• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't think we're picking at 39...

Bear Hands

I feel like this team has decent starters at all positions with maybe exception of another edge rusher with Burns injury. Anybody picked in rounds 2 is expected to start or strongly compete right away. My feeling is that we trade down and recoup picks, this draft has been labeled as not the strongest but their are depth guys in the later rounds. I'm in favor of moving back. 

13 minutes ago, joemac said:

I wonder if we could package 39 this year and something in the future to move up into the bottom of the 1st and take another offensive weapon?

Who is this transcendental skill guy this year?  Worthy of a expensive trade up. The trade partners at the bottom of the first are also likely to covet the guys. Bengals adding a Zay Flowers or Washington could break the NFL. Saints need a offensive overhaul too. They already off the board cause a interdivisional trade is unlikely. Looking at the teams picking between 13 down to 31.  The teams that have two 1st rounders are happy to have those two and will likely use them instead of moving down into the 2nd. 17 to 26 seem like the sweet spot for your fantasy but this group needs offensive playmakers too 

I just don't see the value or the likelihood of a trade up. 

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Could always draft Washington and convert him. He's got the size. 😁

haha, he's a beheamoth.  But won't lie, I was really surprised at how closely Schoonmaker and Kuntz tested to him. Schoon has some injury concerns though.  Darnell is an absolute tank but needs some polishing.  Is more of a project than is let on.  

My personal faves:

Tucker Kraft is a monster to try and take down.  I've grown quite fond of in late R2 if we wheel and deal. He's just an animal once the ball is in his hands, no CB wants to come near him.  

And then there's LaPorta who can just do it all and then some, Pete Schraeger was reporting he's TE2 for some teams and could go R1.  Love this TE class.  

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

Who is this transcendental skill guy this year?  Worthy of a expensive trade up. The trade partners at the bottom of the first are also likely to covet the guys. Bengals adding a Zay Flowers or Washington could break the NFL. Saints need a offensive overhaul too. They already off the board cause a interdivisional trade is unlikely. Looking at the teams picking between 13 down to 31.  The teams that have two 1st rounders are happy to have those two and will likely use them instead of moving down into the 2nd. 17 to 26 seem like the sweet spot for your fantasy but this group needs offensive playmakers too 

I just don't see the value or the likelihood of a trade up. 

Jordan Addison?  Michael Mayer? JSN? Gibbs?  There are plenty of guys worth it IMO.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

A good GM with no winning seasons? I see  your optimism but it doesn't work like that my friend, and thats not even including the fact that the draft picks and trades havent been exactly "knock out the park" esq either. Sure, now maybe there is progression, but the results on field count the most and it would be delusion to think he doesn't start getting heat if this season isnt a big turnaround.

Yeah, I truly don’t get the Fitt love (yet). Another thread had so much love for Fitt’s wheeling and dealing so trade down from 39. In the 2021 draft, we traded down a ton and missed a bunch of really solid OL. We made 11 picks and got Horn at 8 and 10 easily replaceable players. 1 solid starter who has ended two seasons on the sideline and no other players who make our team better. 2022 draft was Iky at 6 and maybe some potential but likely no one not easily replaced and we threw away a lot of picks on pretty crappy players.

When people throw out great GM, there’s really no substance there. Getting a good starter with top 6-8 picks should be a given.

Bryce Young better be a stud and as a fan I want nothing less because if he’s mediocre, Fitterer will have been a disaster. I don’t want Fitterer to be a disaster even if I don’t think he’s been that good yet. If he’s a disaster that means us fans will have to live through a decade of poo. We are already 5 years into poo.

• Pie 1

Kincaid & JSN are the obvious 2 that will be gone that we shouldn't even bother wishing for in a trade up.  JSN is the clear cut WR1 and Kincaid is arguably the best pure receiving threat in the draft (TE and WRs combined)

After those two though, it's anyone's guess..

For me, Addison is the only one after them that has the worthiness as a prospect to trade up for.

This may be unpopular, but I just don't see some astronomical difference between Zay Flowers and Josh Downs or even Tank Dell. 

Addison at his best is an absolute game changer, can play slot, outside, is very Diggs-esque with a smoothness and just enough speed to break huge 50+ yard plays consistently.  Can catch every type of ball with ease.  

He had a strange senior year (which I believe is more due to Caleb William's shortcomings that will be microscoped later this year) but he was an absolute madman for Pickett in 2021 and looked like he was cruising to that G Wilson/OBJ sure-thing type pick.  He's the one that if we somehow land, that would be something to get excited about. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Jordan Addison?  Michael Mayer? JSN? Gibbs?  There are plenty of guys worth it IMO.

See that might be the disconnect I think Gibbs could be there at 39. Mayer won't but a value comparable player at the same position will. I like Addison and Zay as my top WR's, something bugs me bout JSN.  He is a hell of a slot guy, but I think Adam is our guy in the slot. Agree to disagree but defense is way deeper. IMO. 

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, joemac said:

Only way I could see Fitts seat getting hot is if Young completely shits the bed like Johnny Manziel in the NFL, which I don't see happening.  Other than that hes been a pretty great GM.  Especially with the stank of Matt Rhule washed off of him. 

Pretty true comment.  I'd say that if this happens there will also be plenty of other people with warm posteriors as well.  Probably not as hot as Fitts but there could be some awkward elevator rides.

• Pie 1

Now them bringing in JSN, Darnell Washington and Joey Porter Jr. makes sense. They are looking at high quality talent that may slip and are ready to pounce. If they can move up to get some really blue chip talent I will be elated. Even if we move down and fill more holes then day 3 wont be as much of a bummer to see a lot of potential scooped up and us hoping for a gem to fall to UDFA.

I would not be surprised. I ran a mock draft where they can offer you trades with each pick. I must have traded back 6 times accumulating multiple 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths over the next two years. 

If he wants to he can completely load us up next year to allow us to trade back up into round 1 if someone falls. We still have our 2nd next season, if we can get a future 2nd or even multiple thirds we have the ammo to make the moves. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I would not be surprised. I ran a mock draft where they can offer you trades with each pick. I must have traded back 6 times accumulating multiple 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths over the next two years. 

If he wants to he can completely load us up next year to allow us to trade back up into round 1 if someone falls. We still have our 2nd next season, if we can get a future 2nd or even multiple thirds we have the ammo to make the moves. 

I've noticed the same thing.  If we play our cards right, we could load up by getting a later 2nd, higher 3rd, and a 2024 3rd (or maybe even 2nd)

Could land just as valuable talent as we would get at 39.  

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

I've noticed the same thing.  If we play our cards right, we could load up by getting a later 2nd, higher 3rd, and a 2024 3rd (or maybe even 2nd)

Could land just as valuable talent as we would get at 39.  

39 is an awkward spot in this draft.  I think it is right about where the the seam is between the likely day one starters and higher-ceiling guys that need work.  That seam exists in every draft, just our luck we have found it this year with our second round pick.  Moving up or down from that position seems like a good play this year.  Otherwise, like you said, we might wind up with little more value than we would have had moving down a bit, not to mention whatever else we would get for moving down.