• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Wonderlic?

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

I will never see an issue with gathering more info, even if the test is flawed and not indicative of success on its own. Just another piece of the puzzle, not a big or important one, but a piece nonetheless.

Pretty much this. I'm not really sure how proficient it is at predicting NFL success or even judging intelligence as is relevant to the game of football, but it's a piece of information. 

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

When evaluating potential draft picks (or anything in life), there is such a thing as too much information. Analysis paralysis, you know. For me, the wonderlic falls into that category.

too much truly unnecessary information.

i mean someone could and probably is making an argument for the Wonderlic's value, but i think it's always been overstated and has probably (definitely) done more harm than good, especially in keeping very talented players from playing QB who test poorly but have a very high level of football intelligence.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

If they can play the game, what goes on in their heads shouldn't matter.

The problem is that you also want to draft someone who has basic brains. You know, to help with their finances or outside issues. You can say, oh the team will help them with that. But as we've seen in the past, once a player retires, that help is gone and they crash and burn. So I can see value in wanting someone who has smarts ouside Xs and Os. But this is a sport, and all that matters is if they can play. We just can't complain if the team isn't there for them after they walk away. We're not their parents.