroud is the best QB in this class.

The question is how bad do we want him. Probably have to give up 3 1st to get that #1 pick.

IF we really think he is the next great QB then we have to pull the trigger IMO.  

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

My money is on it being Levis right now. It think they try to trade with the Cardinals if possible and let someone else get Young and Stroud.  Just a feeling I have based on nothing but my itching left testicle. 

If we like Levis the most this makes sense. I don’t see a scenario at this point he goes one. So let another team take their guy at one and grab ours 2 picks later without giving up as much. I could see it, if Will is our guy. 

4 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

You have to go 1, because if you go 3, another QB needy team will just cave to Chicagos demands and get 1; effectively taking both Young and Stroud off the board. Houston is going to take Young or Stroud. 

Gotta get the 1st pick

Yup. I think we want Stroud and the only path to get him at this point I think is going 1 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1