• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At this point in time, who feels like we lost this trade?

They opted to not take Carter and instead took the fourth best tackle in the draft and one that’s purely an RT. I think we pick pretty late next year and could absolutely see Dj doing 2 and out in Chicago. I just don’t see how any Bears fan feels they fleeced us.

Honestly won’t know until 2025. I know it’s not popular, but waiting three years will be the tell all. History reflects the third year is judgment day.

If the Panthers are not in the deep playoffs by then Tepper needs to clean house and hire some advisors ASAP. And quite frankly that’d be eight years of failure and personally, I won’t be watching every game anymore as I suspect many here won’t either. When you get towards a decade of ineptitude, it’s nearly impossible to recover.

That said, I think at that time when Carr is on the backend, it’ll be the Falcons or Panthers to take the lead and the Panthers absolutely have to be ahead. Time will tell.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

I think there are actually two questions tied in with this:

1. Did we win this trade, and

2. Did we make the right pick?

The first one is an absolute yes.  We won the trade (although I think Chicago did as well.)  We had to assure a position to get our QB.  We not only got to a point that we could get one of the top QBs, we got to the spot where we could get our choice of any of them.  And we did this at roughly the same cost as moving up to get one of the leftovers. 

We made this trade with the idea that we would need to fill a hole created in the loss of DJ Moore.  As of now, I like our WR room better than last year.  We don't have a WR equal to Moore, but close enough plus we upgraded all around including pass-catching TE.  (So it was a trade of "Moore for more.")

We sacrificed future draft picks, but we were doing that anyway and unsuccessfully with our Darnold/Baker/Corral efforts.

So, yes, we won the trade.  But we have to wait to see if we made the right pick with it.

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I mean, look at what we gave up compared to what D. Watson was going to cost us.  We get a perverted QB with Salary Cap Issues out the arse and they get multiple first rounders. 

This is how you do it.

Crazy to think about that Watson who is super flawed, costed a mega deal, and is older costed just about the same as Bryce. Imagine that trigger had been pulled.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, shaq said:

Almost nothing has changed since draft day, heck you could make the argument that nothing changed since the day we made the trade. We have no idea what the value of the picks we sent or the players already selected are. We simply have nothing else to discuss until we see a large sample size of all the assets at large. I will say from a trade value chart the picks and assets we gave up was a good bet and I personally feel great about Bryce Young and think the world of him. But that is simply my opinion and we just don’t know currently.

That's about it. I don't know if we won or lost the trade, but at this point I can say that Young is a different cat, and super compelling as a QB prospect. I suspect that he could be generational in every aspect of the word. I mean, dude caught an incorrect play on the play script as a rookie QB during his first few practices. What other young guy would've done that? The list is super short, I assure you. 

12 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Very true but honestly if I’m GM right now for the Panthers, I still take that chance 10/10 if you believe Young will be a franchise QB. We can easily survive missing Moore, next years first and 2025 2nd with all the cap we will have starting next year. 

Thanks for bringing the cap space up. It's one of the first things that I thought about. I'm close to 100 percent sure that it was taken into account before we made the trade.

I didn't get but so far in the thread, but another part of the calculus I'm sure was the presence of Matt Corral. Between him, the relatively massive cap space (relatively now), and the penchant for Fitterer to be able to manipulate and master the curves and twists of the draft---or at least the belief that he can---were all taken into account when deciding to trade. I believe that all these things, as well as Bryce Young himself made the reward well worth the risk. We will win, or even if we lose, the risk factors will be mitigated. But, I love the position that we're in. 

On an off note, I probably wouldn't feel as secure or as good had we drafted anyone else but Young. I always said that if we traded up to one it would be for him, and I said it for a reason.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

As for our receiving corps, I think that was more of a bigger question mark. We were taking a real chance (mainly on TMJ). We didn't know if we'd be able to secure Thielen or Chark. It seemed like Chark waited forever to make up his mind. It took Thielen a couple of minutes also. But it's obvious that Mingo must have been on their minds as well. It just turns out that we were able to provide Young with some pretty apt pass catchers, including Hurst who was somewhat of a surprise, but perhaps not as big of a surprise as Boobie (who was arguably the best free agent RB this off-season).

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

For quite awhile it looked like the Chargers won that Eli trade with the Giants.

LOL. No. Even the Chargers wanted Eli.  As for DJ, he was less than middle of the pack when you have Darnold throwing him the ball.  It would have been nice to see him get to catch passes from Bryce but that was an impossible Catch 22 situation.

14 hours ago, csx said:

We ended up with an upgraded wide receiver group. Losing DJ doesn't concern me at all. It comes down to whether Young is good enough to forget about the draft picks 

I think that overall our WR room did get better, even with losing a DJ Moore. We have much more depth and are more well rounded from top to bottom. Plus we got Bryce freaking Young out of the deal. Huge win