• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Kaye explains DJ Johnson pick

TheSpecialJuan

13 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

we gave up a 4rth as well.  Reach or not he is expensive from a draft capital standpoint

I think we can all agree Reach. I think we can all agree expensive. But this isn’t a sky is falling. We weren’t getting Greg Olsen at pick 132. It wasn’t reckless and this isn’t Edmund Kugbila

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

They guy has 0 pass rush moves with his hands. Biggest red flag, but he only played rush LB for a year. I destroyed the pick for 10 mins on here and Twitter, but I’m over it. I get why the pick was made and my initial reaction was short sighted and microwaved 

The more I watch some videos (not going to call it tape) of Johnson, the more I think he may start out as an OLB. 

He has the speed and strength to cover both inside and outside zone runs, plus after playing TE he should be able to cover TEs pretty well (and he did in college, but NFL TEs are a different story).

I think if he lines up as a DE next year he will be standing (a la Burns and Reddick) and not using a 3-pt stance (like in the previous video)  They used him in stunts a lot last year at Oregon and I can see Evero wanting to do the same with the OLB coming down to cover any outside zone runs/screens.

He also needs to use his leverage better when he engages a tackle, seen him rush too straight up to ever get around a tackle/guard he is engaged with...they call it "getting stood up" for a reason.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Paper is flimsy.

So are early draft grades.

Talk to me about how it looks on the field.

(we should have a better idea about that in 2-3 years)

There's no need to insist on ignorance in this situation. On the field it's going to look like we don't have a fourth-round pick that we would've had if we hadn't decided that we had to move up to get this guy. Plenty of publicly-available estimates exist that can tell you the value of a fourth round pick. We know what we lost immediately.

The only thing we don't know is whether this dude would've been there when we picked next. As it stands now, there remain several free agent EDGE guys, and an unknown number of dudes will get cut as camp progresses, and an even greater unknown could be available for trade for, say, a third- and fourth-round pick. We also know who was still on the board at our actual pick, and "big edge who tested well" describes Dylan Horton, Ade Adebawore, Isaiah McGuire...

It also reeks of the Seahawks' normal process from the past several years, which was to "get their guy" no matter what anybody else thought of them. It didn't work well for them, and they finally fixed it, but it looks like we're not going to do the same.

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1651930498350960640

49 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Kinda doubt they care that much about fan opinion.

I've seen too many people rant about picks who turned out great or rave about picks that were massive busts to put too much stock or emotion into early draft evaluations.

(especially in the lower rounds)

I mean, the NFL is a big ego world full of people that get butt hurt pretty easily by the masses.   But yeah, no one cares when they get called idiots and are criticized as doing dumb stuff. 

and it was just a simple statement.  I didn’t even say fans.  Was more alluding the the big picture.  Fans, media and their own colleagues.   So yeah, I suspect they would prefer to be praised than bashed for their decisions.  That’s just a people thing. 

and it always gets weird where people act like football folks are mega geniuses that shouldn’t dare questioned by mere mortals…...  I mean, how could they ever do something dumb.   NFL is full of dumb people just like every other inch of society.  

21 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

I think we can all agree Reach. I think we can all agree expensive. But this isn’t a sky is falling. We weren’t getting Greg Olsen at pick 132. It wasn’t reckless and this isn’t Edmund Kugbila

"These picks don't matter anyway" is how you slowly, invisibly lower you chances of winning until you take yourself out of contention completely. We're short a third from the Corral trade and a fourth from the DJ Johnson trade, when according to the front office, a third and a fourth is the price for a guy who's so good that you just have to jump up and take him. A guy like DJ Johnson or Matt Corral!

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

then bite the bullet and go a different direction, look at the draft board there was a poo load of talent left that were other positions.  We got desperate and it bit us in the ass

The Panthers put their draft board out in the open for the public to see? That's not very smart of them.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I like the bryce pick, hes the best qb we have had in half a decade

I love the mingo pick for numerous reasons

I despise the DJ pick for numerous reasons

You’re spitting bro thank you for having common sense, regardless of how this pick turns out it looks stupid. It’s a horrible bet, a literal 25 yearold rookie this dude is the same fuging age as Burns. More importantly we didn’t need to trade up for this dude, I’ve never seen this dude mentioned before the 5th. The draft is always a gamble, but you can always increase your odds by going for younger more proven production players.  This guy is a red flag, watched his YouTube channel and I personally do not see this guy as a good lockeroom fit.