• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Kaye explains DJ Johnson pick

TheSpecialJuan

14 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Id much rather take a risk that benefits the offense, than doing it for defense like we have been just about every year of our existence. It never got us any championships or back to back winning seasons. Its time to favor offense now.

Right. Keep in mind there are still good free agent EDGE options available 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 5

18 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

So it was probably BJ vs Mingo. Tough call but we were one pick away from getting Byron Young in that trade up which would have been much better received. Evero wanted an edge setter so that's never going to be exciting to fans

This ^^ they got caught thinking Young would fall to them.. And panicked when he went early..

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Id much rather take a risk that benefits the offense, than doing it for defense like we have been just about every year of our existence. It never got us any championships or back to back winning seasons. Its time to favor offense now.

I think they went pretty far down that offensive road to risk with the business Thursday.

• Pie 1

I am fine that we went WR. It’s more Important to surround Bryce Young with weapons and allow him to have early success, even if we have a weakness elsewhere. 

That said, I don’t think they should have traded up because Johnson would have been there at 93. They panicked when Byron Young was taken by the Rams at 77. They probably wish they traded up to get him instead before the Rams did

not one of Scott’s finer moments

• Pie 3

80. Carolina Panthers: D.J. Johnson, Edge, Oregon

This could qualify as a reach for the Panthers, who traded up for Johnson. The No. 21-ranked edge rusher graded as a fifth-rounder by Brugler, Johnson (6-4, 260) was an elite performer at the combine. He ran a 4.49 40 and his wingspan measured 80 inches.

At Oregon, Johnson played outside linebacker and tight end until the 2022 season when had six sacks. He had 39 tackles last year as an honorable mention selection. He’s athletic but unrefined. It’s a reach at this point of the draft.

Grade: D+

• Flames 2

This just feels like the Panthers special where we get a defensive dude and they just end up derping around never to see the field. It just feels like we may only get a year or two at most of his rookie contract where he's ready to even contribute as a depth player, he's that raw. Once he's ready for a new deal he will be 29 and possibly lost some juice. I really hope I'm wrong, but the fact he has all this talent and wasn't able to put it together and have any production in the Pac 12 isn't really reassuring. Either way we'll all be rooting for him. 

• Pie 1