• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Statistics: There is no correlation btwn QB height and batted passes

Saca312

What are the factors that cause passes to be batted down at the line of scrimage?

1. Locking in on one WR or telegraphing passes.

2. Release time-a slow release gives the DL time to get their hands up.

3. A sidearm or three-quarters delivery.

4.  Pressure on the passer, disrupting the timing.

5.  RBs who are late to the gap to pick up a blitzer.

6. WRs not getting separation.

7.  Hurricane force winds or tornadoes.

8, Low flying birds

9.  Defensive lineman wearing platform shoes or springs

10. clay disc or ske et shooters.  (there! I was trying for 10)

Edited by MHS831

On 3/26/2023 at 12:20 AM, Rags said:

Yeah I didn't rly buy it w/ Baker, I just think he's predictable as poo lol.

However, I 100% believe it does effect how well you see over the pocket. Which is my bigger concern. 

Good QBs will always recognize areas that are a natural weakness and they will adapt to work around them and overcome them. Good coaching staffs help this happen.

It can be a big deal, but it can also be worked around, which it seems Young has been able to do. Yet to be seen if he can do it in the pros, but this is one thing that i think he will be able to carry over to the pros.

He'll find his sight lanes. He'll have to scramble to do it, but he can do it.

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I would like to see if there is a study showing a correlation between player/QB size and injury frequency/durability.

Surely it's been done.

Only one I can find is this one.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/weight-and-injuries

I've been trying to find something else that does something similar for a while, i'm surprised there isnt more out there.

• Pie 1

On 3/26/2023 at 12:17 AM, Saca312 said:

Saw an interesting chart recently. All the more on topic considering the Panthers QB choices.

C3275520-492F-43C0-B89D-14DF9DA45C4E.thumb.jpeg.8627db9ca3842eb82a5fc53a05643d5f.jpeg

It appears there is no correlation between QB height and batted passes. What matters more is how well the QB avoids telegraphing throws and manages himself, not height.

Source

I remember Cam had his share of batted balls. 

17 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

My concern with Young is more his frame than his height. 

i keep seeing this concern, and i have it myself, but i wonder if it's really warranted? I mean are smaller framed players, esp. QBs, more prone to injury? Do the stats bear that out? 

I'm going to start another thread about this.  seems like a worthwhile discussion. 

33 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I would like to see if there is a study showing a correlation between player/QB size and injury frequency/durability.

Surely it's been done.

It would have to be really in depth because there's a ton of variables at play. Some positions are getting hit more than others. A slot recievers getting banged up more than someone on the outside, linemen may well have increased risk at the heavier they are, do you count non-contact injuries, etc

19 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

Dont care about the batted balls, it happened to Baker so much because our offense was dog poo.

I just dont want a smaller version of Russell Wilson. He doesnt have a super bowl ring without one of the best D's of all time and the horseshoe tied to a rabbits foot stuck up his ass. 

People tend to forget that about Seattle. Wagner, Chancellor, 29, Sherman, Browning

Man they were stacked and it was all home grown.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

What are the factors that cause passes to be batted down at the line of scrimage?

1. Locking in on one WR or telegraphing passes.

2. Release time-a slow release gives the DL time to get their hands up.

3. A sidearm or three-quarters delivery.

4.  Pressure on the passer, disrupting the timing.

5.  RBs who are late to the gap to pick up a blitzer.

6. WRs not getting separation.

7.  Hurricane force winds or tornadoes.

8, Low flying birds

9.  Defensive lineman wearing platform shoes or springs

10. clay disc or ske et shooters.  (there! I was trying for 10)

All this is what makes a QB so predictable on everything he does. Can't win games if you are predictable and opposing teams know what you will do every snap. I just hope our new QB doesn't end up that way.

Edited by PantherOnTheProwl1523

16 hours ago, Wes21 said:

If you could create an alternate universe where you dropped CJ Stroud at QB and then Bryce Young at QB to run the exact same play against the exact same defense, the 2 guys would often make it look completely different.  CJ has the ability to make it look like the receiver was open and the pass blocking was on point.  So of course it was a completion, it was easy.  Byce can take that same play and make it look like none of his receivers are open and that the pass protection was bad, so he had to improvise and make a heroic play.  Or as I said in another thread...CJ has a knack for making things look easy while Bryce has a knack for making things look harder.

I understand your point, it's definitely a valid one. I agree that at times, it would be beneficial to see Bryce maintain his poise in the pocket instead of running outside, as the play could have been there for him. However, I believe that the ability to play outside of structure is more valuable than playing within the structure.

I feel it's preferable to have a quarterback who can improvise when things don't go as planned, especially since they may not always have an elite supporting cast throughout their career. Having someone who has shown effectiveness outside of structure and then teaching them how to play within the structure is more advantageous than asking a quarterback to learn how to play outside of the structure.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I can understand how in a fundamental system, Stroud's ability to hit quick and precise throws would be a better fit. Reich's system is tailor-made for that, and I can see the perspective of choosing Stroud as the #1 pick for that.

Overall, they are both very close in terms of talent and ability. Both are deserving of the #1 overall pick, and it ultimately comes down to what the Carolina team values more and which quarterback is the best fit for their system.

Batted passes happen to guys with big arms and protracted windups no matter what height. Baker was one of the hardest throwers in his draft class and people forget Cam had the same problem at nearly 6’6”. If the ball comes out on a rope buzzing the linemen all it takes is a defender to get his hands up. It shouldn’t be a significant issue for either option in the draft this year. 

The much more valid concern is size to durability and size to obstructed field vision. 

9 hours ago, rayzor said:

Good QBs will always recognize areas that are a natural weakness and they will adapt to work around them and overcome them. Good coaching staffs help this happen.

It can be a big deal, but it can also be worked around, which it seems Young has been able to do. Yet to be seen if he can do it in the pros, but this is one thing that i think he will be able to carry over to the pros.

He'll find his sight lanes. He'll have to scramble to do it, but he can do it.

I don't doubt it, but him scrambling is part of my concern.

QBs like Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen get banged up because defensive players hate QBs, the hell you think they're gonna do to a guy <200lbs?

37 minutes ago, Rags said:

I don't doubt it, but him scrambling is part of my concern.

QBs like Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen get banged up because defensive players hate QBs, the hell you think they're gonna do to a guy <200lbs?

They got to catch him first.