• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young under Center

Calboyz13

It's odd how anyone can be so scared of Richardson but not Young. Both have high bust potential for different reasons. But unlike Bryce Young who isn't going to suddenly grow several inches and wake up one day and not be the smallest starter in the NFL Richardson can absolutely develop the football IQ necessary to take the next step. Honestly some people are going a little overboard hyping Young's own processing and football IQ. He isn't professor Xavier and everyone else is a total knothead. I would absolutely be considering Anthony Richardson if I were our staff.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, frankw said:

It's odd how anyone can be so scared of Richardson but not Young. Both have high bust potential for different reasons. But unlike Bryce Young who isn't going to suddenly grow several inches and wake up one day and not be the smallest starter in the NFL Richardson can absolutely develop the football IQ necessary to take the next step. Honestly some people are going a little overboard hyping Young's own processing and football IQ. He isn't professor Xavier and everyone else is a total knothead. I would absolutely be considering Anthony Richardson if I were our staff.

I feel better about Young that Richardson because he has been very good on every level and I think his mind is elite.  I worry about the size.  I think Richardson is a great athlete, but that has not equated to being a great QB.  I see them as being far from equal in terms of experience and processing.  I disagree that people are putting too much emphasis on his football IQ and processing--as a QB, those are the most important traits.  Ryan Fitzpatrick was brilliant, and very limited physically.  During his playing time, many highly-rated QBs with all the tools were drafted and failed.  Yes, he was a backup for the most part, but he used his football IQ and processing speed to be as successful as possible.  Matthew Stafford, Alex Smith, Brady, Eli Manning, Andrew Luck, etc. are reported to be the most intelligent players in recent history.

TE Ben Watson was the only non-QB rated that high--he and Fitzpatrick were tied.

It could be nothing, but AR just does not have the resume Young has--Or CJ Stroud.  He lacks experience and stats to compare to them.  There is reason for concern, but I would not call them comparable---just my take--I appreciate your views because it made me look into it.  I am sure there are bad QBs who were Smart--Leinhart, Gabbart, Logan, for example, but we really have not measured Football IQ properly, in my view.

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I feel better about Young that Richardson because he has been very good on every level and I think his mind is elite.  I worry about the size.  I think Richardson is a great athlete, but that has not equated to being a great QB.  I see them as being far from equal in terms of experience and processing.  I disagree that people are putting too much emphasis on his football IQ and processing--as a QB, those are the most important traits.  Ryan Fitzpatrick was brilliant, and very limited physically.  During his playing time, many highly-rated QBs with all the tools were drafted and failed.  Yes, he was a backup for the most part, but he used his football IQ and processing speed to be as successful as possible.  Matthew Stafford, Alex Smith, Brady, Eli Manning, Andrew Luck, etc. are reported to be the most intelligent players in recent history.

TE Ben Watson was the only non-QB rated that high--he and Fitzpatrick were tied.

It could be nothing, but AR just does not have the resume Young has--Or CJ Stroud.  He lacks experience and stats to compare to them.  There is reason for concern, but I would not call them comparable---just my take--I appreciate your views because it made me look into it.  I am sure there are bad QBs who were Smart--Leinhart, Gabbart, Logan, for example, but we really have not measured Football IQ properly, in my view.

Yeah there are examples that can support either side of the argument. We all have opinions I respect that. On the whole you can make the case BY is a lower risk than AR. But I don't think they are as far apart as some suggest. As I've said there are many things Young does that are very impressive. Myself I'm just assessing if maybe through this process we are giving him more credit than he's earned. None of these prospects have proven anything at the NFL level. We can break down their attributes and assign pros and cons. But they will have to put in the work and have the desire to be great. I just hope we make the right choice.

Whoever we don't pick is going to have high bust potential.  

If the Texans pick Stroud his bust potential jumps.  The Texans have a rookie HC and rookie OC and the OL was bottom 10 in PR% and bottom 6 in pocket time.   Some rumors say that the Texas don't want Stroud at all and will choose Anderson at LB so theres hope he'll drop to a better team.

Young and Stroud were on elite teams with elite coaching.  I'd say SEC is tougher than Big10  and I predict a lot more OSU offensive players to get drafted in the early rounds this season, where last year it was pretty even.

Those of you certain of Stroud's minimal bust potential will be proven right if we pick him, and proven wrong if he ends up in Texas.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Whoever we don't pick is going to have high bust potential.  

If the Texans pick Stroud his bust potential jumps.  The Texans have a rookie HC and rookie OC and the OL was bottom 10 in PR% and bottom 6 in pocket time.   Some rumors say that the Texas don't want Stroud at all and will choose Anderson at LB so theres hope he'll drop to a better team.

Young and Stroud were on elite teams with elite coaching.  I'd say SEC is tougher than Big10  and I predict a lot more OSU offensive players to get drafted in the early rounds this season, where last year it was pretty even.

Those of you certain of Stroud's minimal bust potential will be proven right if we pick him, and proven wrong if he ends up in Texas.

I believe Young can do more with less, but I also think Stroud can do more with more. Currently I believe we have a team and coaches where Stroud would excel behind what Young can do.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

I believe Young can do more with less, but I also think Stroud can do more with more. Currently I believe we have a team and coaches where Stroud would excel behind what Young can do.

Maybe.  Young looks pretty awesome sitting comfortably in the pocket.

The question is, who do you want at QB when Icky or Sanders gets hurt? 

You want a QB who can save your tail in a pinch.  I think both can do this... Young is just better at it.

50 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Maybe.  Young looks pretty awesome sitting comfortably in the pocket.

The question is, who do you want at QB when Icky or Sanders gets hurt? 

You want a QB who can save your tail in a pinch.  I think both can do this... Young is just better at it.

If we pick Young I hope it carries over from College. I just think Stroud is the overall better NFL prospect.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Martin said:

This is the thing with me right the carrying part with Bryce gotta quit it’s Alabama guys not Missouri they retool every year! Bryce young’s wide receivers that where so “bad” still transferred and went to other D1 programs… I’ve seen Bryce young play like garbage and get carried by his defense. Name one Defensive player from Ohio state that’s projected to go in the first 2 rounds ?

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Calboyz13 said:

This is the thing with me right the carrying part with Bryce gotta quit it’s Alabama guys not Missouri they retool every year! Bryce young’s wide receivers that where so “bad” still transferred and went to other D1 programs… I’ve seen Bryce young play like garbage and get carried by his defense. Name one Defensive player from Ohio state that’s projected to go in the first 2 rounds ?

I’d be surprised if TJ Tuimoloau wasn’t a top 10 selection next year. Jessie Eichenburg probably goes in the first next as well. This year maybe Zach Harrison goes round 2 but probably day 2.

Ohio State got plenty of help from the defense in the Penn state and Maryland games for example when Stroud wasn’t really on.

Bamas defense was definitely better, but Ohio states skill positions this year were far better and its clear on the tape and it’ll be clear in the draft. Both these guys were at elite programs but some years they go through dips in development. Bama hasn’t been this bad at receiver in a while, but last year they were fantastic. Ohio States defense hasn’t been as elite as usual lately though for sure. Thimoloau is a certified star who may go top 5 next year really.

3 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

The whole premise of this thread is silly, since any college spread offense, has very few snaps under center. 

He can easily play under center with his football IQ, desire to be the best, and work ethic. 

When you go from no under center to 75% under center (Reich) it’s a concern

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

If his processing was that elite he wouldn’t have duds like he has had. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Varking said:

When you go from no under center to 75% under center (Reich) it’s a concern

Reich's Indy teams were typically near the top of the league in terms of snap percentage from shotgun. The lowest shotgun percentage they ran under Reich was 64%. They were more typically around 75%. 

11 minutes ago, Varking said:

If his processing was that elite he wouldn’t have duds like he has had. 

If who's processing was so elite?

On the topic of Richardson though, how long do you give SunBelt Billy before he's fired? That offensive system... woof!