• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 - The Carolina Panthers Select DJ Johnson - EDGE - Oregon

rodeo

1 minute ago, Beast_3000 said:

A better defensive end/ edge (Byron Young) went to the Rams 2 to 3 picks before us. It’s possible our front office wanted Young and had to settle for Johnson. Trade ups take time to be approved. Every analyst and expert questioned this pick. If you honestly watch his highlights you can clearly see he is a project. Questioning the pick is very realistic. He has good measurables so I hope most of the experts are incorrect but there were better picks available. Plus we lost our 4th for this young man while having holes on the roster. I have no idea why you don’t see that as a problem. 

I don't have an issue because it's a third round pick and gave up a 4th. 

Who cares if it's a reach, or boom or bust. It's the third round.. average hit rate is 35%. Not likely to get a starter there at 80 or 93... so they got someone the DC wanted. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, WestPanthers said:

Hope the kid works out and worth for the traded up. Otherwise just like another Rasheen Gaulden picked....

One positive for me is Gaulden was a basement level athlete, at least now the picks we question have elite athletic traits.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

I watched quite a few Oregon games over the past couple of years because a coworkers son plays for the Ducks (not a starter, but maybe this season). 

I saw Johnson play TE in 2020 and 2021.  He didn't play many games, but when he did play he was really utilized as another blocker and he road graded defensive players.  He also had a couple of games where he was used in the red zone and showed his speed, good hands, and decent route running.  I think he had 4 or 5 TDs.

Last year he played LB and his speed and strength showed up even though he didn't put up huge sack numbers.  It's sort of like Burns and Reddick....I think he'll develop into an outside rusher who can really pressure the QB fast.  I hope he doesn't over pursue like Burns does at times.  I think the Panthers are trying to recreate what they had with Burns and Reddick.

Also, I think Johnson played for two different coaches and staff and showed versatility and a willingness to do what was best for the team.  I am sure Evero had a hand in this pick, this isn't just a random pick.  The Panthers staff see something they like about him and I'll trust Evero, Fitt, and Morgan on this.

The guy is kind of freakish - he got to Bennett when they played Georgia and had him on the run and stepping up in the pocket a lot.  Also saw him drop back in coverage and cover TEs.

Give him a chance, that's all you can do. 

He is a freak.

6’4  

260lbs

Dude runs a 4.49 40. 

Honestly, very little if anything will matter from this draft in 3 years time other than if Bryce Young is a franchise QB.

I don't know enough about any of these prospects outside the top guys to know.  I seriously doubt hardly anyone else on here does either.

I don't hate the pick, because if you've found a good rotational player outside the top 2 rounds, it's a good draft pick.

That being said, you would hope the coaching staff has conviction he can contribute at least some this year to pick him where they did

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

we weren't going to find anyone at the bottom of the 3rd round to step in and be a starter, so free agents are kind of irrelevant to this pick. if we want a new Edge starter we'll sign Clowney or whoever, and this pick doesn't change that.

• Beer 3

Carolina Panthers: D.J. Johnson, DE, Oregon - C+ Grade  
Carolina's pass rush was weaker last year because it lost Haason Reddick. D.J. Johnson could help in that regard. He's a raw player, but has very explosive ability. I love the upside, but I don't see why the Panthers needed to trade up for him. He easily could have been available in 13 selections. 

We did have a private meeting with him.  It just wasn’t publicized.  

CAR.gif Carolina Panthers
  • Steve Avila, Center, TCU (PRI)
  • Anthony Bradford^, Offensive Guard, LSU (COM, PRI)
  • Julius Brents^, Cornerback, Kansas State (COM, PRI)
  • Derius Davis, Wide Receiver, TCU (PRI)
  • Zach Evans, Running Back, Ole Miss (PRI)
  • Derick Hall, Outside Linebacker, Auburn (VIR)
  • D.J. Johnson, Outside Linebacker, Oregon (PRI)
  • Charlie Jones, Wide Receiver, Purdue (PRI)
  • Sam LaPorta, Tight End, Iowa (PRI)
  • Eke Leota, Outside Linebacker, Auburn (PRI)
  • Will Levis^, Quarterback, Kentucky (PRI, PRO)
  • Kendre Miller, Running Back, TCU (PRI)
  • Jonathan Mingo, Wide Receiver, Ole Miss (PRI)
  • B.J. Ojulari, Defensive End, LSU (PRI)
  • Bumper Pool, Linebacker, Arkansas (PRI)
  • Joey Porter Jr., Cornerback, Penn State (PRI)
  • Anthony Richardson^, Quarterback, Florida (COM, PRI, PRO)
  • Nick Saldiveri, Offensive Tackle, Old Dominion (LOC)
  • Drew Sanders, Linebacker, Arkansas (COM)
  • Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Wide Receiver, Ohio State (PRI)
  • C.J. Stroud^, Quarterback, Ohio State (PRI, PRO)
  • Darnell Washington, Tight End, Georgia (PRI)
  • Bryce Young^, Quarterback, Alabama (PRI, PRO)
  • Byron Young, Defensive End, Tennessee (PRI)
  • Chandler Zavala, Offensive Guard, N.C. State (PRI