• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera hints he "didn't mesh" with David Tepper

Mr. Scot

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

Job is much easier.

So it has nothing to do with meshing with Tepper then.... I find it funny that you stated this when only a few months ago Luke Kuechly, David Tepper, and Greg Olsen were spotted having dinner together at Barringtons in South Park... 

He must be unbearable if they are going to dinner together.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I think just because he’s going through the same situation again. Not a lot of head coaches go through a change in ownership, let alone two. Is Rivera the first?

He might be idk. But if I were him I'd be less inclined to be doing media rounds and more inclined to keep my head down and get the team in order.

It was also a generational change in leadership going from Richardson to Tepper. Old school owner versus the new style of owner. Old money vs new money. 

And Rivera might be the youngest of the old school coaches out there. How he came up in the business speaking to ownership/management may have been extremely different from the younger generation of coaches making their way in the system today. 

Now, he's in the coaching chair as another old school-type owner is on the way out and a new school type of owner is on their way in. I think Rivera is referring to the need to be able to speak in a different method than just x's and o's to whoever takes ownership of the team. And I think he's facing the reality that if he doesn't learn the needed language, he's going to go the route of John Fox, Jim Caldwell, Lovie Smith and other relic head coaches that won't grab the head coaching gig again and will be relegated to advisory roles or the C-team on ESPN2 weekends.

I like Rivera as a person, I think there's a really first class guy there. As a coach, he's a player's coach who tries to develop hard-nosed, scrappy teams heavy on grit. The teams are throwbacks, as he is at this point, and he's got to find the secret formula to getting someone else to believe in putting the franchise in his hands again.

He mirrors Washington's organizations in soooo  many ways -- a relic direly needing a total makeover, a record that is meh and one that is starting to billow in the winds of change.

Good luck to him, but I think the task before him isn't going to work out in his favor. There's an entire sea change happening to Washington and I don't think he can find the magic.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

So it has nothing to do with meshing with Tepper then.... I find it funny that you stated this when only a few months ago Luke Kuechly, David Tepper, and Greg Olsen were spotted having dinner together at Barringtons in South Park... 

He must be unbearable if they are going to dinner together.

You can work with people you don't mesh with. Also who doesn't love a free dinner?

Im sure you have worked with people you don't mesh with on your job before.

No big deal dude. No need to keep discussing this.

7 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You can work with people you don't mesh with. Also who doesn't love a free dinner?

Im sure you have worked with people you don't mesh with on your job before.

No big deal dude. No need to keep discussing this.

I didnt take them to dinner nor did I join them for dinner. These guys had options for employment... and came back to us...

I think the discussion ended long ago when you were attempting to share a false narrative with little to no infromation to support it. I don't get the precedence or the drive to do so.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I didnt take them to dinner nor did I join them for dinner. These guys had options for employment... and came back to us...

I think the discussion ended long ago when you were attempting to share a false narrative with little to no infromation to support it. I don't get the precedence or the drive to do so.

You're right I have to stop making false statements. Apparently im the only one on this board not allowed to make up poo.

I see lies on this board every day. I didn't know people take this stuff so seriously. 

I apologize my friend. If you ever in Raleigh hit me up we can go have some coffee and talk about this in person. Have a good day friend.

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

but Luke, TD, and Greg are employees/ambassadors of the Panthers.... so that means they came back... not sure you can say they dont mesh with Tepper if your reasoning is going to be players leaving a franchise going through a rebuild... or retiring for the betterment of their long term health. 

Tepper wasn't the issue 

matt-rhule-getty-ftr-092121_1oxfiolmxluv

• Pie 6

48 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Luke retired,

I don't think anybody saw Luke's retirement as a player as being attributed to Tepper.

There's a small chance that Luke retiring from his office job is slightly related, but there are plenty of stories about how that particular role wasn't the best fit for Luke, time-commitment-wise.

I'd love to see Luke brought on as a specialty education coach -- doing tape reviews with individual players, to teach his preparation and analysis skills.   Or even as a coach advisor, doing his own tape analysis and providing to the team.

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Nobody meshed with Tepper from the Keep Pounding era.

Ron fired, Luke retired, TD left, Greg left, Cam got kicked out.

Then when Cam came back he mentioned something about this not being the same Panthers franchise as he once remembered. Saying that when you have major ownership change then stuff like this always happens. Key faces get moved around or moved out.

Luke left because of the many concussions he was dealing with and had nothing to do with Tepper. TD and Greg retired which was on their own recognizance because their time was up and their bodies couldn't take it anymore. Also nothing to do with Tepper.