• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young Scouted Frank Reich pre-draft

rayzor

I tend to be very pragmatic and cautious with my predictions for our record each year. 

If Young can stay healthy and play halfway decently I see no reason we can't win 10 games this season and at least make the playoffs as a wildcard team. The completely overhauled offensive skill groups, our New offensive brain trust, our new DC with the talent already on the roster, there's no reason we shouldn't make the playoffs. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 4

12 minutes ago, rayzor said:

yeah, college is easier than pros, but which QBs coming out of college, even among successful ones, have had this kind of reputation?

Not many.  Luck and Burrow were two of the best processors coming out of school among QBs drafted in the 2010s IMO and I'd say Young is right up there with them in that regard (obv Luck was the best prospect).

I was a big Mac Jones fan too for that reason, very accurate (at least at Bama) and very fast going through reads.  I still think people are writing him off far too soon.  But I know I'm in the minority that feels that way.  I feel like the Patriots have failed him both with the talent they have put around him and the offensive coaches.  His OC last year was Matt Patricia of all people.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Just now, Mage said:

Not many.  Luck and Burrow were two of the best processors coming out of school among QBs drafted in the 2010s IMO and I'd say Young is right up there with them in that regard (obv Luck was the best prospect).

I was a big Mac Jones fan too for that reason.  I still think people are writing him off far too soon.  But I know I'm in the minority that feels that way.  I feel like the Patriots have failed him both with the talent they have put around him and the offensive coaches.  His OC last year was Matt Patricia of all people.

agreed with all of that. 

I'm not a huge Mac Jones fan. I think the guy is a bit of a putz, but aside from that he is smart but was put in a really crappy situation with Belichek and the pats. Best thing would have been for him to get traded somewhere else. Second best thing that could have happened for him did happen... the pats got a good OC for him (Bill O'Brien).

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, rayzor said:

agreed with all of that. 

I'm not a huge Mac Jones fan. I think the guy is a bit of a putz, but aside from that he is smart but was put in a really crappy situation with Belichek and the pats. Best thing would have been for him to get traded somewhere else. Second best thing that could have happened for him did happen... the pats got a good OC for him (Bill O'Brien).

Let's just say I feel a lot better about Bryce Young being coached by Josh McCown and Thomas Brown than I would if his development were in the hands of Matt Patricia and Joe Judge.

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Let's just say I feel a lot better about Bryce Young being coached by Josh McCown and Thomas Brown than I would if his development were in the hands of Matt Patricia and Joe Judge.

Now there's something no one could have anticipated a year ago.  We have a rookie QB who is in a better position to succeed than one who went to the Patriots.  If the team finally turns around here, the moment it happened won't be when we drafted Young, it will be when we hired Reich.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

This dude has been a top 3 QB at every level. You don't become the #1 pick and not put in the work. He has always been smart so this is not surprising that he did his homework on potential coaches.

He's going to shock a lot of the doubters within our fanbase. I been on record he will have established himself as a top 3 QB in the NFC by the end of the season. A rookie leading us to the playoffs is not much more you can ask for him this year. 

QB play has been holding us back for years. It's surprising that we finally got a QB and people still think playoffs are not realistic this year. Hop on the bandwagon before it takes off Bryce Young is the real deal!

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Now there's something no one could have anticipated a year ago.  We have a rookie QB who is in a better position to succeed than one who went to the Patriots.  If the team finally turns around here, the moment it happened won't be when we drafted Young, it will be when we hired Reich.

And/or the day we hired the guy who hired Reich...someone who I was assured on several occasions should have been fired along with Rhule 😕

• Pie 2

How many QBs that are drafted high have all the physical traits? Look at Sam Darnold! Sam is going to be awesome! Wow! Look at the arm on JaMrcus Russell! He's going to win superbowls! Johnny Manziel! That kid has moxy! Baker Mayfield! He was dominant in college! Everyone seems to discount what's between the ears! Knowing how to read a defense and knowing where your guys are going to be on a play, determines their success! Bryce Young has all of that! 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Louie said:

How many QBs that are drafted high have all the physical traits? Look at Sam Darnold! Sam is going to be awesome! Wow! Look at the arm on JaMrcus Russell! He's going to win superbowls! Johnny Manziel! That kid has moxy! Baker Mayfield! He was dominant in college! Everyone seems to discount what's between the ears! Knowing how to read a defense and knowing where your guys are going to be on a play, determines their success! Bryce Young has all of that! 

That's the big debate these days.

Super athlete quarterbacks can absolutely dominate at the college level, but if you're going to succeed at the pro level (and do so long-term) you need a little something more.

In that department, Young has a lot more.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

what I thought early on when i really started paying attention to him is that he's the QB version, at least mentally, of Luke Kuechly.

and Luke was the MLB version of Peyton Manning mentally

• Pie 2

Bryce legit seems like he eats, sleeps, and breathes football...like everything he does is in pursuit of being the best.

I get the size concerns, but there was legit an entire goofy thread about someone saying "Bryce Young doesn't have that dog in him" or w/e which just sounds silly considering how hard he works.

• Pie 2