• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Bryce Young lead Panthers to a deep playoff run?

NAS

On 7/7/2023 at 9:47 AM, PNW_PantherMan said:

I think part of it is the NFC South is garbage.  8 or 9 wins might be enough to host a playoff game.

and if the NFC South is garbage (which I would concur) then the Panthers are the juice dripping off the garbage truck driving down the road in that division. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Well damn!

Sometimes you don’t quite hit it right! Personally, I thought playoffs were a possibility because I didn’t expect our division mates being 6-0 after week 2. I wasn’t assuming we’d win the division just that if we played well in the division it was possible. I also didn’t think 0-2 in division while the rest are again 6-0.

We all thought we were improved from last year when we went 7-10 and our 2023 schedule isn’t hard. I knew we weren’t deep and injuries have already been an issue, but the staff appears to be worse than expected.

• Pie 1

I think Mingo and Thielen would be fine if there was any kind of running game.  Thielen did not just fall of the map in one season.  Guy is a very good receiver with excellent route running skills, something this team has needed for a while.  With no threat of anyone that can run the ball between the tackles teams are able to defense the pass and rush Bryce.  It does not matter who we line up at receiver or who plays QB.  

Thielen is a solid #3 receiver at this stage of his career, but nothing more than that. Mingo is a rookie and a complete unknown who is obviously still adjusting to the pro game. Chark is the only somewhat proven NFL receiver who isn't well past his prime we have on the roster, but he's far from a #1 and is injury prone. TMJ is the biggest mystery of them all; this is year 3 and we know as much about the rookie Mingo as we do about Marshall. He's looked decent at times in the past, but has also had injuries and hasn't looked any better this year than Mingo has. Hayden Hurst is a solid player, but again, nothing more than that. Our other TEs are practice squad level players.

We literally have NO ONE who scares the defense. Add to that boring vanilla playcalling from Reich and an OL that's down two starters on the interior and has basically zero depth and is it any wonder that our rookie QB has struggled so far? I don't care how fast Bryce can process, he can't 'process' the receivers open or the anticipate better playcalling. That's not to say that he hasn't left plenty of plays on the field because he has, but for a rookie to come in and be expected to overcome all of this and play like a seasoned veteran just isn't realistic.

37 minutes ago, Barney said:

I think Mingo and Thielen would be fine if there was any kind of running game.  Thielen did not just fall of the map in one season.  Guy is a very good receiver with excellent route running skills, something this team has needed for a while.  With no threat of anyone that can run the ball between the tackles teams are able to defense the pass and rush Bryce.  It does not matter who we line up at receiver or who plays QB.  

Vikings fans were excited to see him gone. He definitely is on a significant decline. He runs his routes pretty well and is good as a zone buster WR, but his lack of speed and ability to get free from pressing CBs can definitely lead to crap games from him.

21 hours ago, RJK said:

He’ll never get the help he needs because Carolina has no picks to go get playmakers. He’ll be throwing to thielen and Mingo for the next 2 years 

Panthers have 60 mil in cap room for 2024, and 6 picks, including a 2nd and 3rd rounder, which, if the team is as bad many expect it to be, will be, essentially, a late 1st and a late 2nd rounder. Yeah, no first rounder sucks, but, still a lot of talent can be added. 

There was a lot of speculation that the Falcons would trade up for a QB, especially before the Panthers traded up. I was opposed any  trade up and particularly to drafting Young, just because I don't think he can take the hits an NFL QB gets during a season. Early returns aren't great, but you can say that about almost every rookie QB that takes the field. Way too early to say what will happen in the next two-three years.