• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brinson basically calls "collusion," but essentially says it's nearly impossible to prove

top dawg

I called collusion as soon as all the teams started dropping those tweets about not being interested. Then you see the players tweeting about it.

This is the owners saying "The Watson contract is not the new standard". Add in Lamar is represented by his mom. No way the owners are going to easily pay Lamar that contract.

He will likely be a Raven unless some team doesn't get a QB in the draft which likely might be us especially if we don't trade up for a QB.

• Pie 2

I called it a 'coordinated QB market correction.'  I'm surprised members of the Browns brass hasn't found  severed horses heads in their beds or mysteriously gone missing.  They pissed off all the League owners with that Watson contract.  Heck, even Tepper--QB hard up  David Tepper-- wouldn't fully guarantee the contract even though the total money was said not to be that far off from Cleveland's offer.

• Pie 4

7 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

We have a fan base and owner that is still reeling from a goat whose career was stolen by injuries and POS ass clown refs in SB 50. 

Emphasis added. 

I just wanted to repeat this post because it seems vaguely important somehow.

fug you and your refs Roger Goodell.

You blatantly allowed headhunting on our QB while at the same time blatantly enforcing unspoken don't touch rules on other QB's.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I called it a 'coordinated QB market correction.'  I'm surprised members of the Browns brass hasn't found  severed horses heads in their beds or mysteriously gone missing.  They pissed off all the League owners with that Watson contract.  Heck, even Tepper--QB hard up  David Tepper-- wouldn't fully guarantee the contract even though the total money was said not to be that far off from Cleveland's offer.

There should be a 30 for 30 on that situation. Im still shocked the Browns gave him a fully guaranteed contract after the issues he had off the field. Just will never make sense.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, top dawg said:

Will Brinson says what many are thinking:

"The idea of Baltimore dangling Lamar to the entire league, and no one having ANY INTEREST WHATSOEVER, is just wild. A 26-year-old former MVP simply DOES NOT become available in the NFL with no interest from other teams. 

"And not just no interest but a very quick lack of interest from a host of teams who have been aggressively pursuing quarterback solutions for the last 3-5 years. 

"There's a virtually zero percent chance of anything happening here. Good luck proving a bunch of NFL owners don't want to acquire Lamar Jackson simply to suppress a rogue contract given to another player in a similar situation just a year ago. But that reality makes a lot more sense than the idea of no one even wanting to consider acquiring a 26-year-old former MVP."

Yeah, he pretty much lays it all out, including using the Panthers as a prime example of how nonsensical all this is.

"The Carolina Panthers are largely irrelevant on a national stage. The Panthers with Lamar Freaking Jackson? That's a team getting multiple primetime games every year and the immediate favorite to win the NFC South..."

Yeah, we've been largely irrelevant on a national stage since Cam's downfall. It still stings for Brinson to say it. People, especially in NFL circles, have bought into the narrative of Moneybags Tepper being hellbent on landing a franchise QB though, even if it makes him seem kinda like a clown (at least how Brinson wrote it).

"David Tepper has been rejected multiple times in an attempt to trade for a franchise quarterback, including Watson, Matthew Stafford and -- not even joking here -- Carson Wentz. Lamar Jackson's on the block and he doesn't even want to check in on what it might take to acquire him? Again, sure."

I mean I think that it's only the naive that can't smell a rat. There certainly seems to be something fishy going on, but as an old Fox used to say, "It is, what it is." Not paying Lamar like Deshaun Watson has obvious justifications. Hell, not paying Watson like Watson had justifications. Mind you, this Lamar Jackson story is far from over, but we'll see what happens when the brash and charismatic Joe Burrow is on deck.

Brinson's piece is compelling to say the least.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/no-nfl-teams-want-to-acquire-lamar-jackson-and-the-reason-why-seems-painfully-obvious/amp/

So no doubt there is collusion in the NFL.  Fans have a habit of wanting to selectively believe when it happens. 

In regards to Lamar Jackson there could be collusion.  Someone should be interested in him.  Teams are definitely staying away from paying that kind of money.  Owners don't just compete with each other, they work together.  Ultimately they're all business partners so there is no doubt they compartmentalize their teams strategy for profit and the league's strategy, which has to be the collective.   The league wants to erase the mistake of the Watson contract, and I have no doubt that many owners are probably furious over how that scenario played out, and now are trying to prevent it.

I will say that there are concerns about Jackson on the field.  While a great player he has had limited success in the playoffs.  His style of play greatly increases the chance of injury. Jackson is a QB with the same injury risk as an RB.  Historically these players do not have the same length of careers as pass first qbs.  We saw that this past season.  It could have been a holdout situation marketed as an injury too.  While I think he is an underrated passer,  I don't think he could have the same modicum of success that he has now if his mobility was more limited.  If I was a GM I'd only want to sign Jackson to a 3 year deal.  Anything over 5 years with Lamar is an extreme risk.  It's not impossible that most owners may individually think this way.  

Jackson's contract being compared with Watson's contract is not a fair comparison.  That actually might be a comparison rooted with a racial undertone because they are completely different players and one of the few things they have in common is they're color.

Court cases aside. Watson the player, while mobile, is a pure QB.  His game lends itself to being able to play into his late 30s.  He can absolutely destroy you in the pocket when he is in form.  While he can definitely rely on his legs when things break down in the play, that's not what his game is structured around.

Conversely running the ball is precisely what Jackson's game is structured around.  If you can stop Jackson running the ball you beat the Ravens unless your offense is shut out.  The type of physical punishment that Jackson will be required to take for a playoff push is insane and far more then most qbs.  I think this is also why we haven't seen Jackson in the SB.  Ultimately Jackson is relatively one dimensional.  He doesn't have a comparison in that regard.

Vick was a great passer,  who had the ability to adapt his game.  If it wasn't for the dogfighting thing then he's a hall of famer.  Cam was a good pocket passer as well.  Cam stood in that pocket and took some shots to deliver the ball.  Jalen Hurts reminds me a lot of Cam not Jackson. Still though both Vick and Cam's play drastically deteriorated around the age of 29 and 30.  Vick came back as a bridge starter slash back up, but was unable to capture the magic, and we know how it went for Cam.  I'm comparing Cam and Vick, because those are two of the most proficient QB's at running the football other than Jackson.

Edited by TheMaulClaw
  • Pie 3

16 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Theyre already making it a racial issue. Im so sick of the media.

I didn't here anything like that (not saying it didn't happen). I mean I did here something about white owners not allowing a black QB telling them what to do, but I thought that was a more offhanded type of remark and I don't remember who said it (host or guest). They have intimated that there's possible collusion, but so have a few of their guests. Sam Acho, a past exec of the NFLPA, said that collusion is hard to prove and mentioned Collin Kaepernick as an example. From what I heard, race hasn't really been a primary object of the discussion.

Edited by top dawg

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I didn't here anything like that (not saying it didn't happen). I mean I did here something about whkte owners not allowing a black QB telling thwm what to do, but I thought that was a more offfhanded type of remark and I don't remember who said it (host or guest). They have intimated that there's possible collusion, but so have a few of their guests. Sam Acho, a past exec of the NFLPA, said that collusion is hard to prove and mentioned Collin Kaepernick as an example. From what I heard, race hasn't really been a primary object of the discussion.

It wasn't about race. They basically was saying a guy of Lamar's caliber having no teams offer him a contract is kind of puzzling. It's collusion without a doubt. Has nothing to do with race.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Collusion is certainly possible but it's also possible that the NFL at large has caught wind of Lamar's contract demands and has no interest in coming close to them. If Lamar had played at an MVP level and stayed healthy last year there would likely be no shortage of potentially suitors.

The reality is that Lamar has struggled with injuries the past two seasons and his play has suffered for it. He's not in a great position at the moment to demand a historic contract.

So did CMC and we saw how that played out as soon as he got to a different team. The Ravens have a lot going on in their organization and it’s not good. You should read up on it. I’d take Lamar over Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr, and Geno Smith.