• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potential $1.2B Panthers stadium renovation discussion

Lame Duck

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Is Charlotte big enough to host a SB?

I mean they have hosted allstar games but the SB is a different beast...

From what (little) I understand, there are a few factors:

• Hotel accommodations 
  • Transportation
  • Fan support

I'd imagine a local government with experience in hosting large scale events is also desirable.

I could even see Mint St hosting a lot of the activities

Would be nice. Who knows. The draft is a bucket list item for me and being in Charlotte would make the trip a whole lot cheaper!

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Icege said:

• Hotel accommodations 
  • Transportation
  • Fan support

I'd imagine a local government with experience in hosting large scale events is also desirable.

Would be nice. Who knows. The draft is a bucket list item for me and being in Charlotte would make the trip a whole lot cheaper!

Fan support is not really an issue. Fans travel from all over the country for the SB. I think the problem will be hotel accommodations.

I don't think Charlotte has enough upscale hotels for the higher profile people that would come to Charlotte. I could be wrong though not sure how that would work.

Maybe by 2026 they will have built a lot more upscale hotels.

8 hours ago, Icege said:

• Hotel accommodations 
  • Transportation
  • Fan support

7 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Fan support is not really an issue. Fans travel from all over the country for the SB. I think the problem will be hotel accommodations.

I don't think Charlotte has enough upscale hotels for the higher profile people that would come to Charlotte. I could be wrong though not sure how that would work.

Maybe by 2026 they will have built a lot more upscale hotels.

Charlotte officially hit the hotel cap needed to host a Super Bowl/draft about two years ago. That’s why they are now able to put their names in the hat for those events.

I believe the stadium renovations are the last step. NFL likes hosting the Super Bowl in newer stadiums this decade. Our city administration has a “tourist” budget that has been put toward hosting events like the NBA All Star game, NFL draft and eventually the Super Bowl. 

the only remaining factor is the weather….

• Pie 4

31 minutes ago, rayzor said:

so if we're close, i wonder if retractable roof is in the works...

since the renovations are in the 1.2 billion range... I would not be surprised... or at least that new 3/4 roof concept that we are seeing across all sports stadium concepts. 

However, I'd love for Tepper to roll out this concept: 

This would allow real grass for both soccer and football. Then also allow concerts and events at the stadium without sacrificing the field.  This is getting really popular at the international soccer level, and I believe the Raiders do this with their new field.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 5

48 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

since the renovations are in the 1.2 billion range... I would not be surprised... or at least that new 3/4 roof concept that we are seeing across all sports stadium concepts. 

This would allow real grass for both soccer and football. Then also allow concerts and events at the stadium without sacrificing the field.  This is getting really popular at the international soccer level, and I believe the Raiders do this with their new field.

that would be nice and ideal and would open up for a lot of different kinds of events. 

• Beer 1

New Bills' stadium is $1.2B, Vegas' was $1.9B and the rumored Soldier Field renovation is at $2.2B. 

If we're getting a new stadium, I'm guessing it will approach $3B.

I'd prefer a new stadium, but if we can renovate our stadium to offer a bit more shielding from the elements (sun/rain), have a natural field option and modernize the look, I'm for it. It is hard to swallow the cost when you have one of the richest owners in the league asking for money....especially after two failed projects in Charlotte.

The dynamic of taxpayers assisting in the cost, yet the Owners reap all the profits is baffling. Unless I'm missing something and the city/county/state does get ROI. 

3 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

That's amazing, but what is that a 4B dollar cost, that's insane

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Economic studies have shown that public spending on stadium projects is a terrible "investments" and essentially amounts to a handout to billionaires. Something feels extremely grifty about the numbers involved too. Jerryworld cost $1.4B to build in '04 and was considered wildly extravagant at the time. The Falcons' new stadium cost $1.6B. You're telling me you need $1.2B just to RENOVATE our current stadium? I call BULLSHIT.

Agreed but I’ll bet half that money goes towards the practice facility. 

If they’re going to spend “real money” on a remodel it needs to be a dome. 

Just now, jbland said:

Agreed but I’ll bet half that money goes towards the practice facility. 

If they’re going to spend “real money” on a remodel it needs to be a dome. 

I bet they will put a roof over Panthers stadium for that money.