• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who are your top 5 Panthers players of all time based on talent?

CamWhoaaCam

3 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I have him 3rd on my list bro...

Confused GIFs | Tenor

Apologies my friend, my dyslexic ass read it fast and thought it said Luke was not a freak athlete. 

I'd also probably have Stewart somewhere on the list too because he literally checked every criteria or size, speed, skill and production when on the field. 

2 minutes ago, panther252 said:

Apologies my friend, my dyslexic ass read it fast and thought it said Luke was not a freak athlete. 

I'd also probably have Stewart somewhere on the list too because he literally checked every criteria or size, speed, skill and production when on the field. 

I would have liked to see have seen what his numbers could have been if he was the #1 three down back as a rookie. He’s the perfect RB in his prime. 

Deangelo Williams was also a tremendous talent. To this day he’s the closest thing I’ve seen to Barry Sanders playing style. He just lacked the extra gear. 

But Stew was a power and speed back put together. 

26 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

I would have liked to see have seen what his numbers could have been if he was the #1 three down back as a rookie. He’s the perfect RB in his prime. 

Deangelo Williams was also a tremendous talent. To this day he’s the closest thing I’ve seen to Barry Sanders playing style. He just lacked the extra gear. 

It's crazy we had Stew/Dwill/Cam all in 1 backfield. Sheesh!

Physical talent....Peppers, Kuechly, Newton, Stewart, Thomas Davis or Jenkins?

Smith said he was not as talented as other receivers and that made him work to do things in a different way to get results.

23 minutes ago, csx said:

Physical talent....Peppers, Kuechly, Newton, Stewart, Thomas Davis or Jenkins?

Smith said he was not as talented as other receivers and that made him work to do things in a different way to get results.

Smitty was easily one of the most physical WR's to ever play the game. That's what made him freakish. He had a RB body with WR skills.

3 hours ago, CRA said:

THE Armanti Edwards was more talented than Delhomme.  Heck, you might could make a case he was one of the more talented athletes in Carolina. 

having crazy talent doesn’t = being a good or great NFL player.  

The GOAT is Tom Brady and he wasn’t blessed with crazy physical NFL talent. Brady

had a high IQ, studied, focused on his strengths, focused/driven, leadership, intangibles, etc.  

So how exactly do we define talent in this scenario? Brady, for example, could throw it very far and thread a needle with a pass. But he was slow. Cam was fast and powerful but not as accurate as Brady. Speed is nice and all, but Barry Sanders was about the juke not the speed. A WR who can jump high but can't catch is worthless, but I bet there are dozens and dozens of guys who could catch anything thrown their way but were slow and didn't start. So how do we judge "talent"? Stats? Freakish size? Lord of high school and college ball? Natural god given ability? Maybe it's ... checking off every single box in every possible category for your position? But even then, "Cam wasn't accurate", etc. And come on ... Armanti Edwards did nothing in the NFL. His talent vanished.

So what exactly is "talent"?

In no particular order, I think:

1. CMC (could run, catch, pass lol, made people miss, and played smart)

2. Luke (was all over the damn field, intelligence off the charts)

3. Cam (could run, pass, very physical, tons of responsibility on his shoulders)

4. Smitty (could catch, jump, was quick, fast, route god, and could make people miss)

5. Peppers (fast, quick, powerful, no quit in him, blew through Olinemen)

1 hour ago, OneBadCat said:

People sleep on Deangelo cause of personal reasons.. the man was nice. Might have had some resentment with us but went to the Steelers and got an opportunity and started ballin again.. his game could have been something else even with a talent like Stew behind him sharing the carries.

2 minutes ago, CLG said:

People sleep on Deangelo cause of personal reasons.. the man was nice. Might have had some resentment with us but went to the Steelers and got an opportunity and started ballin again.. his game could have been something else even with a talent like Stew behind him sharing the carries.

Stephen Davis never gets any love on this sub. He was pretty damn good as well.