• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers WR group "Under Construction"

NAS

6 hours ago, DennisM1 said:

Could use a true WR1 imo or a strong TE1 like what the Ravens have in Andrew especially with Bryce on a rookie contact now is the time to surround him with expensive weapons not later 

I'd argue the time to do that is when he hits his stride not before.

On 5/19/2023 at 1:09 PM, kungfoodude said:

I am a little skeptical of the group overall. High potential but also decent probability that it just doesn't work out for one or more of them.

But, I am gonna trust this coaching staff until they show me any reason not to.

It's been a long time since we had a WR corps that anyone was threatened by.

I feel like we desperately need D Hops

I think the WR room is just fine. All the boxes are checked - just not all in one guy. It'll be up to the coaches to figure out their strengths and the best way to use them. Bigger concern is the TE room. If Hurst brings a consistent pass catcher there, then Bryce, Thomas and Reich will have everything they need to be successful. 

• Pie 2

21 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Someone not mentioned in the passing game has been Miles Sanders.  He caught a lot of passes out of the backfield in his rookie season.  He might not be CMC but he can definitely contribute adding another dimension and safety valve for our young QB. Also, it is one more thing for the opposing D's to have to worry about. The Panther offense needs to move the chains and not keep their D on the field as much as in the past few seasons.

Came in to post this.

Miles is a very good back, and should be a joy to watch in the screen game, which I love.  

If Thielen can stay healthy, I think we are in for a fun offense, and Hurst could pop...wouldn't shock me.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

On 5/19/2023 at 12:23 PM, MHS831 said:

POTENTIALLY---I think the WR room has never been better.  I saw signs from Marshall last year that told me he was ready to turn the corner--and Shenault should have broken out last year but the coaches thought he was to be the designated screen WR...So, if all factions step up as I realistically expect, we can say we have never been as deep or as good--even when we had Smith, Moose, and Proehl---I think this group could be very special.

A QB who gets you the ball on time and in stride makes you better--Cam rarely threw after planting his drop foot--when the pass is supposed to be thrown--maybe the WRs were not open, maybe he was not reading the defense quickly--or maybe both were at play.  Secondly, Cam's accuracy was not elite by any means. He used his arm strength to atone for his late delivery, and the increased velocity created a ball that was tougher to catch and not on target. That leads to more dropped passes, fewer Yards after the catch--Cam as a passer was not top 10 ever--as an overall force at QB--he was.  So now we have that passer who reads quickly, throws an easier ball to catch, and gets the ball out on time. 

Some will be angry at this, but watch the tape and look at the number of completions and drops.  Watch film where he does not throw after planting the back foot. 

Another point--Cam was not a good screen passer for some reason.  That is a play that protects the QB because it keeps the pass rush honest.  Young is good at that--so I expect to see improved WR play based on QB alone. 

In fairness to Cam, Bryce is not going to bulldoze LBs and scamper for 50 yards on third and 32. 

Somehow how, we have drafted two QB's no. 1 overall in our brief history.

Both of them from the SEC.  Both of them Heisman winners.  Both won college National Championships.

And somehow, their games couldn't be any further from each other.  Was discussing this on draft night.

23 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Someone not mentioned in the passing game has been Miles Sanders.  He caught a lot of passes out of the backfield in his rookie season.  He might not be CMC but he can definitely contribute adding another dimension and safety valve for our young QB. Also, it is one more thing for the opposing D's to have to worry about. The Panther offense needs to move the chains and not keep their D on the field as much as in the past few seasons.

As long as he surpasses CMC in availability, that will overshadow the differences in other ability that he doesn't. Sanders is really good at pass blocking, catching out of the backfield, and reading blocks. Unlike CMC, he was the starting RB on a NFC Championship team. The one thing that CMC really has over him is that he can line up in the slot and beat CBs which isn't needed with a good WR group. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, NorthTryon said:

As long as he surpasses CMC in availability, that will overshadow the differences in other ability that he doesn't. Sanders is really good at pass blocking, catching out of the backfield, and reading blocks. Unlike CMC, he was the starting RB on a NFC Championship team. The one thing that CMC really has over him is that he can line up in the slot and beat CBs which isn't needed with a good WR group. 

CMC is one of the best route runners in the league.  But I think he was relied on too heavily and having Sanders as "one of the pieces" instead of being the main guy will suit this offense better and Bryce Young as a QB

• Pie 2

36 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I am hoping one of these guys comes out with that "It's my ball" mentality.  We need someone who Young can take a risk with and know that WR is going to fight for the ball.  That was one of my favorite things about Moore.  He fought for the ball.  Obviously, we were spoiled with the greatest fighter ever in S. Smith.

Bingo-Mingo.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1