• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Statistics: There is no correlation btwn QB height and batted passes

Saca312

I’m not worried about batted balls as much as missing open reads through lack of vision, not making the pass because the lane isn’t there, not being able to play under center, and of course durability. I just keep thinking of how great Baker was in college vs NFL. His size seemed to limit him more than expected at the next level. 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m not worried about batted balls as much as missing open reads through lack of vision, not making the pass because the lane isn’t there, not being able to play under center, and of course durability. I just keep thinking of how great Baker was in college vs NFL. His size seemed to limit him more than expected at the next level. 

Baker Mayfield Johnny Manziel. Smaller than both. But he's the next Steph Curry of the NFL 🤪

• Beer 1

Just now, frankw said:

Baker Mayfield Johnny Manziel. Smaller than both. But he's the next Steph Curry of the NFL 🤪

I mean Baker crushed it in college. He also was dodging defenders making some backyard football plays and won the heisman doing it. Now I’m sure Young is off the charts with his work ethic, but at the end of the day the offense will still be limited to a degree.

I love the video @*FreeFua*posted the other day. People are getting too focused on finding the next Mahomes with those broken play highlights. Finding the next Mahomes will probably never happen. An elite prospect inside the pocket has worked consistently in the NFL. Think Brees, Brady, both Mannings and the lost goes on because 90% of the game can be played in the pocket. If they can extend the play under pressure that’s  just a great bonus, but not really a primary trait.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean Baker crushed it in college. He also was dodging defenders making some backyard football plays and won the heisman doing it. Now I’m sure Young is off the charts with his work ethic, but at the end of the day the offense will still be limited to a degree.

I love the video @*FreeFua*posted the other day. People are getting too focused on finding the next Mahomes with those broken play highlights. Finding the next Mahomes will probably never happen. An elite prospect inside the pocket has worked consistently in the NFL. Think Brees, Brady, both Mannings and the lost goes on because 90% of the game can be played in the pocket. If they can extend the play under pressure that’s  just a great bonus, but not really a primary trait.

Mahomes is a unicorn. As good as he is he's still got 5 more rings to go anyways. We don't need to rebuild our franchise around the copycat mentality. We hired over a quarter century worth of coaching wisdom. I hardly think their first order of business is basically copy pasting the Chiefs. You see what Reich and the Eagles did with Wentz and Foles. There are different paths. But I'm just not convinced the formula for Young some people are talking themselves into based on 3 outliers in 40 years is the fantastic plan they think it is. We'll see if the staff agrees soon enough.

• Pie 6

1 hour ago, bababoey said:

This is pretty much my only problem with Young.  Young never wants to give up on plays and holds the ball forever.  It worked in college, ask Manziel how it will work in the NFL.  Not saying Young is Manziel, because he is 10x better at least, but you have to get rid of the ball in the NFL and can't make a living off broken plays. 

Have you seen how long Caleb Williams holds onto the ball?

3 minutes ago, bababoey said:

Again talking about the NFL not college.   You can do it in college.  The NFL is another animal. 

My point was everyone is talking about tanking for Caleb and how great a prospect he is, but he holds onto the ball a lot longer than Young. 

2 hours ago, bababoey said:

This is pretty much my only problem with Young.  Young never wants to give up on plays and holds the ball forever.

That's what coaches are for. It's the coaches' job to teach their QB not to do that and either take what the defense is giving him or throw the ball away. And this goes for any QB no matter their size.

9 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

The same linebackers that came from the SEC? 

Remember - half of Bamas games each year are against terrible schools. They always field one of the easiest non-divisional schedules out there.  There are no weeks off in which you don’t even take a hit in the NFL

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah if I'm an NFL team I force Bryce to throw in the pocket giving him no open lanes. Stroud is much harder to game plan for because he will have an answer for every defensive scheme you present. 

• Pie 4

10 hours ago, Moorgan said:

It’sa good chart. I think a lot of people aren’t really concerned about the height per se vice he’s small. The he’s small concern is singularly about injury and not about anything else related to football. I think Young can do everything on the football field. What I’m not sure he can do is survive. Can anyone be taken out by injury? Yup. But who’s more likely to feel the effects of giant men trying to kill you? I would think a little guy.

Having said all that. I’d be really happy to have Young and I want his brain in anyone else’s body lol.IMG_1827.GIF.75f9bc2580fb545e12787555f7173c04.GIF

Image of I wish God would put your heart in some of my players' bodies.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Saw an interesting chart recently. All the more on topic considering the Panthers QB choices.

C3275520-492F-43C0-B89D-14DF9DA45C4E.thumb.jpeg.8627db9ca3842eb82a5fc53a05643d5f.jpeg

It appears there is no correlation between QB height and batted passes. What matters more is how well the QB avoids telegraphing throws and manages himself, not height.

Source

It's all Arm angle and movement. The thing is that there are a ton of other metrics including injuries.

Three QB's last year were around Bryce Youngs measurements: Russell Wilson, Tua, and Kyler. Russell and Tua were knocked out cold at least once and Kyler tore his ACL. 

Obviously that can happen to anyone, including Joe Burrow. However every since Burrow tore his ACL and the Bengals realized that wasn't sustainable, they went and got Jamar Chase and offensive line help. They've been to the AFC Championship game two years in a row.

If our QB Coach says that Stroud is a lot like Burrow, not Burrow-lite or Mini-Burrow, you go get him. Bryce Young being called Mahomes-lite is funny because he's lite in every sense of the word: Arm strength, height, pocket presence, Arm angles, platforms, etc. He was a mini-Mahomes in college. If we could take Young in the 2nd or at 9 I'd have said go for it. But at Number 1? Hell no.

You go with the guy whose comp is Burrow. He reads defenses, makes checks, pre-snap reads, literally walks the ball 60 yards downfield, and tore up the countries best defense in UGA, straight up shook the best defensive tackle in Jalin Carter and threw a touchdown, etc. 

It's not even close. Not. Even. Close. 

Just need Tepper to not screw this up like his soccer team.

• Beer 1