• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nebraska Football: Carolina Panthers fans still think Matt Rhule was ‘the problem’

TheCasillas

Rhule is unproven at a prestigious program like Nebraska once was and wants to be again.  I'm not saying he can't do it, but before he started the "it was not my fault, I wasn't given a chance" BS, I was hoping for his sake he would go to Colorado or Arizona State because the expectations will not be as high.  A year ago he would have been a pretty go fit for Notre Dame.

Once he started his PR tour, my interest in him not falling flat on his face again went to nil.  It's not personal, but I don't suffer BS artists well.

I expect he will have some initial success at Nebraska.  The Cornhuskers were 4-8 last year and have not had a winning season or bowl appearance since 2016, so the bar is low.  They have always recruited well "at home."  But, after a few years of 8-4 or similar, mid-tier bowl appearances, and an inability to get past the big dogs in the Big10, the luster will wear off.  We saw a similar scenario start to play out with Harbaugh at Michigan before they delivered wins against Ohio State. 

Eating at the same table as Ohio State, Michigan, and often Penn State in the conference, and the likes of Bama, Georgia, and Clemson is something he is yet to prove he is capable of.   That level of success takes more than just getting players to buy into the process.  It requires the ability to outcoach the opponents

Then there is the ability to maintain success.  He has never stayed anywhere more than four years to know whether he can maintain success over time.  His limited tenures are not a knock, since he was "working his way up," but it does leave another big question mark. 

So, the leap from Baylor to the NFL was huge and out of his reach.  It is rare that that particular leap is not more than even an established top-tier college coach can handle.  Problem is, the leap from Baylor to where Nebraska wants to be is pretty big, too.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, BIGH2001 said:

It did prior to the transfer portal and NIL. Not sure how the message resonates now. 

This is true. It's gonna be interesting to see how the NCAA responds because this current environment in college revenue sports is just pure chaos. They're going to have to put up some guardrails because the current environment is basically just a pro environment with no contracts and no salary cap.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is true. It's gonna be interesting to see how the NCAA responds because this current environment in college revenue sports is just pure chaos. They're going to have to put up some guardrails because the current environment is basically just a pro environment with no contracts and no salary cap.

And that is different from before how? The money is just out in the open now. These guys look like a million bucks before they ever get drafted before the NIL even started. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Today I learned what "shitpost" meant on the internet... then moments later I found one: https://huskercorner.com/2023/03/24/nebraska-football-carolina-panthers-fans/amp/

The writer can't even provide a productive counter point...  who wants to go blow up his comment section on the article?

Well, considering the synergy we now see between coaching staff and front office, I'd say Rhule trying to control everything was the problem.

I'm not sold that Tepper isn't a part of the issue as well but we will see. We know the staff wants Stroud. If we draft Young it's because of Tepper and at that point my feelings on him will be solidified. 

This staff is a rookie QB's Dream and Stroud has all of the tools to take advantage of it. Young, not so much.

3 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Well, considering the synergy we now see between coaching staff and front office, I'd say Rhule trying to control everything was the problem.

I'm not sold that Tepper isn't a part of the issue as well but we will see. We know the staff wants Stroud. If we draft Young it's because of Tepper and at that point my feelings on him will be solidified. 

This staff is a rookie QB's Dream and Stroud has all of the tools to take advantage of it. Young, not so much.

I dont think Tepper would pull that kind of bullshit. IF we draft young its because the guys all decided it was the best option. 

If Tepper was really flexing like that we would have Fields now instead of Horn. 

Whatever helps you sleep at night tho....

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Today I learned what "shitpost" meant on the internet... then moments later I found one: https://huskercorner.com/2023/03/24/nebraska-football-carolina-panthers-fans/amp/

The writer can't even provide a productive counter point...  who wants to go blow up his comment section on the article?

Thank you for posting that.  It was very entertaining!  (It's much like reading the humorous reasonings of the Flat Earth Society.)

14 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

And that is different from before how? The money is just out in the open now. These guys look like a million bucks before they ever get drafted before the NIL even started. 

The transfer portal is a huge difference. You didn't see this wild literal open free agency until they dropped the sit out a year stipulation. Bringing that back would fix a lot of the situation.

• Pie 1

He inherited a team that was going through a very serious rape scandal and played in the Big12 Championship and the Sugar Bowl in year three. They were a close loss to Oklahoma away from going to the college football playoff. Tepper foolishly threw a bunch of money and power to him; can't blame him for taking the deal. I'm sure he actually felt quite confident he would succeed based on his one year in the NFL w/ the Giants. Tepper thought he found the next Pete Carrol but Pete had 15 years in the NFL before he came back.

2 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

I dont think Tepper would pull that kind of bullshit. IF we draft young its because the guys all decided it was the best option. 

If Tepper was really flexing like that we would have Fields now instead of Horn. 

Whatever helps you sleep at night tho....

We already know that McCown and Reich want Stroud. We know McCown because he basically said as much in his video breakdowns and we know Reich because it's been leaked.

If we take Young it's because of Tepper. He's a business guy and Young is a little more of what you'd expect to see in the corporate world than Stroud. It makes sense that Tepper would like that.

So again, I hope Tepper stays out of it and let's the experts he pays millions for make the decision. 

Tepper hired Rhule though so I'm not holding my breath that he knows what he's doing. If you're an owner, you hire people who are industry experts. Operations subject matter experts, and you trust their judgment. Tepper is like the guy who always wanted to own a team as a hobby and now wants to be involved in the day to day, which I get. I'd probably go out to dinner with potential draft picks as well. But I'd let the guys I pay $75 million to make the decisions.

• Poo 1

19 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Rhule is unproven at a prestigious program like Nebraska once was and wants to be again.  I'm not saying he can't do it, but before he started the "it was not my fault, I wasn't given a chance" BS, I was hoping for his sake he would go to Colorado or Arizona State because the expectations will not be as high.  A year ago he would have been a pretty go fit for Notre Dame.

Once he started his PR tour, my interest in him not falling flat on his face again went to nil.  It's not personal, but I don't suffer BS artists well.

I expect he will have some initial success at Nebraska.  The Cornhuskers were 4-8 last year and have not had a winning season or bowl appearance since 2016, so the bar is low.  They have always recruited well "at home."  But, after a few years of 8-4 or similar, mid-tier bowl appearances, and an inability to get past the big dogs in the Big10, the luster will wear off.  We saw a similar scenario start to play out with Harbaugh at Michigan before they delivered wins against Ohio State. 

Eating at the same table as Ohio State, Michigan, and often Penn State in the conference, and the likes of Bama, Georgia, and Clemson is something he is yet to prove he is capable of.   That level of success takes more than just getting players to buy into the process.  It requires the ability to outcoach the opponents

Then there is the ability to maintain success.  He has never stayed anywhere more than four years to know whether he can maintain success over time.  His limited tenures are not a knock, since he was "working his way up," but it does leave another big question mark. 

So, the leap from Baylor to the NFL was huge and out of his reach.  It is rare that that particular leap is not more than even an established top-tier college coach can handle.  Problem is, the leap from Baylor to where Nebraska wants to be is pretty big, too.

He lost any remaining good will he had with me when he threw everyone under the bus on the way out.

I hope he crashes and burns. 

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

We know the staff wants Stroud. If we draft Young it's because of Tepper and at that point my feelings on him will be solidified.

No we don't. We have a lot of speculation. There is a difference.

In reality, we have no idea who likes whom. Yes there seems to be some clues and hints, but there isn't anything definitive out there that isn't speculation or a potential smokescreen from "people inside the building" etc.

My point is, your statement could be true, but the public has no idea with 100% certainty. Prove me wrong.

(Honestly love when someone can backup what they say. I'd love to see a direct quote from someone within the inner Panthers circle.)