• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Confused Why Some Seem to Think We Got Fleeced

Daddy_Uncle

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Let’s see what we do to address the WR room and if we pick Stroud before we release final judgement. Does that seem fair?

All any of us are doing is predicting what'll happen and that's all we'll continue to do. Predict and react. 

The thing that concerns me most is that when I've loved a major trade, it turned out pretty well (Olsen in 2011 comes to mind among others), and when I hated it or it even gave me pause (Darnold trade, but even moreso the Henderson trade) I tried to justify it but ultimately thought it sucked. And, it did. 

The last time this team spent a first-round pick on a guy I didn't want, and who turned out great, was 2005. 

And as far as the WR room, I do not believe Fitterer is capable of upgrading or even treading water there. He drafts bad WRs, and is prone to being sold lemons quite easily. The pass-catchers he's acquired are not good players. Shenault is a decent WR4. The others, just my opinion, won't get a single start whenever they leave here.

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

1 first
2 seconds
DJ Moore

That's not a lot to give up for the #1 pick. WRs are easier to get than QBs. We have messed around with the QB situation for years and it hasn't worked. Now we have OUR choice. Not whoever is left over. We control this draft. 

I would have expected to give up more to get to #1 from #9. 

It doesn't matter to them, they dug into their "lets just roll with another retread QB for another season" hole so they would be against it no matter what.

Losing a first and two seconds will not set this team back even if the QB is a bust. And Moore's prime would be wasted anyway if they went with a retread QB. So yeah

Edited by Sean Payton's Vicodin
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

And as far as the WR room, I do not believe Fitterer is capable of upgrading or even treading water there. He drafts bad WRs, and is prone to being sold lemons quite easily. The pass-catchers he's acquired are not good players. Shenault is a decent WR4. The others, just my opinion, won't get a single start whenever they leave here.

How much of that was him and how much of that was Rhule is the question. 

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, ATLpanther said:

It’s not so much the amount of compensation for me but more about is there a sure fire future pro bowl qb in this draft? Statistics would say this is still a risky move based on the batting average of top ten qb’s actually panning out. I’m not saying we shouldn’t do this but there is no Andrew Luck in this draft. Let’s just hope Stroud leads us to the promised land cause if he doesn’t we are fugged for a while. 

As we know,  NOTHING IS GUARANTEED WHEN MAKING A DRAFT PICK.

We have been treading water for 5 years.  Signing a veteran QB could work, but  that's not guaranteed any more than picking number one overall.  

Tepper is taking a swing..  trying.  Not sitting still and having a mediocre future .

I don't think we're through either.  I think we'll have a new WR via free agency , maybe draft, or both 

• Pie 3

19 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

The only way we will know if we go fleeced is to look at this a few years from now.  If we draft Young or Stroud, and they turn out to be the next Patrick Mahomes, it was a great deal.  If we draft one of them and it turns out that the qb is a bust, and the Bears become a playoff contender, then we got fleeced.  

If both teams still suck, then it doesn't matter.  

Doesn’t have to be Mahomes, I will take Burrow 🙂

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

All any of us are doing is predicting what'll happen and that's all we'll continue to do. Predict and react. 

The thing that concerns me most is that when I've loved a major trade, it turned out pretty well (Olsen in 2011 comes to mind among others), and when I hated it or it even gave me pause (Darnold trade, but even moreso the Henderson trade) I tried to justify it but ultimately thought it sucked. And, it did. 

The last time this team spent a first-round pick on a guy I didn't want, and who turned out great, was 2005. 

Believe me, I understand the doubt and skepticism. We have been a poorly run franchise for a while now. I’m just giving Reich and Co a chance until they prove me wrong. I’ve been very happy with the entire staff he has built so far.

1 minute ago, OceanPanther said:

As we know,  NOTHING IS GUARANTEED WHEN MAKING A DRAFT PICK.

We have been treading water for 5 years.  Signing a veteran QB could work, but  that's not guaranteed any more than picking number one overall.  

Tepper is taking a swing..  trying.  Not sitting still and having a mediocre future .

I don't think we're through either.  I think we'll have a new WR via free agency , maybe draft, or both 

Sitting still and having a mediocre future is not fun. But the idea of Tepper trying anything is a far worse nightmare. If he wants a guy, stay away from him.

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

It doesn't matter to them, they dug into their "lets just roll with another retread QB for another season" hole so they would be against it no matter what.

Losing a first and two seconds will not set this team back even if the QB is a bust. And Moore's prime would be wasted anyway if they went with a retread QB. So yeah

Exactly. The "Panthers mortgaged their future" perspective doesn't sit either. We didn't mortgage the future at all, it was more like a high interest personal loan. Even if our QB busts (which you'll know in 2-3 years anyway), then we'll have all our picks to try again. This was an absolute steal compared to what other teams in the past have given up to get the #1 pick.

• Pie 6

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Believe me, I understand the doubt and skepticism. We have been a poorly run franchise for a while now. I’m just giving Reich and Co a chance until they prove me wrong. I’ve been very happy with the entire staff he has built so far.

I really liked some of the hires, and didn't dislike a single one. His first charge is to pick the right guy in April and I have major doubts he's gonna do it.