• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign recently unretired NT John Penisini

TheSpecialJuan

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The reason he is slated to play DT is because the news release from David Newton of SI said, "The 6-foot-3, 300-pound Tuttle, who according to the team website is closer to 315 pounds, likely will play nose tackle for the Panthers, who are transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme."

While it could very well be true, Tuttle is a bit smallish for a NT in a 3-4.  When this was announced, they did not have Penisini.  So even though not all players make the team, you still have to put them in the right place.  I have heard no coach say that Tuttle was a NT, only David Newton, assuming that because we had signed Williams and the weight on the Panther website was listed at 315.  I am not yet convinced that Tuttle is a NT because David Newton read the website--does he not have any more connections than that?  He goes to the website and tells us what it says?

NT in a 4-3 maybe. I also thought Tuttle was a bit light. I like Tuttle as a DE too.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

His PFF score in 2021 was 56 or so--I think we need a NT, so he will have a chance.  I worry that his heart was not in it, which is why he retired at 24.  However, sometimes you need a year to reflect and contemplate.  I would say he has the potential to be a rotational guy at best--

Update--if he was playing injured, that explains it--could be a diamond in the rough.

In DT John Penisini defense he did try playing injured, until the pain playing  became unbearable.

Penisini has the size and a young age, now the Panthers will have to wait and see how he plays being injury free.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Does this suggest that Tuttle will not play Nose tackle for the Panthers?  I mean, on the roster we have Penisini, McCall, Roy, and Tuttle slated to play 1 position (NT).  We have Brown, Anderson, and Williams slated to play the 2 DE positions.  Is it possible that the Panthers want to move Tuttle to DE and will let Penisini and McCall (Roy to PS?) handle the NT duties?  I think that is the plan-

Tuttle is too lite to play NT.  That was my contention all along.  Now we don't have to look fro a NT in the draft.

• Pie 1