• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russell Wilson comps

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I see a whole lot of this with people talking about Bryce Young.

And yeah, I get it. That's to be expected.

To be honest though, If he's our pick, I don't want Young to be the next Russell Wilson.

I'd much rather he be a shorter, smaller version of Peyton Manning.

Russell Wilson is a future HOF. If that is Bryce's ceiling, then it would be the best thing to ever happen to the Panthers.

Expecting him to be a smaller version of of a Top 3 quarterback of all time? Does this really make sense to you?

11 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

It’s funny how Lawrence got skewered for a similar rookie season to Manning with far worse coaching/team. Used to be fairly common for a rookie to struggle especially starting on a not so great team. I wouldn’t be worried about a “bad” year, it’s likely to happen.

Yeah, expectations are always high for rookie QBs.  Some times it takes a few years for things to click.

What's hilarious and predictable are posters here that will treat a game or two of poor performance as an eternity.

You can book it that no matter who the Panthers draft #1, after his first bad game as a starter, there will be posters here declaring him a failure and that the coaching staff/GM should be fired.  Lol.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2

To be honest though, If he's our pick, I don't want Young to be the next Russell Wilson.

Russell "The love muscle" Wilson is a punk.  So yeah

what about hurts?

55 minutes ago, Panthers L said:

Russell Wilson is a future HOF. If that is Bryce's ceiling, then it would be the best thing to ever happen to the Panthers.

Expecting him to be a smaller version of of a Top 3 quarterback of all time? Does this really make sense to you?

It makes perfect sense when you factor in that hoping for something isn't the same as expecting it.

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Definitely hope we don’t have to build an all time great defense and most dominant RB in the game in order for him to be successful. I’d rather the offense be able to go through him to be successful. 

I don't think we do.  He was in several shootouts in college.  Think of how Brees mastered that New Orleans' offense.  I could see something like that as a ceiling for Young.  

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

It’s funny how Lawrence got skewered for a similar rookie season to Manning with far worse coaching/team. Used to be fairly common for a rookie to struggle especially starting on a not so great team. I wouldn’t be worried about a “bad” year, it’s likely to happen.

To be fair a lot of folks here have a bad habit of making too much about rookie seasons. Anyone who was actually watching understood what a poo show Jacksonville was. Lawrence wasn’t going to be a massive bust. 

As teams have shown, a lot of these guys getting drafted CAN succeed if you help them and not just ask them to carry your franchise. Invest in a line and a couple playmakers and then things are trending up. Yet there are teams that still miss this when drafting a QB early still. 

• Pie 2

For folks that want a Wilson comp just know that without Pete, Wilson looked like trash and the trash tier backup QB who replaced him went to a pro bowl. 

As far as Brees that would be a good comp but the kids 2 inches shorter and like 20 pounds lighter. 

There is no good comp for him. 

• Pie 2