• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chinn confirms he'll be playing more LB (closer to the line)

B_Eazi

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

This dude is Jamal Adams.

Not sure he has a role in a 3-4.

Trade him to the Broncos for Jeudy or Sutton.

/s

A 35 stack defense with Chinn, Shaq, and Luvu on the inside is what I hope they do. Drop Chinn out to S for a traditional 34 with 3+ WR formations.

• Pie 1

He didn't say be would be linebacker. He said he would play closer to the line and mentioned working with  Cooley who is the defensive backs coach.

So it's likely what we've actually heard them say. They have said straight up they saw him as the big nickel. 

Edited by csx
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, KSpan said:

I hate to say it but unless they're going to Joker/SS him, I agree. He operates best in space near the line and that ain't a 3-4 LB's role unless they're running a lot of under and he'll be the backside guy, but even then that's a lot of trash to wade through.

He's still a valuable sub LB/Joker in nickel/dime, but that seems like a waste of talent to eliminate his utility a good portion of the time.

He literally just said he was going to be at the line of scrimmage more. He didn't say Linebacker. He didn't say safety or Big Nickel only at the LOS more. Which is exactly where he needs to be.

8 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

I think the setup is actually nice. If he can play ILB with Luvu OLB in base (20-30% of snaps), but then is Big Nickel most of the other time with some box safety sprinkled in, he plays 95%+ of our snaps easy.  

Luvu will basically be floating between inside and outside which I think is fine.  

Luvu isn't really a pass rusher for 3-4 OLB he's a great blitzer though 

9 hours ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

He literally just said he was going to be at the line of scrimmage more. He didn't say Linebacker. He didn't say safety or Big Nickel only at the LOS more. Which is exactly where he needs to be.

Which fits just fine with what I said, as none of it is untrue.

2 hours ago, Smithers said:

I love how the Huddle is full of professional football talent evaluators who know exactly what a player is capable of doing in each nfl scheme.  Tepper could save a ton of money by not hiring coaches and simply reading the Huddle.  

Some things aren't complicated though. For example, watching Chinn as a rookie and then as a safety these past two years clearly shows what his strengths are. Comparing those strengths with what positions such as 3-4 LBs, as one example, are required to do (take on tackles on the edge, shed linemen head on/sift through trash in the middle) makes it pretty easy to see that such a role (LB) likely wouldn't be his forte. Chinn exceled in space as a 4-3 WLB/Joker/SS type role as players like TD did before him, with TD being a great 4-3 WLB/nickel sub-LB after he gained some weight. If this defense can use him that way then excellent.

20 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Something tells me we're going to see an amazing year out of Jeremy Chinn this season. He's going to be getting a major contract, hope it will be from us.

I think this was the first time I've seen him in a sit down interview, not post game. Smart, well put together guy. We better figure out a way to keep him. FWIW the franchise tag for a safety is $6.5 less than a LB; just saying.

• Pie 1