• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN lays off employees, with more cuts to come

ladypanther

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

He's the same dude that said you should carry a firearm when you go to a club in 2023.  So your mileage may vary with his intellect 

Imagine calling a 19 yr old kid a criminal because he brought his friend the gun he asked for.

Never have you placed blame on the kid who actually committed the murder.smh

Also if you actually read up on the case it seems like the 2 Alabama kids were actually using self defense. But continue to place blame on the innocent kid who made something of his life.

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He's the same dude that said you should carry a firearm when you go to a club in 2023.  So your mileage may vary with his intellect 

Dude the way this country is you probably need to pack heat going to the gas station to fill up. Morant is a dumbass though, no argument there. 

9 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Imagine calling a 19 yr old kid a criminal because he brought his friend the gun he asked for.

Never have you placed blame on the kid who actually committed the murder.smh

Also if you actually read up on the case it seems like the 2 Alabama kids were actually using self defense. But continue to place blame on the innocent kid who made something of his life.

If someone calls you and asks you to bring them a firearm to a shithole bar/club at 2am then you need to find new friends and if you do it then you a DA as well 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

19 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

. This article details the development of ESPN from its founding in 1978, and its history since the channel's launch on September 7, 1979.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_ESPN

The well-liked and well-respected Soltys is an ESPN lifer having worked for ESPN for 98% of the network’s history. ESPN’s founder Bill Rasmussen brought him on board in 1980 as an unpaid intern. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2023/04/24/Media/mike-soltys-espn-layoffs.aspx

A bit of Charlotte history and lore - I believe the Rasmussen dudes and a couple others pitched the idea of 24hr sports network (ESPN) to the guys at Raycom in Alabama and Charlotte and they laughed them off and passed. 

meanwhile, ESPN is ESPN and Raycom Sports is just about finished. 

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

No because if I want to watch the off the court stuff I can turn on CNN. Im here for sports and sports only.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is never going to be "sports and sports only." It's an irrational desire that's only going to lead to frustration and disappointment. Sports aren't some cartoon ostrich that can bury its head in the sand to avoid the same socio-cultural issues that influence it.

Don't get me wrong: I'd love to focus more on the strategy, skill, techniques, etc that are on display. Unfortunately, entertainment sells advertising space better than it does education. Engagement is even more important to marketing, and few things create as much engagement as outrage. 😕

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Truth is, ESPN's old business model is broken. 

The network has been part of most premium cable packages across the nation for decades and subscribers paid for the privilege of having ESPN, whether they watched it or not.  Unfortunately for ESPN, over the last several years cable companies have lost more than 25 percent of their subscribers to internet streaming services.  Consumers are no longer required to subsidize expensive networks like ESPN that they never watch.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, 4Corners said:

If someone calls you and asks you to bring them a firearm to a shithole bar/club at 2am then you need to find new friends and if you do it then you a DA as well 

No I don't want my friend gun in my car. If I get pulled over and a gun is in my car that is trouble for me. No thanks.

What my friend does with his gun is not my problem. You can take the risk and ride around with a gun that's you're not licensed to carry. See how that works out for you.

1 hour ago, Icege said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is never going to be "sports and sports only." It's an irrational desire that's only going to lead to frustration and disappointment. Sports aren't some cartoon ostrich that can bury its head in the sand to avoid the same socio-cultural issues that influence it.

Don't get me wrong: I'd love to focus more on the strategy, skill, techniques, etc that are on display. Unfortunately, entertainment sells advertising space better than it does education. Engagement is even more important to marketing, and few things create as much engagement as outrage. 😕

Thanks for admitting what I already knew.

3 hours ago, 4Corners said:

ESPN, like MTV, are so far gone from their original foundation it’s borderline unwatchable. A lot of people whine about ESPN being “too liberul” or a bunch of “librul agenda” …I vote that way and can’t stand ESPN. If it weren’t for live sports broadcasts like ACC basketball I would never watch the network. It’s just bad programming. 

even the gems of the network like College Gameday, NFL Live, and Sportscenter are garbage now. 

the best show on ESPN is Fantasy Football Now that airs like 2 hours before kickoff on Sundays but since Matthew Berry is gone now it will be interesting to see what happens. 

they moved all of that to ESPN + a couple years ago. major bummer because it pretty much won me my fantasy football ship. ESPN does need to be totally burnt to the ground. get some unknown JOURNALIST in there, see what they can do.

It's hilarious watching Stephen A. Smith wallowing about this. Last year he was "underpaid". Now his "colleagues deserved better than these times". Dude... clowns like you and Skip Bayless created these times. It turns out that idiots screaming at each other over mildly sports related topics had a shelf life.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's hilarious watching Stephen A. Smith wallowing about this. Last year he was "underpaid". Now his "colleagues deserved better than these times". Dude... clowns like you and Skip Bayless created these times. It turns out that idiots screaming at each other over mildly sports related topics had a shelf life.

He made it a race issue the other day.  He is pathetic 

2 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Prior to the age of the internet, ESPN was one of the few ways for sports fans to view game highlights other than evening news broadcasts.  All things considered, it is amazing that ESPN has endured as long as it has.

Spot on. I personally haven't watched ESPN since last year 

• Beer 1