• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would you ask from Houston?

Mr. Scot

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've given you plenty.

You don't get it.

Teams have equal grades on players all the time. What typically separates one from the other in a case like that is a combo of positional value, need, etc. But that doesn't apply here because we're talking about players at the same position.

In a case like this, a team will ultimately choose one. That does not however mean they couldn't be equally happy with the other.

And acting as if that means someone can't be trusted to do their job has taken this from simple discussion into the realm of the ridiculous.

I get all that, but we're not talking about which movie you're going to watch tonight and that you'd be equally happy between 2 different movies here.

We're talking about the most important player for a team worth billions of dollars and will be leading that team for the next 10+ years.  If you took one player over the other, even if you would be perfectly happy with the other, you would have done that for a reason.

And at a position like QB, I think you go with that player and not let someone else make the decision for you.

That's all.

And yes, my example of them needing to be fired if they couldn't choose is ridiculous, but so is the reasoning I gave that would make them be fired in my example, literally flipping a coin to make the decision, which in reality would never happen because they'd find a way to make a call between the two players.

And that is the crux of my argument when responding to your "equal grade" point.  That in the end, there is no such thing as a completely and 100% equal grade, there is always some way to make a decision as to who is ranked above the other, even if they get the same "grade" there is still some way to rank one over the other.

And I don't care if that difference is the equivalent of what 1 cent is to a billionaire, if you found a way to differentiate them, no matter how small, you take that player instead of trading down to pick up a 2nd rounder.

Hence as I've said in this thread, my cost is #2, #12, and 2024 1st, and even then, we have to be very certain that they are taking the player we wouldn't take if we kept the pick.  Getting the right QB is that important to me that I wouldn't do it for anything less than that.

Edited by tukafan21

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Oilers became the Titans.

I think there were a couple of other names between the Texans and the Chiefs (early NFL teams could be a lot more mobile than their modern counterparts).

I knew they became the Titans wasn’t sure if Houston had a team called the Texans prior to the NFL.. my earlier questions were just jokes to ask Houston cuz I am not giving them the number 1 pick!! 😁

2 minutes ago, DamnItJake! said:

I knew they became the Titans wasn’t sure if Houston had a team called the Texans prior to the NFL.. my earlier questions were just jokes to ask Houston cuz I am not giving them the number 1 pick!! 😁

I got it 😄

Me being an NFL history buff, I actually like to know these things. I got the Texans part right, just happened to the wrong city.

2 minutes ago, pdub0702 said:

I’d ask for their 12 and 33. Outside of that I’d hope we keep our pick. 

I could live with next year's first.

Hell, If they offered us a pick plus a player, I might think about it if the player was good enough.

Edited by Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I got it 😄

Me being an NFL history buff, I actually like to know these things. I got the Texans part right, just happened to the wrong city.

Haha it’s cool my uncle was an Oilers fan.. as a kid he had Warren Moon posters on his wall!! He loved the Oilers!! 

27 minutes ago, RockyTopVol said:

I would think if they loved one QB over another, they would have traded up with Chicago. 

That's the other thing in all of this that's kinda being ignored that I think ends all this talk before it begins.

I'd find it very hard to believe the Bears made this trade without one last check in with the Texans, as trading down to #2 and then trading down again likely would have gotten them the biggest return, especially as they could have still traded #2 to us for close to the same offer.

If the Texans didn't feel it necessary to make that move then, I can't see that changing before draft day unless something happens in their evaluation and they decide there is only 1 real option and they think we're going to take that player.

And if that happens, it means some players had terrible pro days or had injuries and we likely would have come to the same conclusion as well.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Because they don't know that.

Likewise, they don't know whether we might have talked to somebody else who wants to trade up for their guy.

There are known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns.

Unknown unknowns are the most dangerous to anyone's plans.

To reduce the likelihood of unknown unknowns ruining the Panthers plans they need to keep it simple.

Pick their #1 pick with their #1 pick.

Feels like a Joe Pisarcik moment.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Losing faith in a staff that hasn't coached a single game (hell, hasn't coached a single play) because they handled the draft differently than you would have? 🤔

They have a draft process: interviews, visits, meetings, etc. All indications are there going to put full effort into that process...and we'll they should.

And to be clear, they don't have to play any mind games. They have the #1 pick.

They could go out tomorrow, issue a press release and tell the entire world "we're picking Player X" and nobody could do jack sh-t about it.

Not mind games. Don't tell anyone what they are planning because it's really nobodies business until draft day.

And yes, I would lose faith in them because it would be a stupid move. Trading back and missing out on the guy you think is best? Why the hell would you do that? And no, it's not a matter of "either one will do." They're going to go through "the process" but for nothing less than convincing themselves that they are making the right decision on the guy I'm sure they have already decided on.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

Not mind games. Don't tell anyone what they are planning because it's really nobodies business until draft day.

And yes, I would lose faith in them because it would be a stupid move. Trading back and missing out on the guy you think is best? Why the hell would you do that? And no, it's not a matter of "either one will do." They're going to go through "the process" but for nothing less than convincing themselves that they are making the right decision on the guy I'm sure they have already decided on.

Same. It's not like it's the top 2 DE's or something. It's the face of the franchise. You don't get this coaching staff of QB experts for them to say "we liked both, either would do". How do you think that QB and the other guys in the locker room would feel about that? I would be offended if Fitt and Reich came out in the presser after trading back 1 spot and said "we liked both so we let the Texans pick their favorite so we could get an extra 2nd rounder". What if you do the trade and then the Texans trade #1 to the Colts last minute and they take our guy? We'd look like fuging morons

• Pie 2